Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #1

I had been packing a sissor jack..... but it is
a pain in the butt on the triple axle

I bought a 6 ton bottle jack and that fits just
perfect under the axle U bolts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #2

I had been packing a sissor jack..... but it is
a pain in the butt on the triple axle

I bought a 6 ton bottle jack and that fits just
perfect under the axle U bolts.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I carry a bottle jack and a plate to sit it on in case of soft ground. AND, had to use it on the last trip for the 1st time.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #4

i have a 3 ton floor jack , and i carry a 8 ton bottle jack and lots of wood.
i can get all 6 wheels off the ground if i need to !!
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #5

6 ton bottle jack and a piece of wood for it too sit on.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #6

I use the bottle jack that came with my pick-up and some wood blocks. I don't know what it's rated for, but its strong enough to pick up the front end of a truck weighing 6400 lbs. You only need to lift it a couple of inches anyway and most of the weight get distibuted to the other 5 wheels.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #7

I bought this and have already used it once. It works exactly as it is supposed to.

06 Rampage 387
RRC/AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
RRC/AMC
when you pull the good trailer tire up onto that thing, how far did it raise the flat tire? Since the diameter of that "chock" is a handful of inches, it seems to me it would raise it at least a few inches, what with the suspension settling down a little bit. Interesting.

If it takes the wheel even one inch off the ground, its done its job.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RRC/AMC:
I bought this and have already used it once. It works exactly as it is supposed to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will work great for 2 axles.... But
I've tried it for the my triple axle and it
was useless. The bottle jack is a must for
the big guys
Old 08-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 56Nomad:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RRC/AMC:
I bought this and have already used it once. It works exactly as it is supposed to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That will work great for 2 axles.... But
I've tried it for the my triple axle and it
was useless. The bottle jack is a must for
the big guys </div></BLOCKQUOTE> He said "the big guys", LOL ok ok I'm sry I didn't see some of you guys were runnin triples...

06 Rampage 387
Old 08-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
RRC/AMC
when you pull the good trailer tire up onto that thing, how far did it raise the flat tire? Since the diameter of that "chock" is a handful of inches, it seems to me it would raise it at least a few inches, what with the suspension settling down a little bit. Interesting.

If it takes the wheel even one inch off the ground, its done its job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yea I thought I was gonna have to air down the tire that I was putting back on but it BARELY fit and thats good enough!

06 Rampage 387
Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #12

Ok...found a "Michelin" 20 ton bottle jack @ Costco for $28 (probably made somewhere in Africa or the Far East)...I've used it twice- waiting to see if it'll make it to a 3rd time. My guess- it will, unless I'm stuck in the middle of the desert and need to change a tire, which it will promptly decide to auto-drain its fluid 2 hours before I need it.

I've seen those inflatable air-bags...has anyone used those before? They're kinda trick (but a tad pricey).

Sean
Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #13

I make a small fire under the affected side of the trailer, when I get some hot coals going I drop a Sobe-Torch in there. When the resulting fireball lifts up the side of the trailer a couple feet...I shove a bunch of wood cribbing under the frame before it comes back down.

05 NEXT LEVEL 38CKS http://bestsmileys.com/happy/3.gif
PhatFireMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhatFireMan:
I make a small fire under the affected side of the trailer, when I get some hot coals going I drop a Sobe-Torch in there. When the resulting fireball lifts up the side of the trailer a couple feet...I shove a bunch of wood cribbing under the frame before it comes back down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course you do Phatty! You're Sobe-one-Kanobe, right?

Now tell us how you rig up the "machine-gun" effect so you have some time to change the tire (without blowing holes in the TH floor!).

You silly goose...(Trix are for kids!).