Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
So the '2's are an easy rebuild...

but if you have a '4' streetbike,
and i think just about every guy in the US seems to have owned a Honda 350 or 750 in his life,
and if you didn't run the 4 too hard like Jay's racer is obviously ridden, those 4's just seem to last a very long time.

i rode my Honda 750-4 for many years when i was a starvng student (ie: never had money for oil changes or tuneups), and I had bought it used from someone who rode it fast and put it away wet. I needed money when i first got married a long time ago, and i sold that 750-4 for a few bucks to some guy and i told him in all honesty that he maybe had a few more miles on that bike before he had to tear thru it. He test rode the bike for a few minutes and then came back and handed me the cash, and drove it to Alaska a couple days later!!!. He called me up and told me he had gotten there. (although he never called me up to say he got back )

So those '4's on the highway and around town, just seem to keep on going, and going,...

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #30

Clark & Mike:

Yeah...I happen to be a Honda freak...my bestfriend's owned the Honda shop way before he took on Yamaha, so the RED set in pretty darn good before the blue did. My 350X is a 3-wheeler, and honestly, has been through EVERYTHING....including my son when he was 3 or 4 putting the hose in the tailpipe. I just changed the oil twice, and she's been running ever since. I've had 3 2-strokes and had to get into every one of them more than once- I was never so glad to get rid of my son's YX80 a few months ago before I would have to do that one for the 3rd time (in 1 1/2 years)!

Mike: your 750-4...what year? I had a 82 CB750F that we terrorized Palms-to-Pines and Ortega Hwys for a while, then I got the 1982 CX500 Turbo about 4 months later...what a bike- still wish I had it. But I got outta street a while ago also...

Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #31

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mike: your 750-4...what year? I had a 82 CB750F that we terrorized Palms-to-Pines and Ortega Hwys for a while, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sean, for the life of me I can't remember, but that is probably right at the same year for me too. I sold the bike more then 15 years ago, and when i had bought it, it was 'old'.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #32

I had a CBR 900 RR about 10 years ago that was as temperamental as my first wife. I had to adjust the valves on that thing almost weekly. It was an AWESOME bike though. The power to weight ratio was scary. I miss street bikes.

Another thing to keep in mind is what type of transmission a bike has. A wider ratio tranny will help preserve the life of the motor. That's why most XR's can go like donkeys before they need to be opened up...

And Clark.. You owe the engine God's something for the good mojo on that Banshee... Man, more then 10 years on a motor??? Don't EVER let me on your toys!

Jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, with that being said, I just plunked down a deposit on a '06 YZ450F... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, well that has all changed now. I spent a few hours on a CRF450X and immediately got my deposit back from Yamaha and bought a brand spanking new Honda CRF450X....

Isn't she sweet!

The best part.... is the happy button!

Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #34

I just rode it.....

Old 06-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #35

Jay!!!

Good choice!!! You'll love that Honda lots betta than the Yami...ain't she sweet?

Good for you! (Happy button... )
Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #36

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...CRF450X ...!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
all day long at work today after you first posted this, i tried to make time to go across the street to the BikeCenter across the street and check that CRF out...
... one of those days I couldn't leave the saltmine for the whole 12 hours.
Tomorrow I will be able to walk around it for awhile and check it out.
SWEET !
And that Go-Button is a keeper!!
Very nice
Old 06-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #37

It's every bit of a MX'r, even with the added weight. On the scale it is a pig (~255 lbs) but it is so well balanced. I took it into some tight twisters out here by my house, and it squirted around corners like my YZ does. The center of gravity is so low you can't even tell there's extra weight on her.

The power delivery is almost too smooth. I am used to a little more grunt and snap, but this is a green sticker, CARB-butt sucking bike - in stock form. I'll have a new pipe on it in a few weeks and I'll drop the 2 lbs of California mandated, air injection crap and it will scream off the bottom end...

Old 06-29-2005, 08:17 PM   #38

Nice bike Jay, I know your going to love ridin' red.

The best part is the green sticker, you can ride where you want, when you want.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by high desert:
Nice bike Jay, I know your going to love ridin' red.

The best part is the green sticker, you can ride where you want, when you want.

Wes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Wes...my best friend's got the complete package...dealer plate...talk about being able to ride it ANYWHERE! Boy if you could plate it, that would be the happy-hookup...so many trails are non-green these days...

Awwww shucks...you've got some great ridin' area up there Jay...all our friends are dirt guys up there...Senoir Joseph even has his own named trail...the "Miller Loop" out in Apple Valley. And I'd place bets on a run out to the Slash here pretty soon, ey?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:42 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And I'd place bets on a run out to the Slash here pretty soon, ey? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh man, that is a weekly run for me. Except this weekend. It's the 12 hours of Glen Helen Baby!! I may not be walking on Sunday, but I AM going to get on that bike again very soon......

Old 06-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #41

ooooooo...Jay....the 12 hours...are you in on that? Hence the 'buy'? Are you going to sacrifice the bike for the 'cause'? I can't tell you how many times I saw that happen with our Honda/Yami group...

In the last few years, our big gig @ Glen Helen has been the 24hr...until a really good friend turned into a quadrapledgic last year at the 24...he'll be home this weekend from his Tucson rehab and he'll be over the house for the 4th...lots of progress, and Geoffey a fightin' kind of guy...he ain't quittin yet...never will.

You're so close that maybe we need to hook up with the group here soon...say, October?!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #42

Sorry to hear about your friend. I don't remember hearing about someone getting that hurt last year. I have a group that does the whole series (6, 12 and 24 hour) I ride slow in my old age, and I am never in the "I want to win" mindset for an endurance race like that. The way I look at it is; surviving Glen Helen is winning. We have 2 teams sponsored by Amsoil. A slow team (including me) and a fast team. One of our fast guys is a former pro from the 80's who was the 4 stroke nationals champ in 81 (I think that was the year) and also a Outdoor Nationals contender for many years. He is still scary fast at 47.

No, this bike isn't going up in the 12 hour. Probably the 24 though. This one and an XR400.

Let me know when you want to do a ride. I'm always game....