Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #1

While I was lubricating the suspension, I decided to rotate the tires as well as inspect/lube the wheel bearings. It looks like we have a zerk available after removing the rubber cap.

It appears the the factory used a different kind of lubricant for these axles. Looks like a clear green grease. I wonder if lithium grease is called for........ or any suggestions from you mechanics.

Thanks.

Previous Rig: 2012 Itasca 30'
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #2

While I was lubricating the suspension, I decided to rotate the tires as well as inspect/lube the wheel bearings. It looks like we have a zerk available after removing the rubber cap.

It appears the the factory used a different kind of lubricant for these axles. Looks like a clear green grease. I wonder if lithium grease is called for........ or any suggestions from you mechanics.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:26 AM   #3

56, That looks like a bearing buddy, commonly found on boat trailers. Good for the outside bearing but in my experience I've seen to many people get a false sence of security by keeping the buddy full of grease. Problem is they only grease the outer bearing, not the inside bearing. I've seen boat trailers stuck on the side of the road with a burnt inside bearing and the outer was fine. People still have to pack the inside bearing from time to time. As far as the kind of grease. I've seen that kind before but can't remember what it is. I think lithium would be fine as long as you were repacking the bearings. Don't know if I would mix different greases though. Good news for me is I can count on you to have all this zirk fitting and grease stuff figured out before I get home....making it eaiser for me and everybody else!! Thank You.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #4

Griz,

Glad you made me do some more homework before I started putting grease into that zerk.....

Looks like I'll repack my wheel bearings when I do my first brake overhaul.

Click Here for Why Not To Use Zerk On AL-KO "Ultrulube"

Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #5

Howie:

Everyone will owe you a BIG THANKS for bringing this subject back up again...do you remember me telling everyone about my Bearing Buddy Experience a couple of years ago?

I'll reitinerate...I had taken the old SLC3705 to the WW factory in Perris to have new fresh water tanks put on it (geesh...that's another story in and of itself), and they must have thought they need to grease the Bearing Buddies I had put on the rig a few years earlier. Well...we were going on our 2nd Utah vacation trip and on the way to Vegas it seemed I didn't have any brakes on the trailer. I really worried about it coming down the grade into Stateline, so we got on the phone and found a trailer parts dealer in Vegas, so we stopped, bought all new brake pads, magnets, and seals and proceeded to Mesquite, AZ, where I had lined up a mechanic to look at it on a Saturday that we were going to be there. Come to find out, each of the wheels had about 2 pounds of grease inside each drum- they used over 4 cases of brake cleaner to clean up everything and installed my new brake shoes (magnets were just fine). Parts were over $500, and the labor to make everything OK was about $700, and we didn't get to leave for the next destination until Sunday.

Being a bearing peddler for the last 29 years, I've got to tell you that MORE BEARINGS FAIL FROM OVERLUBRICATION THAN FROM UNDERLLLUBRICATION. It's because grease has a tendency to hold alot more heat the more that's in the bearing, and a bearing only really needs a costing to do it's job. Of course, I knew that, and I only pumped about two grease gun pumps in the Bearing Buddies about once a year. Obviously, the WW technician didn't...

So anyone who has this inner zerk- PLEASE just put one or two squirts in annually- it doesn't take a whole bunch. The inner seals really aren't designed to keep any more than maybe 20-30 lbs of pressure, and any more grease will just blow right by them and get all over your brakes.

Thanks again Howie!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote