Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #15
100% bio diesel, I hope it doesn't get cold where you live. What is your gel point? about 40 degrees F? How about injector lubrication? How about carbon build up? What is the cetane number of you brew? I am sure that the Ford engineers have a reason why they recommend only B5 bio fuel-always leary of the backyard chemist who claims a revolutionary breakthrough in technology.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
Ok, here is the scoop. My neighbor owns 2 chinese resturaunts. I use his oil (NICE). I am using the fuelmeister. I sold the wife's toyota and got her a PSD excursion, (she needed a bigger SUV anyway.) I brew about 40 gallons a week and this keeps us both full all the time. My neighbors on both sides Know what I am doing. (obviously one knows I use his oil) I have built a seperate shed to house my system in so it is not an eye sore and to keep it nice. I run B100, aka. 100% bio-diesel, Gel point with soy Bio is about 30* F. We rarely if ever see freezing temps and they heat back up to the 60's during the day so no issues in PHX. If I were to have an issue the way to avoid it is blend it with regular diesel about 20% and add any anti gelling. As far as the cetane levels I do not know what they are. As far as the lubricating factors, my truck runs smoother and quieter, no power loss, and yes I smell French Fries. ( this is the only down fall I see is gaining weight from having the munchies, every time I drive)

As far as the warranty issues, Ford will probably void the warranty in my truck long before they ever see I am running bio, the only thing stock on my truck is the floor mats. The 11 gauges in the cab would probably be the first give away that the truck is modded. (no mods for the bio BTW) For the wifes EX, well I guess we will cross that road if we ever get to it, but when I know more about the PSD then the FORD service techs do it will be a good battle.

My cost is about .60 a gallon and if you calc my time in to it it does go up, but I actually like doing it, kind of like brewing your own beer I guess.

Now for the tax laws, Federal law states I can take/sell 400 gallons a quarter and not be taxed, I am well under this #, I do not sell it, nor will I because should something ever go wrong like somebodies blinker burnt out and they were in a wreck they would find some way to sue me because the wreck was caused be my Bio-diesel BLAH BLAH BLAH. It will take me a short tme to recoupe my costs, and with a fuel savings of 306.00 a month between my wife's and my truck, I easily justified it to her. (I would have done it anyway. Now everytime I fill up or the wife fills up I transfer 75.00. (savings per fill up) into a seperate checking account, all my materials and supplies are paid for from this account and eventually the savings will pay for, a new PSD twin turbo as well as all the maintenece etc. Just gonna run it like a buisness. Sweet huh?

2002, F250, CC, PSD,4x4, with all the extras, 2004 Rampage toy hauler 327, wife two sons and a couple of english bulldogs www.geocities.com/toyhauler2000/firsttrip
Fire rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Great writeup, i am now further intrigued.

and I has only half-way joking about letting your neighbors know, although i have heard a couple funny stories.

I guess those 11 guages might indeed give someone the impression that you might have chipped your truck, IF THE CANISTER OF 'PANE DOESN'T SPELL IT OUT FOR THEM.

and my gut feeling tells me you probably have aftermarket floor mats too, those 1" deep ones are just too darn useful and cheap.
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #18
Okay guys you got my attention. But really how available is bulk cooking oil ? Seems there has got to be more bio diesel entropeneures than spent cooking oil. Is the condition of the oil prior to brewing really that important ? Also how much investment on the refining equipment. I've heard anywhere from 300$ to 2500$ for a turnkey setup. Seems if the oil is abundent we should all consider a transition.
RidgeTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #19

It really is quite easy to do, and as far as oil goes. There was over 840,000,000,000 gallons of oil used last year alone. 600,000 acres could grow enough crops to fuel every registared vehicle in the united states 10 times over each year. And yes all those zeros are correct. Oil is easy to come buy, the hard part is going to ask for it. Also, most everyone I know would just rather pay at the pump and have "convienience", rathe then spend 3 hours going to a couple different restaraunts 2 times a month to pick up oil blah blah blah. i am really happy with my set up and it is going well. Even if I only did it for a year then I have recouped all my costs and saved money. But this is something I plan on doing for a long time as well as I see automobiles headed toward anyway

2002, F250, CC, PSD,4x4, with all the extras, 2004 Rampage toy hauler 327, wife two sons and a couple of english bulldogs www.geocities.com/toyhauler2000/firsttrip
Fire rooster is offline   Reply With Quote