Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #15

Good point! While the tension is adjustable on my door, I don't know how much additional weight it can offset. The door itself is certified by the mfgr to 3000#, so it's relatively heavy already. I would probably opt for something removeable.. I can build one from aluminum tubing and webbing, but depending on the price - I would pay for a set that is already constructed as I have enough projects to keep me busy for the next couple of years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #16

How often do you have difficulties getting a spot for such a long rig? We are still trying to decide which toyhauler to buy.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianne1973 View Post
How often do you have difficulties getting a spot for such a long rig? We are still trying to decide which toyhauler to buy.
Don't know yet as we just bought this one last fall and hauled it home... Mine's 40' plus the crewcab dually hooked to it. There are longer / taller rigs out there, so we won't be alone...
I do know from past experience that some national parks may be a problem and many campgrounds have low overhanging trees, so it would be good to call ahead..
Good luck!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianne1973 View Post
Hi Brianne1973.. Personally I carry 100' tape measure in my TV everywhere I go. I have all the measurements on my smartphone of my 5er, combined 5er & TV, length from front of pin box on 5er to the rear stabilizer. Our RW390 is 42' overall length, combined with TV we are 59' hitched, 39' from pin box to rear stabilizer. Add another 8' clearance if you want to use the party deck, but this can overhang pad site. Look to see if the sites you are looking into will accommodate overhang and how much. If the site you back into has trees at the back edge of the site then you may be limited to actual length of the physical pad site.

This is our 4th season RVing and 99.9% of our stays are in state parks and most all of those are in VA. We use the reserveamerica.com site and other reservation sites to view campgrounds and research the length of their sites to see if we fit. These sites typically provide the length of their sites,some provide pictures of the site. We also do day trips to a lot of places just to visit and measure for ourselves to feel comfortable that we fit. We've visited some private facilities that advertise their sites accommodate our rig, unfortunately I don't feel comfortable that their roadways do. When we stay at a park somewhere, I'm always checking out potential other sites within the park and keeping notes of what may work. When we started out we kept a paper notebook full of notes. I have since started using a mobile device app called "RV Companion" which you can log info about specific campgrounds in the app along with much more info.

The best advice I can give is know your measurements! Know how much space you absolutely need to park your rig then research these places. Call the parks and speak to them. If they are close enough, visit them for yourself to measure them. Most places will give you a pass to go in and visit, drive through, etc to check it out. Most will ask that you not get out of your vehicle and some will allow it.

Hope this helps... Enjoy..
Old 04-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #19

Thanks for the tip on RV Companion! I just got it....
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #20

No problems Big-Foot. The app could use some improvements but it's not bad..

firehawg is offline   Reply With Quote