Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #15

56 Nomad,
I no longer change tires on my truck, car or trailer... that's what ERS (Good Sam, in my case) is for.

Been there, done that, but no more!

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhatFireMan:
I make a small fire under the affected side of the trailer, when I get some hot coals going I drop a Sobe-Torch in there. When the resulting fireball lifts up the side of the trailer a couple feet...I shove a bunch of wood cribbing under the frame before it comes back down. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lift mine with my mind

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
alright ... we got Phat lighting a bonfire 'neath his, ...
we got Mind Over Matter Rod,...
and of course Paul's ERS idea...

at least all youse guys have 'A Plan',
apparently i didn't a few months ago ..

I'm driving Cordie and lil' knucklehead up to Yosemite last January. Taking the slow long approach. We haven't hit snow yet, but are on the lonliest stretch of freeway with real spooky dark skies approaching and I get a flat on the F350 front tire.
So, no worries, I have two bottle jacks - a 6 ton and a two ton, I have the OEM jack, i have a good spare, i have my Skoal, and I have that same mat i use to lie on the ground whenever i am fixing my FORD. (beat you to it Don)

The one SMALL thing i apparently forgot was the thin walled socket that takes my mag wheels off. I had taken it out of the glovebox the night before as i was packing all the stuff i would "for sure" need, and i had left them ALL on my workbench back home. I discover this after my truck is jacked up, my mat is on the ground, my spare is out, i have a beak full of chew, and i am ready to impress Cordie with how quickly I am doing this.

So i sat there on the side of the freeway for hours deciding how i was going to ruin my mag wheel so i could get it off with the many sets of standard sockets I did have with me.

That is called 'NOT HAVING A PLAN'.

Some farmer from the Fresno area stopped a few hours later, friendliest dude in the world, insisted upon helping me, had a bunch a thinwalled sockets
"...all my horse trailers use 'em..."
chewed my Skoal with me, helped Codie make fun of me, would NOT take $20 from me as a thanks, and pretty much stood around talking 'George W' and farmin' the whole time it took us.

Next time I'll remember to bring the bonfire material.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #18

Mikey:

I'm looking in my crystal ball, and there's something that is telling me that you'll never, EVER, do that again. My guess is that socket is on your keychain! Whew...thank god for farmers, ey?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:59 AM   #19

yes the tripple is kinda goofy to use a ramp to run it up on to change tires,

its funny how far the wheels will move up an down when trying to get one only off the ground.

i also have just always jacked them up,

i generally end up helping others change their tires , because they thought they could just use wood ,

boy that floor jack and bottle jack sure comes in handy !
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #20

FatDog glad to read one of your life inspiring stories. Been missing you around here. You must be busy this time of year at work? I just need to thank all of you for this topic...Why, I have been so busy trying to get the TH ready for the Maiden voyage that being honest.... I would have forget to buy a bottle jack and probably had a flat on the Pismo trip because of it.(you know how that goes!)So thanks for reminding me to get one. Good post all!

Don

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #21

Speaking of flat tires and the such...let's say you don't have a jack, and you don't have a spare...I've heard (and wondering if anyone has done this) that you can chain up the axle to keep it off the ground to limp to a safe spot. Has anyone tried this before? You know...with 6 tires, the likelihood of 2 tires going is greatly increased. Certainly, you wouldn't want to limp anywhere with a tire shredding as you drive.

Whatdayathink?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #22

yes , i have helped quite afew people with the tripples when they have 2 blow outs in the same trip, ( very common with the carlise and or marathons )

and i just take a tie strap , or tie down or whatever

and just tie the axle side up with the wheel off and let her rip,

you can get it in some where generally,

i did have one that bearly limped 2 miles in off the interstate and the 3rd carlise went on the week side

dam junk tires ---oh well
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
Old 08-12-2005, 06:33 AM   #23

Ahhh...so it's true...good stuff.

I wonder if there's any provisions we can add to the TH frame to make this easier should you ever need it...how did you actually tie it up kelstr?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:54 AM   #24

well the guy "wyatt" i helped, he had a tripple axle warrior 40' 5er, ( im not sure what model, i think it was a low beadroom height model )

and it was the center wheel on the rt side, (really tore the rig up something fierce )

i had loosend the nuts first, and then i had to jack the thing up way far anyway to get the wheel off , and i just kept jacking with my bottle jack and got the thing way up in there and i took three stupid motorcycle ancra tie downs and strung them around the axle just inside the leif spring and went up to a cross support member that just happened to be almost in line with the center axle and just snugged it as best as possable and then let the jack down , ( it took me twice to get it at the correct height it would normaly be at ,

and off we went,

those ratcheting slutty little goofy straps that let you realy suck stuff up would be great for this ,

i think a guy could get in there and suck the axle up and remove the wheel and not even need the jack !!!

i have been meaning to just try it and see.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #25

wait, let me get this straight, you used a ratchet tie-down to suck the axle to the frame for under the trailer to change the tire? I wish you had taken some pictures. I almost have to try that just to see if it works. I dont know about bench pressing the axle from under the trailer though. Thats has Hollywood writen all over it.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #26

I have done this on a tandom axle River rat boat trailer on our way to the river. Might work on a tripple TH but Tandom you would be a fool.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and it was the center wheel on the rt side, (really tore the rig up something fierce ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
kelstr, you are right about that ..
.. four of my buddies borrowed my neighbors WW to haul some bikes to Montana. And yes the tires were a little old. And no they didn't buy new ones before loading about 2500 pounds of bikes.
THREE ! of the tires blew and tore thru the floorboard. One took out the bathroom wall.
They told me that borrowing his trailer to save them from renting a $500 truck, endd up costing them $5000 in repair bills.

Those tires blowing and taking out a wheelwell and flooring at Montana highway speeds, is NOT going to be pretty.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #28

I've got a 20 ton bottle jack and a 3 ton floor jack to get my beast off the ground. Keep my fingers crossed and knock on wood I'll never need them. Never had to touch a tire on the old Nomad in 4 years...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote