Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Heathland cyclone!

chiefneon is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
"So I got my first toy hauler about this time last year and have only had it out about 1/2 dozen times, but I've decided I do not like it- everything about it is flimsy and very poorly built. A 2006 Cherokee Wolfpack 295, a 29.5 foot fifth wheel unit." - Info pulled from your different posts.

Alan, sorry to hear you don't like your Forrest River, as I have one - but a different model - a 2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV. It is a TT not a 5th wheel. There are some things that are poorly designed and built on mine (drawer supports- kitchen), but overall it is a well built unit. I got mine at a steal of a deal and really like it. The frame seems to be fairly HD and nothing has gone really wrong other than plastic pieces dry rotting and breaking (open door catch and vent cap). Something I consider normal wear.

I know there are different levels of manufacturing among brands, and in some levels, costs are cut severely at the expense of how well built they are. Since you already have the trailer, IS the design and layout to your liking? IF so, DO you think you can upgrade the construction of your unit? I have done a few modifications to mine and they were fairly easy fixes. I had to remount the dining booth support to my wall due to me standing on the seat to reach something. It wasn't designed for 270# standing right next to the wall support. I relocated the screws 1/2" to one side and it holds now. The trim next to the front bed was coming loose because it was attached with a 1" lip sticking up, and my weight on it, getting in and out of bed, was too much. I reattached it without the 1" lip and it still covers the seam of the bed support box and the wall. The front upper support for the rear bed, when it is up in travel position, was mounted from the factory with screws MISSING the frame behind the wall. I fabricated a steel bracket to reach the stud myself and now it is as good as new. Mine is a year newer than yours and I accept that things are going to wear and break with age. Looking at the cost of a newer upgraded unit, it is WAY far better for me to fix my unit than buy another one. For me, no payments is making mine very enjoyable even with the little fixes I have to do.

I hope you get an outcome you are happy with. Having something you do not like can make things unhappy.

Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
My DW and I just placed a 2014 Dutchmen 3605 on order. After much investigation, this is the one that fit our needs and had placement of everything just as we like it. The quality of the unit appears to be top notch and for us the price was right.

We are looking forward to lots of good times in our new toy hauler.

2012 Ram 3500 DRW, 6.7HO
2016 Dutchmen Voltage 3970
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote