Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Who makes a good toy hauler?

After 2 motorhomes, I decided I wanted a fifth wheel toyhauler so I could leave the trailer and such. I won't say the brand name because of the rules about not brand bashing ( a little weird-- we can't say if we don't like something )

So I got my first toy hauler about this time last year and have only had it out about 1/2 dozen times, but I've decided I do not like it- everything about it is flimsy and very poorly built. Due to a inadvertent mishap with fire hydrant at the edge of a driveway at a fuel station, I think it will be totaled, so I'd like to hear from people about good rigsthey are happy with, have had good luck with the quality and such.

I will be replacing a 29.5 foot fifth wheel unit.

Thanks folks

Alan n
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #2

when I was looking at toy haulers every one I talked to with a KZ loved them. I have not owned one so this is just here say. hope this helps

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I've had a KZ Stoneridge Sportster toy hauler for just over a year now. It has been absolutely trouble free. I think the quality is very good for the price point and really like the floor plan. My 41 CKS has the TV across from the main seating area so you don't have to swivel your neck 90* to watch it. There is good cross air flow in the bedroom with a window over the head of the bed and another directly across.

Just went to the factory sponsored KZ owner's rally last month and was very impressed with their wanting to hear the owners ideas for improvements to their product line. They even sent techs to the RV park to make repairs on some of the rigs in attendance.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #4

Thanks-- I'll check them out. I guess most of the good ones aren't as plentiful in the used market because people keep them more then junk.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
I've had a KZ Stoneridge Sportster toy hauler for just over a year now. It has been absolutely trouble free. I think the quality is very good for the price point and really like the floor plan. My 41 CKS has the TV across from the main seating area so you don't have to swivel your neck 90* to watch it. There is good cross air flow in the bedroom with a window over the head of the bed and another directly across. Just went to the factory sponsored KZ owner's rally last month and was very impressed with their wanting to hear the owners ideas for improvements to their product line. They even sent techs to the RV park to make repairs on some of the rigs in attendance.
I just checked NADA RV and they don't list KZ-- is there another part of the name there or something- I've never heard of them.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
I just checked NADA RV and they don't list KZ-- is there another part of the name there or something- I've never heard of them.

Alan, try this:
KZ Recreational Vehicles: Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, and Toy Haulers
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

If in the market for a toy hauler and you want the ritz. Newmar X-AIRE is the way to go. Hard to find now but super nice.
dynacopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynacopas View Post
If in the market for a toy hauler and you want the ritz. Newmar X-AIRE is the way to go. Hard to find now but super nice.

Well, while I may like the Ritz, that's not my budget-- ( I'm trying to remember the Ritz- Carlton I stayed at for a conference once,,, hmm think it was Lake Las Vegas, now a Hilton )

Got my 2096 Cherokee Wolfpack 295 wp for about 13.5 and put a few hundred in having the dealer install a mount for a 42" flatscreen and run cabling-- probably should have spent another 4 or 5 grand and or bought private party.

Looks like I'll be keeping this for a few more years though-- body shop quoted 8400 and said it booked out worth about 15k- so I guess my insurance company won't total it. But I will avoid metro RV on Burbank CA an Forrest river / Cherokee. After I got the toyhauler I brought it back to metro and they supposedly fixed the generator that always shut off after the load drops off-- like after the coffee brews or the microwave finishes - then won't start for hours,,,,, that, & rusty fuel station & and few other things weren't fixed at all-- time for small claims court.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Well, while I may like the Ritz, that's not my budget-- ( I'm trying to remember the Ritz- Carlton I stayed at for a conference once,,, hmm think it was Lake Las Vegas, now a Hilton ) Got my 2096 Cherokee Wolfpack 295 wp for about 13.5 and put a few hundred in having the dealer install a mount for a 42" flatscreen and run cabling-- probably should have spent another 4 or 5 grand and or bought private party. Looks like I'll be keeping this for a few more years though-- body shop quoted 8400 and said it booked out worth about 15k- so I guess my insurance company won't total it. But I will avoid metro RV on Burbank CA an Forrest river / Cherokee. After I got the toyhauler I brought it back to metro and they supposedly fixed the generator that always shut off after the load drops off-- like after the coffee brews or the microwave finishes - then won't start for hours,,,,, that, & rusty fuel station & and few other things weren't fixed at all-- time for small claims court.

2006 not 2096
Old 11-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #10

We just bought a 2014 Fuzon 390 and love it. This is our third toy hauler and our largest. we full time and this unit has a second bath which is a Godsend when you need it a lot of storage we added addition shelves in the cabinets. The only thing this one didn't have was a washer dryer hook up in the garage but a hundred bucks later I took care of that. If you want one with the patio set make sure you find a unit with it already installed , because its expensive to add it later.
FULLTIME5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTIME5ers View Post
We just bought a 2014 Fuzon 390 and love it. This is our third toy hauler and our largest. we full time and this unit has a second bath which is a Godsend when you need it a lot of storage we added addition shelves in the cabinets. The only thing this one didn't have was a washer dryer hook up in the garage but a hundred bucks later I took care of that. If you want one with the patio set make sure you find a unit with it already installed , because its expensive to add it later.
Last time I was out camping a family had a new Fuzon; it looked nice and they really liked it. My insurance co didn't total my forest river Cherokee so I guess I'll be keeping it awhile.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We have almost 12K on our Cyclone 4100 King. It was, as far as I could find, the only Toy Hauler on the market at the time with a King Size bed (Mandatory for us). I know there are several now as of 2014 MY. It is a residential KS bed, and uses normal KS bedding and mattress toppers. It also has a King Size bathroom with a sunken tub and shower. We have absolutely loved it and our problems have been minimal. All warranty items on parts by other manufacturers. It is a load. SRW's need not apply.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

Check out DRV's Full House. Toy hauler and very nice.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

Take a look at the Momentum line by Grand Design, I bought one and LOVE it!!
Kordog is offline   Reply With Quote