Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
With all our chatter about winterizing I forgot about the other issue that has me thinking 'what were they thinking'. The furnace. They block the air return with the stairs. A furnace needs air and the filter needs to be changed ocassionally. And there's an empty cabinet right beside the furnace!! There's more splainin to do Lucy.

Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hoverbug:
Just for info, my previous experience with Onans has led me to using Mobile 1 5W40. They purr like kittys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hoverbug,

In the past, I've purchased the Onan filters
at Camper World for about $10

The Onan 5500 manual says the first oil change should be at 20 Hours and I'll be using Delo 400.

I use Delo 400 in my Duramax, both Honda quads and
my lawnmover. It's nice to use only one oil for
everything.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I like Chevron oil also. It Makes the Burb happy and I be using it in the Ford. As I said I like synthetic in the gen, and if I'm going to use syn it's going to be Mobil1.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't it easier to put it in the garage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... WW does not ship with the valves installed. Even up here it's considered a consumer add on. A shame really because so many folks face an expensive repair not because they are careless, but because they are uninformed. The water pump valve is only about $15 and the water heater bypass about $20. The install is only about 30 min. each if that.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now this i would like to see a pic of. Have you put those valves in yet Hoverbug?
You sure wouldn't think a couple valves would be so hard to include with the base model trailer, i wonder why they don't come with it originally. Now admittedly, i bet the bulk of the WW's are sold here in SoCal, and at my house in the dead of winter it can get down to the high 60's .
Good catch on that mod Dave.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't it easier to put it in the garage? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats my pick! My garage even without heat only gets down to 27 or so when its 0 outside. Water never freezes, I keep a plastic bottle with water sitting there so I can see. Course, I usually blow the lines out anyway just to be safe and antifreeze the traps and the tanks.

FYI, If you unhook the hose to the outside shower and open the valves it will drain. But, with real cold weather and the trailer setting outside, better run the pink stuff.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, Tom, if you're in a moderate climate and particulary if the rig is garaged blowing the lines will suffice. But you know once you get these valves installed it's quicker that blowing out the lines.

Hey Mike! Glad to see you back. No, I have'nt installed the valves on the LE yet, But I do have them on the Ken-Craft. I'll go take some pics of that. If the pump & heater are accessable the install can be done by anyone that can pick up a cresent wrench. The valves I bought from my local rv shop are a Camco product.
http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCategoryId=10000&SubCa...d=229&Product Id=2271

http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCategoryId=10000&SubCategoryId=228
Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was over at Pioneer RV, our friendly Mom & Pop rv store and repair today. Went looking for MaxAires but Bill,the propriator feels that they have become too proud at $32 each; so he now carries a simular cover, VentMate at $22 ea. In fact it is heavier duty that MaxAire.
While there I asked him about installing a pump converter to the LE. His suggestion was to attach the valve right at the bottom of the front tank where the water line begins. That would be an easy install and a good idea. You would then have antifreeze right from the tank to all lines in the rig. Of course it does'nt really concern you folks in SoCal.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You would then have antifreeze right from the tank to all lines in the rig. Of course it does'nt really concern you folks in SoCal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave:

Antifreeze to us down here is what we drink during the winter: bubbly, whether it be pre-mixed, or the mixer itself.

But you never know, any of us can be transplants any time soon!

You gotta link for the VentMate?

Sean
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here it is Sean. Will install them today.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=496&pageNum=217