Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #1

Fourth time a charm? This will be the fourth forum I've tried for some info maybe someone here has some insight even though I prefer a MH w/gargae, probably haveing trouble navigating due to being a FNG (funny new guy) and all the cutting and pasting from one forum to another I've been doing.
Thought I would try up here I have the same question in MH and TT/5th wheel/IRV2 generall disscuss.
I'm new to the site (buddy told me about it) and have a H-D RoadKing and I'm lookin for a motorhome with a garge to tote it in. Lookin at the Coachmen Freedom 295th, Gulf Stream Endura Max, and the Four Winds Fun Mover. The Endura Max and Fun Mover have diesel options (dura max/cat) (ouch!$$) which I would prefer though. I was wondering if anyone owns any of these and has some insight. I found a 01 Fun Mover 35C with the 225 cummins but I don't know what the HP/tourque is for that, maybe under powered? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #2

Fourth time a charm? This will be the fourth forum I've tried for some info maybe someone here has some insight even though I prefer a MH w/gargae, probably haveing trouble navigating due to being a FNG (funny new guy) and all the cutting and pasting from one forum to another I've been doing.
Thought I would try up here I have the same question in MH and TT/5th wheel/IRV2 generall disscuss.
I'm new to the site (buddy told me about it) and have a H-D RoadKing and I'm lookin for a motorhome with a garge to tote it in. Lookin at the Coachmen Freedom 295th, Gulf Stream Endura Max, and the Four Winds Fun Mover. The Endura Max and Fun Mover have diesel options (dura max/cat) (ouch!$$) which I would prefer though. I was wondering if anyone owns any of these and has some insight. I found a 01 Fun Mover 35C with the 225 cummins but I don't know what the HP/tourque is for that, maybe under powered? Thanks

Old 05-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #3

....off list ...how much are you looking to spend?.....geofkaye
Old 05-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

The guy with the 01 is asking $83K which is in the ball park.....Bill
Old 05-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #5

.....too much....get a trailer off one of the racing forums and an MTD or a HDTV and enjoy life a little.....50k will be more than enough for a top of the line unite......geofkaye
Old 05-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #6

.....go look to TruckConversion.net for a few ideas....geofkaye
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #7

Geofkaye, new to this whole MH world and trying to figure it all out. Don't ahve anything to pull a trailer with (my S-10 4 banger can't even get out of it's own way!) and I went to the site stated and used trucks/conversion w/garage (only one they had) was way to much $$, ******** ideas though. Maybe I'm not understanding were you're trying to take me, ya know us FNG's......Bill
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
TwinCam (FNG)
i'm not sure you can beat a twincam roadking for The Most Versatile of all home brewed bikes.
and fourth time a charm? my first wife would have told you that ANY number two would have done, but i'd tell her you can only fall off Mt. McKinley once
you come to the ToyHaulers arena for great advice and a friendly chat, well you won't go away entirely empty handed
you're moving up from a S-10, fair enough, well those class-C's with the garage are one sweet step up. i'd do it in a minute. just not any minute for a while personally, but still the same - very nice rigs.
if you're ready to toss $75+ on the table for an enclosed unit, i also would look at a truck conversion. the guy down the street from me has a Peterbilt conversion and i love to walk around it looking every time i can.
Me ????, i'd take that same coin and get what i thought you said in one of your posts that you didn't want - a diesel PU pulling a toybox 5'r. little bit more room, a LOT more versatility, and gives you the chance to mix and match more during purchase.
i sure would like to hear how your decision making process evolves. its going to be great, and i'd sure like to see it
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #9

FatDog, the RK is sweet for sure, I see you have some nice scoots also. I went to the site geofkaye sent me to and they did have some seet rigs for sure. I spent 4 years in the Seabees and and operated a tractor/trailer a little bit (very little bit) and it was cool and had a good time but not sure I want to do that. Somethin about the towing thing I'm not crazy about. I did look at toy box here in Lancaster and it was pretty awsome, was impressed with the room, etc. The tag was $45K and if I bought a truck (instead of the wanna be S-10) I'd be right at about the same as a MH/garage. I got some friends on the site (TwoOFUS) and they are saying "just do it!! but when I figure the cost, ya know the dead presidents(Grant, Washington,Jackson,etc) I get scart! I can retire in 4 yrs and house paid in 6 just hate the thought of having another payment. Enough whinning for now, thanks......Bill
Old 05-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #10

twincam
look at some rigs that regular guys have, not just ones on the salesfloor or websites
i don't know where you live, but i had the feeling you were an Orange County guy?? (you post this question a lot and i can't remember where or why i got that feeling of O.C.) but that means that there are guys on this site that are close enough by you, or find some, and get real world opinions. sit in their rigs. there sn't a guy here who wouldn't show you his rig and give you the real pros and cons of it. see what the fulltimers are using. look at what some of the guys here who have had 2 or 3 or 4 rigs are towing. don't consider putting any dough down until you are over the wide-eyed looking around.
remember, as soon as you've retired, you're going to want to drive Alaska one year and to either the Nor'East or Baja,Ca a couple later. Take some time, rent something for two weeks, have a little fun.
Hang out here, read and talk for a while,..

i don't know a single person here who likes to gab,

Mike
Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #11

Well...gabby here, but I wish I could contribute to this $64,000 question...the only one I'm remotely keen to is the FunMover, but that's only because I've seen it more than others. MH with a garage would be nice!

Wish I could be of more assistance! I can see where this would be a tough one to track down, because there are definite differences between anything that comes with a garage ANS an engine. But I have to admit- if I had a choice of a gasser over a diesel, DIESEL anyday. And then between the duramax and a CAT???!!! It's about eh only 'feline' I'd have in my repetiore!

Good luck twincam! Keep us posted, er...you keep postin' and we'll read, OK?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #12

FatDog, actually I'm a desert rat , sand in my teeth! 70mi N of LA, Antelope Valley/Mojave Desert(born/raised). The renting thing is what I told the LiL women we should do and go from there. My Uncle had a custom 5er(guess that's right) and big ole ford truck and did the Alaska, etc and had a great time. Heck if I keep hangin around here I'm liable to convert, oops guess it's hard to convert if ya don't have anything to convert from!!....Bill

Gabby, you're the first to say you're druthers, druther have a 'feline'. I believe diesel is the way to go too. I heard felines can be a tad bit more $$ to maintain and depending on where you travel and finding a place to work them versus the cummins. I haven't heard much about the dura max dieselthough. I know the Gulfstream has the Endura Max with the dura max diesel (that was almost confusing) and it is very similar to the Fun Mover. Thanks for ther info.....Bill
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #13

Bill, your conversion has already begun

and CAT, or Cummins DIESEL, or Duramax, or MDT w/6.0 PSD - start a thread to see who prefers which diesel and platform. you're going to get equal takers across the board.
But the one thing everyone can agree upon though,
everyone who has the Perfect Rig, aint on their first.
Look long and hard, ask ?????'s.

(I lived in China Lake for a small handful of years. It IS a little different then living at the beach in your neck of the woods, ehhhh?)
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #14

TwinCam,

Just where do you live out here? I'm in the Rancho Vista area of Palmdale. Anywhere close?

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote