Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #1

Wow...used my fuel station for the first time at home this last weekend (got it on 6/1/05)- figgered I'd go back a few weeks and use some $2.10/gal gas for the Jeep before I take the rig to WW for warranty repairs and let all those yahoos siphon all my gas out for their Chevy Vegas- and yuck! I didn't think anything could be that bad. Wound up using it as weed killer fluid. It took some time to get it cleaned out, and I got the Jeep full and no problems.

Now...as far as I can figger, the bulk of what was bad was in the hose- if you've got a fuel station, and you're using it for the first time, you'll want to check it. But it begs an even bigger question- just how long can you have 'good gas' before it goes bad? Howie's got a mod for being able to switch tanks (dammm...need to get that one done), but was this a case of just the initial fill? And may it have been something that can linger in the station's system itself?

Things that make ya go...hummmmmmm....

Sean

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #2

Wow...used my fuel station for the first time at home this last weekend (got it on 6/1/05)- figgered I'd go back a few weeks and use some $2.10/gal gas for the Jeep before I take the rig to WW for warranty repairs and let all those yahoos siphon all my gas out for their Chevy Vegas- and yuck! I didn't think anything could be that bad. Wound up using it as weed killer fluid. It took some time to get it cleaned out, and I got the Jeep full and no problems.

Now...as far as I can figger, the bulk of what was bad was in the hose- if you've got a fuel station, and you're using it for the first time, you'll want to check it. But it begs an even bigger question- just how long can you have 'good gas' before it goes bad? Howie's got a mod for being able to switch tanks (dammm...need to get that one done), but was this a case of just the initial fill? And may it have been something that can linger in the station's system itself?

Things that make ya go...hummmmmmm....

Sean

Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
come to think about it, .. i can't remember if that thing has a filter.

there should be an inline filter that is easily accessed, maybe in the pump station box

when i let my gas sit in there for a couple months, i just fill up Cordie's car.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #4

What we talking here Sean, Rust? I'm about to fill mine for the first time before Pismo. Whats up?

06 LE 3505
Grizwald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #5

There is a fuel filter before it goes into the pump. Might be a good Idea (Chance for another Mod) to put a better filter on there.

Griz

06 LE 3505
Old 08-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #6

Nope...looks like those hombres hocked some loogies into the tank...it was nasty. I kept looking at the bottom of the 5gal can I was using, and, unless I didn't have my glasses on, I couldn't get a clear bead at what I was looking at. It cleared up, but it took probably 2-3 gallons before it did (I've got a LOT of dead weeds now).

BTW...I was pretty impressed at the flow of that pump...5 gals took only about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes to fill.

Sean
Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #7

wait ... did it come from you, or the gastank
wheres the filter going?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #8

That sounds like condensation, Water?

Fatty I just did the fuel tank mod this week end. The filter is an inline filter right before the fuel enters the pump.

06 LE 3505
Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #9

those cheap little $4 porous stone filters usually don't let too much go thru them. I painted one of my bike tanks once, and for a couple months was draining and shaking PAINT stuff from that darn filter. Well, at least i was draining the paint from the filter that didn't get through it and stop the carb's float needle from moving. Kinda hard to beadblast the inside of a tank after its been pearled. In retrospect, i should have covered the hole. obviously
Old 08-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #10

Do the Onans have a fuel filter? Might be a good idea to put a inline on that feed also!

Don

06 LE 3505
Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #11

Guys:

I think the trick is to use it on a regular basis... In fact, anyone wanna buy (cheap) about 7 of the plastic quick-dump MC cans? I'll get Brian to use the fuel station for the lawnmower...alot easier to use!

But I am wondering why WW didn't clean it out before delivery. Maybe it should be a PDI item, ey?

Sean
Old 08-15-2005, 08:43 PM   #12

I've got an inline filter on both the fuel station and the generator.

Sean, thanks for the heads up on this, I'll try mine in the morning.

Wes
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #13

actually, good call Griz on the Onan filter, and Sean good thread.!
We should toss a couple extra fuel filters in the ol' stuff-drawer in the trailer, and check both of them out now and then.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #14

I think I will pull the honda and the tahoe next to the trailer and run it dry after each outing. That way I start with fresh fuel each trip. That would put a damper on a long weekend to be cleaning gunk out of the quads instead of riding them.

Don

06 LE 3505