Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
And last but most important:
Do you buy the biggest ToyHauler that you can possibly tow, or the smallest one still capable of haulin' what ya brung?

yea Jamman, ... it has been a couple years since I had my checkbook in my backpocket and was climbing back and forth between sitting on top of that 426 and the 250. Ended up putting it off for another day. And now you got a YZ450F on the way. Nice machine, no doubts. That machine is not for everyone either.

Some guys will 'green sticker' it only, "why hassle it?",
and others have a green AND a red in their garage "gotta do it!!".
(for you out-o-staters: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928 )

We've already heard that the general concensus among us is that 2 and 4 wheelers ride fine together,
but who prefers which one, and who maybe has one of those in theri garage but wants to go try the other side?

Got any 'shee riders here screaming up Comp Hill? Or does this crowd have the single thumpers building their way up to high speeds?

Anyone race-ready their 2 strokers?

I got a number of road bikes. A lot of cubes sitting in my garage.
But over the years I've gotten very at ease with that ol' 400EX of mine while on the sand. Ol' Red. I would guess either every guy here has owned or ridden a 400Ex. there's a reason why they are popular too.

The screamin' 'shees never were my bag of tea, but quick??? Oh man..smokin.
But I have been feeling a strong gravitational pull this past year again to wonder on over to the BikeCenter and check out the 2 wheelers. Going home to 'mama'.
hhmmmmm

My trailers, i've always gotten what I thought was the SMALLEST i could get away with and still get my stuff out there. Rails, buggies, and jeeps obviously take a bigger trailer then when you are just bringing a BBQ and a single bike. We bring 3 bikes sometimes, but those fit any space just about.

There has GOT to be a huge range of stuff people here are bringing out there;
and whether that Red sticker 2 stroke is mandatory for you, or maybe that low thumpin' auto-tranny 250EX is just what mama ordered.

Whats up

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
And last but most important:
Do you buy the biggest ToyHauler that you can possibly tow, or the smallest one still capable of haulin' what ya brung?

yea Jamman, ... it has been a couple years since I had my checkbook in my backpocket and was climbing back and forth between sitting on top of that 426 and the 250. Ended up putting it off for another day. And now you got a YZ450F on the way. Nice machine, no doubts. That machine is not for everyone either.

Some guys will 'green sticker' it only, "why hassle it?",
and others have a green AND a red in their garage "gotta do it!!".
(for you out-o-staters: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928 )

We've already heard that the general concensus among us is that 2 and 4 wheelers ride fine together,
but who prefers which one, and who maybe has one of those in theri garage but wants to go try the other side?

Got any 'shee riders here screaming up Comp Hill? Or does this crowd have the single thumpers building their way up to high speeds?

Anyone race-ready their 2 strokers?

I got a number of road bikes. A lot of cubes sitting in my garage.
But over the years I've gotten very at ease with that ol' 400EX of mine while on the sand. Ol' Red. I would guess either every guy here has owned or ridden a 400Ex. there's a reason why they are popular too.

The screamin' 'shees never were my bag of tea, but quick??? Oh man..smokin.
But I have been feeling a strong gravitational pull this past year again to wonder on over to the BikeCenter and check out the 2 wheelers. Going home to 'mama'.
hhmmmmm

My trailers, i've always gotten what I thought was the SMALLEST i could get away with and still get my stuff out there. Rails, buggies, and jeeps obviously take a bigger trailer then when you are just bringing a BBQ and a single bike. We bring 3 bikes sometimes, but those fit any space just about.

There has GOT to be a huge range of stuff people here are bringing out there;
and whether that Red sticker 2 stroke is mandatory for you, or maybe that low thumpin' auto-tranny 250EX is just what mama ordered.

Whats up

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #3

Dang Fatdog, is this a first ... one of your posts without a reply.... for hours. What are these people thinking.

Well I like all motors 2 stroke 4 and diesel. My BNL has 2 shee's, his and hers. I ride the yfz and I bought my daughters the blaster because I fill the 2 stroke teaches the ear for shift points and of course having to kick start it reenforces it. besides I like laughing at them. I will ride with anybody 2wheeler or 4. I owned an old rice burner street bike and honda 70 as a kid but, I know myself two well and would hurt myself on a YZ450 or the like so I'm content on 4 wheels thes days.

As far as TH size. Its like the garage. Get the bigest you can because you know your gonna fill it up!!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #4

OK,
I somehow looked over this post eariler.

Well as I have gone away from the THer, started little-went big, I still can't get rid of my quads. I have a 90-shee (mine) a 91 250R Suzuki (son Keven's although he thinks the shee is his) and a 94 Blaster (was daughters and wifes together). In the garage I have a 2001 Honda Shadow Spirit (mine) and a 2002 R6 Yamaha (sons-way to fast for me).

It took me up until 2 years ago to get my street MC license and let my son get his. Too many years of picking up the pieces off the streets of Redondo. But I can honestly say I have missed years of fun. Love to cruise!!!

I will ride with anyone that has something to ride. That's just the fun of it, riding with the wind, sand, bugs in the face...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:45 PM   #5

Clark:

I did the same thing thinking "what the heck am I gonna respond to first"? Mikey packs a whole bunch in there to go after, doesn't he?!!

