Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Which brand would you not buy?

Upon doing research upon research, I would like try another direction. Which brand of fiver toy hauler should I stay away from?
jamesr3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Anything made by Thor
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Do your research. Lots of crap being made and sold out there. Good luck 😜👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #4

Do your research and then go out and look at them, as many as you can. You will see the quality issues people talk about, and when you look at the lower end price brands vs the higher price brands you will definitely see the difference. The bottom line is quality is in the mind of the beholder, what may or may not be important to you may be to someone else. And remember you get what you pay for, so buy what you really want. At the starting price point spending a little extra may be well worth the cost.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a KZ Sportster 41 toyhauler and were very happy when we were using it. We recently upgraded to a coach and are in the process of selling the 5er.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
Anything made by Thor
Please explain...the Thor group of brands includes many fine RV's from AirStream, to DRV Luxury Suites, to The Coleman pop-top (yes, named after the famed lantern maker).
Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

Key Stone, Heartland and K-Z make highly regarded Toy Haulers.

I agree with the poster above that says each of us must decide. The really cheap units will be obvious.

Best luck to the OP
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Anything made by Thor
So you just ruled out 75% of the RV market. Including the Airstream brand, not that they make a toy hauler.

Thor has various levels of service across their sub-brands.

The bottom line is this:
There really isn't much construction difference between manufacturers. They all use the same frames, add to that frame wood or aluminum construction. Add a wood or aluminum roof trusses. They get skinned differently - fiberglass or aluminum. They are ALL assembled by human beings where the speed of manufacture directly impacts the bottom line.

They vary in interior trim out. A few (not many) vary in suspension systems. They vary in complexity of options. They may vary in terms of quality of insulation, amount of insulation, and windows. But they are largely the same sort of basic construction techniques.

Most sales people point to the level of trim/options as "quality". It is not quality. More options mean more systems.

Not all will provide end owner support other than the dealer.

Generally, the less expensive brands (IMHO) tend to be less good about warranty and support. That's what I've observed. That doesn't mean they are bad products.. In fact, you may be better off buying a less expensive Thor product over a Jayco of the same feature set, if you don't have many issues.

Most manufactures tend to provide suspect tires, especially on heavier rigs...

They all seem to have issues out of the factory. I don't see any brand exclusions to this.

If you're buying used, most of this stuff is warranty - which only matters for the first 1-3 years. If you're buying used, things may be different - I'd pay much more attention to how well the RV was cared for than who made it....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quality cost money. You get what you pay for. The thing that irked me the most with my previous toy hauler was the chaotic mess behind the basement wall. It did it's job, and we enjoyed it a lot, but that was always in the back of my mind.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Anything made by Thor
agree
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Please explain...the Thor group of brands includes many fine RV's from AirStream, to DRV Luxury Suites, to The Coleman pop-top (yes, named after the famed lantern maker).
Operating Entities - Thor Industries, Inc.

Key Stone, Heartland and K-Z make highly regarded Toy Haulers.

I agree with the poster above that says each of us must decide. The really cheap units will be obvious.

Best luck to the OP
Yes, Airstream is crap. I don't want to have to go the local Airstream dealer and take pictures of poor workmanship on EVERY one on their lot. We gave up on our last visit. We walked from one to another next to it of the same model and walls were crooked, outlets were blocked, cabinets were not aligned, etc.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
agree
So you are stating a DRV Fullhouse is crap. Thor owns DRV.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've been looking at new toy haulers for some time. This would be our 3rd. First was a Keystone, our current rig is a Glendale Titanium.
After my first experience with Keystone I would have to think long and hard about purchasing another Keystone. Not a pleasant experience.
Our Titanium has been a great rig, it just needs some updating. The only reason we have been looking is for some of the more modern convinces and a different layout.
In all the research of many toy haulers, in what I would consider a mid priced rig I like the Venom. The 3911 has a great floor plan for us but I have lots of reservations about the purchase of a first year product run.
I've spent some time looking at DRV and not convinced they are worthy of the price point. I do like August RV and have had some great conversations with them. Forks RV is tops on my list but the current business climate is telling me NO.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #13

Thanks for the input.

I believe that it seems it has come down to DRV, New Horizon, Heartland, Key Stone. I havent really spent time looking at K-Z or Jayco, but I will give them some more time. It does seem most everyone has the same concern with most of them as far as axles and tires go. I would like to have a 12'-13' garage and a TV in the living room that is not at a 90 degree angle from the seating. I would also like to have 40' plus.
jamesr3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also own a Keystone (Carbon) and it's been a reasonably solid RV, short of needing the TPO roof material replaced (it wasn't installed correctly).

I will say that Keystone does not provide direct customer support in most cases. You will not (effectively) be able to get any repairs on the road from another Keystone dealer without likely waiting months. You'll be very dependent on the dealer after the sale.

Their warranties exclude interesting things like "cosmetic" - meaning they can replace your roof, have it look like crap (affecting resale), but you're stuck with the way it looks as long as the roof is functional. My roof turned out OK, but I've seen some horrible results from dealer repairs that Keystone refused to address.

Before you buy, read how they respond to consumers on the BBB. I don't really concern myself with the volume of complaints (they sell a LOT of RVs), but you can get a feeling of how they treat customers.

I will also say that I think their RVs are good value for what you get.

Jayco has better support.. Heck, I'd venture to say that MOST manufacturers are going to give you better end user support.

I like the Momentum series - they are very concerned with their reputation. If I was going to buy another one, that's where I'd be shopping. I think Jayco is fine too.. DRV (which is thor) has lots of features and improvements over other brands.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote