Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #1

Tom,

Your new avatar is great.......What's your best speed/time?

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #2

Tom,

Your new avatar is great.......What's your best speed/time?

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
that IS a great pic Tom.
Talk to us about that engine and the blower.
And speaking of tiiires, you go thru 'em quick with that thing?

and the Griz is sporting a new avatar. I tell you Griz, those are stunning machines.

and Wes, while we're at it, I NEED that tractor. Thats a classic. I'd need Griz's heli to get it onto my property, but maybe he'd help out ....
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #4

FatDog I just thought it was time to show the rear of that thing to keep in the spirit of the TH theme. Hydraulic ramp, Gotta love it. Hey maybe you could just drive off the ramp with a chute attached..... Get Er Done

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks guys, I thought it was about time for a change.

Its a picture of my 66 with a little playing around with the art work. Turned out kind of neat I thought.

It runs 9.80's at 139 MPH in the quarter with a 1.40sec 60 ft time. Still has the corvette swing axle rearend in it, just beefed up a little. The class it runs in requires that the rearend/axle is stock type which makes that the limiting factor in how fast it'll run. How fast can you get it to run and still be reliable, thats the question.

FD, thats all engine on 110 octane racing gas. 509 CI at around 800 HP. Single 4 barrel Holley 1050 CFM. 13 to 1 Ross pistons, Roller cam and valve train, Chevy LS 7 rods and crank, Brodix Alum heads, all in a bowtie chevy short deck big block. Using a 3 speed turbo 400 manual shift transmission, 3600 stall Trans-king converter, 4.56 gears and 31x13x15 Firestone slicks.

Leave the line at 2200 on the converter, Shift at 7500 and come through the traps at 7850.

It holds the NCCC drag record for RPA at 9.77 at 138.98 that I set in 1997 and reset in 2000 with the identical same time.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #6

Hey Tommy:

Great avatar! That's one heck of a 'chine there! Gonna bring it to Moab?!

And Griz...nice butt shot of the ol chopper! Hydraulic gate...now that sounds like a great mod!

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Sean, No, don't think it'll make the trip. Could be a bit of a problem getting traction in the dirt and rocks, not to mention the clearance issue. Oh, and fuel too. Nope, think the old broken down Jeep with the 4 wheel drive, higher clearance, and unleaded fuel will be much better suited for the environment. Besides, its much easier to get in and out of!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #8

Tom, that is one hell_ of an avitar. Just jumps right at ya. Had a neighbor own a 67 back in 75. I think I was 15 he had all the neighbor hood kids sanding on that thing for weeks. He raised all the body lines about 1/2" than painted it beer bottle metalic and built the 427 up guite a bit. Gave us kids a ride for all our help when it was done. I remember that like it was yesterday. Beautiful car, I've wanted one ever since.

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thanks Griz! It turned out really neat. I forget what I did but I took one of the drag pictures and reversed the colors, reversed imaged it, or something like that and it ended up looking like this. Love it when a plan comes together!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:48 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
did the Turbo 400 require a shift kit to hold the gears without trying to jump up a gear? I had one once on my '64 Chevelle.
And that 509 might have made your engine-well different, but i distinctly remember being able to sit in the engine-well to adjust the solid lifters every Saturday afternoon.
What DID that 509 come on originally anyway?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
FD, The turbo 400 Has all the good stuff, Kevlar bands, low gear sprague, Stage 3 shift kit, governor locked out, 2.75 low gear planetary, extra plates in the servos, just all the heavy duty hop up tricks to make it very strong and positive. It will go into and hold any gear you put it in no matter what and only shift when you move the lever. With a rear gear of 4.56 it gives you 5.13 effective gear in 1st, 4.88 in 2nd, and back to 4.56 for 3rd.

The engine is a special block offered (not anymore) by Chevy and not put in any production car. It is a Siamese cylinder block without water jackets between the cylinders, can be bored to a max of 4.625 and is clearanced on the bottom to accept up to a 4.5 in stroke without modification. High nickel content and comes with a 4.250 semi finished bore, then you take it to whatever size you want. 509 is a good limber size, popular, and can RPM pretty high with good grade parts without having to go to the real high dollar stuff. Poor boy go fast motor! Machine shop does the machining, I do all the assembly and tuning.

I have also built 7 small block motors that have held national drag records in their respective classes for Corvettes.