Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Which device to test start up electrical load to determine genset?

Im trying to determine if a yamaha EF2800i will power my coleman 13500 AC. I don't mind turning off the AC to run something else, but buying a new generator which wont even power my AC would be a expensive lesson.

Is there a device I can plug in between my city power outlet and my trailer which will record peak startup amps when testing? I just cant take the risk of buying to small of a generator, even though the numbers look like they work.

Thanks!
rerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, there is a electrical device available from camping stores. You plug the meter thing into the outlet, then plug the appliance into it. Now all that is left is to turn on the appliance. Instant reading. there is an easier way. read the Air conditioner manual. It will have the amps needed to start and to run. Compare that to the out put of the gen set. My portable Honda 2000 would power my 13,500 air unit. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

That's rated for 20.8A @ 120V. That will run, and should start an AC unit. The breaker is only 20A for the AC anyway.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

Yes it looks like the 2800 shouldn't have any problem.. But is the increase from 51.5 - 61 dBA (EF2000iS) to 65 dBA - 68 dBA (EF2800) worth saving about $1000

Isn't the 2800 almost twice as loud as one 2000?

?
Old 08-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
Yes it looks like the 2800 shouldn't have any problem.. But is the increase from 51.5 - 61 dBA (EF2000iS) to 65 dBA - 68 dBA (EF2800) worth saving about $1000

Isn't the 2800 almost twice as loud as one 2000?

Yes, that is why I bought the Honda 2000. Very quiet. then I bought a larger trailer and had to buy a 2nd unit so I could run both air conditioners. also bought the wiring adapter that allows you to hook them together. safe travels... ed

?
Yes, that is why I bought the Honda 2000. Very quiet. then I bought a larger trailer and had to buy a 2nd unit so I could run both air conditioners. also bought the wiring adapter that allows you to hook them together. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
Thanks Ed. I'm leaning toward a Yamaha and see the EF2400iSHC (53 dBA / 60 dBA) can be paralleled like the Honda's. Maybe I wont need a second with the 2400.. But whats with the Continuous Operation at 1/4 Rated Load at only 8.6 hours??
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

NOTE: The EF2400iSHC will NOT run most RV a/c units and does NOT have a 30 amp electrical receptacle. YAMAHAGENERATORS.COM DOES NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING THIS MODEL TO RUN YOUR RV AIR CONDITIONER
Right from your link. However, then in the specs it says it'll run 13.5K BTU ACs, and the 1/4 rated load is different from the Yamaha website.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
NOTE: The EF2400iSHC will NOT run most RV a/c units and does NOT have a 30 amp electrical receptacle. YAMAHAGENERATORS.COM DOES NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING THIS MODEL TO RUN YOUR RV AIR CONDITIONER
Right from your link. However, then in the specs it says it'll run 13.5K BTU ACs, and the 1/4 rated load is different from the Yamaha website.
Yes I saw that.. But after checking the numbers with a clamp on.. (12 amps running and 16 startup) Im confident the EF2400iSHC can do it. I will offer my local dealer $1200.

Tags
electrical