Ok...I'm gonna take jab at this...wheels: (truck) "the more the merrier" (unless they all wear out at the same time!)...(bike): 3 (I'm an old 350X guy and still have my '85) Sandcar: 4 (kinda hard to drive on anything LESS). Strokes? 4 Baby! (Again- the "more the merrier"). Sticker? Anything that'll get me on the trail I wanna ride on, but usually green (for GO).

And sorry Mikey...haven't been on a streeter since 1985 when I traded in my 82 Honda CX500 Turbo(darn...those were the days) for the 350X...good 'ol Uncle Tony (my best friend - the Honda/Yami dealer) has been tryin' like the dickens to change that, and when I get old, I'll have a Wing that WILL have power windows AND a sunroof! Unless HD somehow arm-wrestles Honda's stockholders into a 'buy mode' (wouldn't THAT be the day, but then again...we've got the Chinese who want to buy Unocal...go figure), and now I gotta worry about 'sunroof bolts' falling out of the sky.

Trailers? you really need an answer on that one? OK...had to go SLC3905, and really was going to go for the extra 4 feet so I made sure I had enough room, but even though I allowed for 48 feet for the RV home, I wudda needed to built the funkiest gate to allow for the extra 4 feet or start cutting into my dock...glad I went stock.

I know I missed a point, but my fingers are tired, and they need a 12oz to cool them down right now...more to come!

Sean
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #6

FD, you sure know how to keep a subject focused and concise...

Like Griz said, buy the biggest trailer because you will fill it up. Our first trailer was the smallest that would do the job, that lasted about a year. I wouldn't mind an even larger one now.

I like 4 wheels for ease of riding and 4-strokes for ease of operation. Electric start too. I just sold my beloved Raptor 660 and put down a deposit on the new Raptor 700. Can you say Fuel Injection???? My wife has a Raptor 350 and a Wolverine 4x4 which is semi-auto. The Wolverine is so much fun to ride, I like it almost as much as the Raptor.

Also, really loving the buggy. We were thinking of getting a Rhino, but this is way more fun.

I'm not really a dirt bike rider, I've spent a little time on them, but quad riding came more naturally for me. I've had several street bikes, standards and sport bikes. I hope to get another one someday.

2007 Rally site
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #7

Hi Mike,

I love to ride, be it two or four wheels. I started my off-roading with four wheel drive trucks and Sue and I would spend days exploring. Now, with a family, we've moved to quads. There's nothing like the family riding a trail building family memories.

I like riding with anyone, on anything, all I ask is the two wheel folks don't lead me down the singletrack trails.

As far as the size of TH goes. I went with the largest my burb could tow.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #8

You hit the nail on the head and drove it home wes. That's what got me into this whole TH thing was how fast my kids were growing and how much "Family Fun" playing follow the leader is on the quads. Good times......
Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #9

My family started riding and going to Dumont way back in the winter of 92. Our little 2 family group turned into a party of 9 families, with EVERYONE riding something. There were times we went on rides, adults on the big bikes and kids on the suzuki 80's, and we would have a train of 15 to 20 riders. Just cruising the dunes with the kids, some of the best times I can remember. We got a TH'er when they were still the oddball on the block, small one, but just right for a young family. As the kids got older, we went up in size. Now the kids are almost gone, daughter married and son in college, Robin and I decided it was time to go high end and get something nice!!! But riding is still as fun as ever. I finally got Rob on my Honda and we spent 1 day riding thru Yellowstone last year, one of our best days together. And I try to ride with Keven every other week thru the local canyons, life is good. Unfortunately I still have to deal with reality as I did the other day when some young kid riding too fast ended up in the side of a van that didn't see him (bummer).

You guys with young kids, enjoy every ride with them, you will look back on those rides forever, as you said Don, GOOD TIMES...

It's thru riding I have met some of the greatest people I know, and it keeps getting better

Clark

Old 06-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #10

Clark My sister is a Paramedic and her husband a Firefighter in Olympia Wa. My dad was a L.A. Firefighter for 30 years. Thanks for all you do. My sister tells me the details from time to time. You guys shure do see it all. God bless!

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 06-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #11

Don,

My hats off to you my friend!!! People throw around the word hero to often and to easily lately. You sir, and all of the boys and girls standing on the wall and in the sand are the true Hero's. I can't wait to shake your hand and say Thank You!!! I know not everyone agrees with whats going on right now, but when I hear people complaining I always ask them, Do you remember?

I'll have a cold one waiting for you soon!!!

Clark

Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
Don,

My hats off to you my friend!!! People throw around the word hero to often and to easily lately. You sir, and all of the boys and girls standing on the wall and in the sand are the true Hero's. I can't wait to shake your hand and say Thank You!!! I know not everyone agrees with whats going on right now, but when I hear people complaining I always ask them, Do you remember?

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Griz: ditto on Clark's words [salute].

And we ALL will have a cold one for ya...promised not to drink before you do!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.CARNEY:
Don,

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Griz: ditto on Clark's words [salute].

And we ALL will have a cold one for ya...promised not to drink before you do! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said Clark. And that's right Sean, we all owe Don, BIG TIME!!
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #14

HD!!! Geeez...seems like a coon's age since we've talked! Glad to see ya 'alive and kickin'! Dittos again on our heroes and their contribution to society- can't say enough! To both Griz & Clarkie Baby....[klink].

OK...has everyone covered all of FatDog's fine points...better delve into that primary post and see what we can pull outta it...there's a GOLDMINE in there!