Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #1

Time for new truck tires. Would like to hear what everyone is recommending. I have a '02 Chevy 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4 pulling a FB2200 Weekend Warrior.

I am looking at LT265/75R-16 BFG T/A KO in a D rating and am also considering BFG Commercial ATs load rating E.

Thanks for any advice.

Weekend Warrior LE3305
King Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #2

Time for new truck tires. Would like to hear what everyone is recommending. I have a '02 Chevy 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4 pulling a FB2200 Weekend Warrior.

I am looking at LT265/75R-16 BFG T/A KO in a D rating and am also considering BFG Commercial ATs load rating E.

Thanks for any advice.

Weekend Warrior LE3305
Old 04-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Salami

Welcome to iRV2!

(first of all, just exactly how many people in Santa Cruz have FB2200's ???? Do you guys have like a club or something there?
I think you are the third person on this site, in Santa Cruz, with a FB2200, and I lived there long ago and I had one too!!)
(Unless of course you are Sandy's other brother, and then I think i have this whole thing figured out. )

I am on my third set of BFG T/A ko. Right now I have 295/75/R16's. The tires for me have lasted 70,000 miles a set and even I almost don't even believe that and I'm the guy tellin' the story. I've have them on my truck now and two sets on my last Jeep. They are solid lasters. Like all A/T's they are not perfect at everything, I've been stuck in mud and snow and sand upon occaision, but they are a true A/T and the best compromise I've seen.

I like the looks and tread of those Commercial TA, the ones with the offroad type grip, and sure like the Load-E rating since I have single rear wheels and tow a trailer, BUT since we air down A LOT sometimes out in sandland, i gotta wonder what airing down to 25 would do to a load-e? I bet a load-d doesn't necessarily like it a lot either, but would it actually HURT a load-e?

Aagain, welcome to iRV2 !!
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #4

Mike, thanks for the warm welcome. You almost figured it out. I am "Mr." Sandy Feet a/k/a King Salami around these here parts.

After thinking it over I decided to go with the BFG T/A KOs in load range D. They still give me plenty of capacity and a better ride and that sand thing you mentioned certainly is a consideration. Nothing worse than breaking a bead out in the middle of nowhere.

Hope to meet up with you soon. Just as a heads up, we're thinking about hitting off Jawbone or Dove Springs sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Nick

Weekend Warrior LE3305
Old 04-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #5

it is great to finally meet you Mr Sandy Salami, ehhh .. KING Salami.!!
We have all really enjoyed the escapades of your clan here on this site. They're an unruley bunch, but good to the core.

And those darn BFG T/A KOs I feel are just the best tire for the terrain we shove at our truck. Their mudders are probably a lot better in the mud, but these ATs wear forever and handle sand and street well! Good tire.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #6

... and where is Jawbone and Dove Springs ..?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #7

Wow...this is really starting to sound like "All In The Family"...King!!! Welcome! 56 has certainly set the new standard, so be sure to let us know when the transition from 22 to 33 happens.

No doubt...tires are tires, and I can't believe Mike sounds like a tire guy instead of a saltmine operator. I'd like to think my Big O's have some value, but if there's a soul out there getting 70k on 'em, then I better become a convert- my F250/SLC3705 ('95) chews up tires- 80k on the truck and I'm on my 3rd set (hummmmm...I wonder if Banks has sumpthin to do with it?). Actually, I'm on a set of Bridgestones, and they're already goin' past the Big O's (but I still bought 'em from Big O).

Again- welcome...I'll leave the tire experts to their biz...sell on guys!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #8

Mike: Jawbone and Dove Springs is a terrific riding area off Rt 14, just north of Mojave (Hway 58). We are planning on the weekend of May 13-15, maybe a couple of days before and/or after.

Go to Yahoo Maps and plug in Jawbone Canyon Road, Cantil, CA.

Sandy Feet
SandyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Sean, Its not the Banks, its the lead foot!

Welcome King, Tell Sandy to fix her avitar, somewhere I heard that she was going to change that.

I'm going to have to defer to Mike on the tires, if he can get that many miles I'd say go with them. May have to look into them myself as the old Chevy is going to need some soon, course, I have the same problem as Sean except mine is called EDGE. Hummm, got a good story on that too if you don't mind.

I put the box on and went out to test it, put it on level 4, thats the most, and pulled out in the street, its blacktop, decided I'd stall it up just a bit. Turned it loose, the rpms went up, the rear duals started jumping up and down trying to dig a hole in the blacktop, shut it off before the whole rearend came out. Decided that wasn't a good idea so this time I just floored it from a stop, let the turbo come in and left 4 black marks through 3 gears before shutting it down. The holes are still there in the pavement! Who says diesels aren't fun!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #10

Sandy,
i am going to yahoo that Jawbone Canyon Road tonite and see whats the scoop. after three months of no-trailer, i am really ready to go get dirty again . plus i'm a week behind 56 in getting it and i can just read all his tech-pubs while I get my rig together. and if i say that outloud any more times he's going to ask me for $20 the first time we run into each other

and Tom
i think the ol' lead foot just might have something to do with it. so you're saying that maybe you can't run the revs on a dually before your pop the clutch like you can on a 1/4 mile vette? i'd like to see your customized pavement.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #11

i found it i think, is this it??:
http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Sou...oneCanyon.html
and this is it, with one of those 'virtual reality' motion pictures that you can control with your mouse.
and not only that, but there is '56's white truck stuck again in this picture too!!!
what place hasn't he got stuck at would be the easier question ????
Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Naw, its that Allison that does it.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #13

Tom,
at San Diego Chargers stadium here in town they had one of those local 'drag' nights set up a handful of months ago, but it was a 1/8 mile. all good fun. you run what you brung.
we road our bikes out there just to horse around and watch and it was good stuff. a little informal, you could just about walk up to the cars as they were staging and doing a wet burn out to warm the tires. I was walking up and down the two lines of cars that were qu'ed and was talking to all the truck guys and of course all the Chevy guys were talking smack when i told them my PSD with off-road tires could get to the end of the track, turn around and meet them half way before they even hit the brakes the first time, you know ... i was just giving it to them straight, and they started up with all their boasting. it was like $25 and you could timed drag anything you brought as many times as you wanted to wait in line.

now if that doesn't make you want to pack your rig and head on out here for a weekend ...

plus Barona just a few miles up the road from me has bike drags,
and then there is 'El Cajon Speedway', the 'fastest 3/8 mile in the West' that is a couple miles away also. i would, say after 20 years of observation, that El Cajon Speedway should claim more fame for more guys accidently spilling beers all over me as we watch the racing every Saturday nite, but maybe their marketing department is cluless
Old 04-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know, it reminds of a place I used to run back when I was young called yellow belly dragstrip outside of dallas. They used a guy with a flag to start, you had a finish light to show the winner, and it took a lot of drinks just to get to the line. Now thats REAL drag racing! I know just what you mean about the "smack", have to measure the BS in buckets. Thats what dragracing is all about.