Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

What floor in garage?

Hey guys,
Just got a Sunnybrook Titan 39 toy hauler and I want to open up the wall to the garage so it doesn't seem so cramped. (we are used to a 40' non TH)

The wife wants a "nice" floor in the garage before she will go along with it. I plan to put a desk and 2 recliners back there along with a big screen tv. I don't want to use carpet because I would have to move everything to put it down or take it up.

I was going to put laminate flooring down but then thought it might come apart with the bouncing and loading the Harley. Have any of you put laminate in? If not what did you use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I recently put an Allure floor down in a little apartment attached to our horse barn. It was really easy to put down. Its a vinyl flooring product that has 1" wide glue strips around the edges, It overlaps when it goes down and DOES NOT come apart after it sticks together. It looks FANTASTIC too. It does not stick to the subfloor, so taking it out would be a snap too. Got mine at Home Depot, was about $2.5/square foot if I remember correctly.

Here's a marketing pic from the HD site:

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

That looks good but I'm wondering if the weight of a 700# Harley running across it would push it up against the wall?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I went with epoxy and paint flakes. It's been down roughly 7 years now. Still looks new.

We went with black, gray and white chips but there are other options and solid colors as well.

You can't stain it, oil just wipes up, tires won't mark it up, you can beat it with a hammer and not harm it.

Same look as the DIY kits from Lowes but significantly more durable.

Its a bit dirty now from all the dirt we are tracking in while they pour our new driveway.

The only maintenance required is mopping.

7 years ago it was $5.00 per sqft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	20670  
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB
That looks good but I'm wondering if the weight of a 700# Harley running across it would push it up against the wall?
You don't have to float an Allure floor, you can glue it down like any vinyl floor.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Several companies sell plastic tile garage flooring. I got 1200sf at costco in a black and white checkerboard pattern for my S&B, cost for that was just over a thousand.
Floating, snap together, cut it with a box knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	20673  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #7

I think the "garage floor" he is talking about is the garage in the toy hauler.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

It was already in my TH, but the diamond plate looking vinyl/rubber (?) floor.
I purchased a roll of it for my enclosed trailer and contact cemented it down.
The draw back is it is not necessarily easy on bare feet. Some of the new TH units give you a rug to unroll on the floor when not using it for toys.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Dunno. It's not very flexible. You're thinking vinyl like the kind they used to roll out on kitchen floors. This is more like the vinyl (linoleum?) tiles they used to glue down in schools. Very rigid, almost like formica, but not THAT rigid and twice or more as thick. It's probably 1/8" or 3/16" thick. You CAN glue down the allure if movement is a problem. Score with a box cutter and and snap to size.

I don't know anything about toy haulers, but I'd imagine that:

A) You don't tear into the garage at 100mph and slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the wall. Even if you do, this stuff will probably put up with it if it's glued down.

B) There is some sort of tie-down system to keep the bike from moving when the toy hauler is in motion. So the floor won't be sliding around under the bike when you stop or take corners.

It's worth a look. Home depot has sample tiles for $1 (about 3"x3") of all their colors.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

Remember now, it is PVC.
You will want something gas and oil resistant.
Got it from Northern Tool under floor coverings.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Remember now, it is PVC.
You will want something gas and oil resistant.
Got it from Northern Tool under floor coverings.
Good point. I can't comment as to the oil/gas resistance of Allure.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #12

Thanks for all the posts and ideas. I looked at the rubber tiles but either I would need to cut around the wheel chock and hold downs or bolt them on top of the rubber which would then have "give" and any give over goes the bike.

I saw online where they had a 1 piece rubber mat that was in 4 different colors and it looked good but shipping time was 4 - 7 weeks and we are leaving in 2 weeks for 5 months.

I already went the paint route with the DW to no avail. "We have a beautiful wood floor in the main section and you think you're going to take the wall down so I can look at a painted floor?"

I'll check out the Allure and the PVC sounds interesting i'll check on that. If it won't work I guess the only other thing is real hardwood nailed down... Ouch...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Vinyl expands and contracts with temperature change, like almost everything else. Allure is much thicker than a regular linoleum, it is a 'floating' floor, with at least a 1/4th inch gap around the edges to allow for this movement. I think you'd have issues if you glue it down. It is very durable (25 yr warranty) and would probably do nicely. You could also use liquid bed liner or the epoxy coating sdennislee suggested if you want to adhere to the subfloor. Allure also has 'Allure commercial' that shows it in a garage floor, but still not glued down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Hey guys,
Just got a Sunnybrook Titan 39 toy hauler and I want to open up the wall to the garage so it doesn't seem so cramped. (we are used to a 40' non TH)

The wife wants a "nice" floor in the garage before she will go along with it. I plan to put a desk and 2 recliners back there along with a big screen tv. I don't want to use carpet because I would have to move everything to put it down or take it up.

I was going to put laminate flooring down but then thought it might come apart with the bouncing and loading the Harley. Have any of you put laminate in? If not what did you use?
Did you complete your TH garage remodel? Have any pics? I am considering a similar modification to my next TH because my dream floorplan doesn't exist.