Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

I think some on this board may have gotten WW to issue a new GVWR sticker for there trailer, how do you go about this?.
My tires are 3500lbs each and my axle's are 6000lbs each, so take away the pin weight and this trailer should have a 18,000lbs rating right?

2008 WW SLC3905
JRBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #2

I think some on this board may have gotten WW to issue a new GVWR sticker for there trailer, how do you go about this?.
My tires are 3500lbs each and my axle's are 6000lbs each, so take away the pin weight and this trailer should have a 18,000lbs rating right?

2008 WW SLC3905
Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #3

Not in California. I have the same deal but a 15k sticker. Type in weight on the search and read some of the solutions. It will help clear up the confusion.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #4

JR:

I was the one who got the updated sticker, but only because I had a "friend" in the biz. Couple of things here: 1) I had to upgrade my wheels/tires to the 16's (which is an option now with WW- not that it wasn't earlier, but I believe it's more reasonable now), and 2) my understanding is that they'll be offering an updated GVWR sticker for those who HAVE upgraded to 16's for a "nominal" charge. The problem has been that anything over a 15k sticker has required a Non-Comm Class A CALIFORNIA license (here in CA), and regrettably they have been reluctant to mention this requirement for fear of scaring off potential buyers. I think the wave now is that, IF you absolutely need the weight requirement (and didn't fall off the turnip truck just before arriving at the dealership , meaning you've done your homework and you already know the requirements) that they'll do it for you. A Classic case of the squeeky wheel.

Since I haven't revealed my source, I can also tell you that, at least on the SLC's, that they're actually built for 24k...a 18k sticker still affords a 1.50 service factor, which in any business other than commercial aircraft, is a pretty good insurance policy for a builder. Of course, to give them credit, they're only trying to pad themselves from some idiot who tries to load the darn thing with 15k of extra "stuff", takes a little "hoot", then wraps the doggone thing around some gas tanker going down the interstate doing 80 mph. Unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

Honestly, I was very upset I couldn't get the Jeep in our SLC when the whole reason for buying a new unit was to DO SO! (Which is why I had stated "you can put one on the roof, but certainly not IN IT"). It actually did get some attention, which is one reason why I am now blessed with more GVWR. That-coupled with the fact that there is more consternation these days when people finally undersand their vehicle weights- is only a matter of time before the John Q. Public becomes much more wiser and demands better attention to this detail.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #5

Sean, do you have a higher rated pin box then me?
Sticker on my pin box says 19k lbs.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Not in California. I have the same deal but a 15k sticker. Type in weight on the search and read some of the solutions. It will help clear up the confusion.

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rod,

I also had a 15K sticker when I picked up the rig.

I politely argued my case to WW and they issued me a 16K sticker as some later produced'06 LE305's had been bumped up to the higher GVWR

I'd give them a call.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lincster:
Sticker on my pin box says 19k lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linc:

I haven't looked at my pin box rating, but that's not what I'm talking about- what I'm referring to (with the 24k comment) is THAT is the design spec that WW built the chassis on. It might very well be that the pin box is only 19k, but that would still have to be a buffered number (which, if you really think about it, if that WAS the actual rating, how'd they get it exactly 19,000? Why wouldn't it be, like, 18,892 or 19,127? ).
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWFan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lincster:
Sticker on my pin box says 19k lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linc:

I haven't looked at my pin box rating, but that's not what I'm talking about- what I'm referring to (with the 24k comment) is THAT is the design spec that WW built the chassis on. It might very well be that the pin box is only 19k, but that would still have to be a buffered number (which, if you really think about it, if that WAS the actual rating, how'd they get it exactly 19,000? Why wouldn't it be, like, 18,892 or 19,127? ). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Rod: Howie's right- there's been a whole bunch of people who have successfully got WW to get them a 16k sticker- for just the asking. That goes along with what I was saying earlier- they've been limiting GVWR to 15k primarily due to the licensing requirements. However, IMHO, there's still alot more people who don't know or have the RV endorsement (not the Non-Comm A) for even being over the 10k limit for a non-endorsed Class C!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #9

I have not weighed my trailer yet, but as others have said it will probably come in around 14.5k dry and after you have all your water, propane etc., I probably have less than a 1500 lbs cargo capacity on the 16k sticker now, and I just received my non-commercial class A license so it should not be a surprise to WW.
When I bought this from the show at Pomona the display said I would have 19' of cargo to the kitchen cabinet as it turns out I only have 18' if I had known this I would have got it plus 2' so relying on WW sticker does not mean much.

2008 WW SLC3905
Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm not going to say a word! Darn, am I glad. I'm sorry!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #11

JR- Yep...that's what we call "Trailer Sticker Shock", or "Trailer Shock & Awe"...you must have got a lot of the goodies with it.

What is your TH passion? 2 Wheelers, quads, sandcars?

And don't worry 'bout 'ol VR's comment - he's just glad he's got an older SLC! (Which, BTW Tom...where is it in your sig buddy?!)
Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #12

Quad's for all and a Polaris ranger for cruising around to the desert bar, Valley of Fire and the Dunes of course and other places.

As for goodie's on the SLC all except drive on wheel boxes, BB-Q, Ramp rm. and flipped axles.
Funny how when your going down the list you just keep checking off the boxes

2008 WW SLC3905
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #13

I'm another who got WW to issue a new GVWR tag. I had to change the tires and wheels also......Yikes, I don't even want to go through that again.
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #14

Mine came with 16" wheels and 3500lbs ea. rated tire from the factory, so it should not be a problem for WW to issue a new sticker.

2008 WW SLC3905