Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Man I hate to do this, but I sleep better at night passing these types of knowledge on.

Take a look at this site. Hopefully they can work this out.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/trailerdefects.htm

Rod (0===0)

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #2

Man I hate to do this, but I sleep better at night passing these types of knowledge on.

Take a look at this site. Hopefully they can work this out.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/trailerdefects.htm

Rod (0===0)

WW LE3505
Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Rod, You know, they need to keep their stuff together and right if they expect to hold their market share. Some of the things I've read kind of make me glad I bought mine early in the game. Hope you and the family are doing fine.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #4

Hey Tom, thanks, thing are good. I actually found out about the lawsuit from a competitors salesman. He obviously didn't sell WW's and me telling him I had one apparently gave him the right to bash them. At first I didn't believe him and thought it was some scare tactic. I went home and Googled it and that is what I came up with.

I don't have this model, but I have a WW and it scares me to think of what might come of this. Especially since mine is for sale and the RV market sucks right now.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Especially since mine is for sale and the RV market sucks right now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow man, I didn't know you were selling, whats the deal? Upgrading or getting out?

We're getting ready to put ours to use shortly, a trip to Branson for a week for the iRV2 convention, then off to New Mexico for two weeks. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 AM   #6

Tom,

I love Branson. Have fun.

No, not getting out, changing teams to a class A. It is a better fit for the family. It used to be that I would take all the quads out riding, (mine and my buddies and who ever else), but all my friends that I went riding with have either moved on to other stuff and don't have time to ride or have moved away. My kids are still too young to ride, so I got the Bronco, but it doesn't fit in trailer with the slide and it is too much weight for my truck. The next best alternative is a class A. I already have a trailer for all my toys.

I want to be able to take trips up to see my dad in Idaho and other friends in AZ and Utah and two little kids don't travel as well in a fifth wheel as they would in a motor home. This way I can get on the road and drive until I am there rather than stop every 6 hours to camp or 30 minutes for someone to go pee.

If you know anyone who is looking, let me know. I am asking 36k but that is never for sure.

Rod

WW LE3505
Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by melon:
Tom,

I love Branson. Have fun.

No, not getting out, changing teams to a class A. It is a better fit for the family. It used to be that I would take all the quads out riding, (mine and my buddies and who ever else), but all my friends that I went riding with have either moved on to other stuff and don't have time to ride or have moved away. My kids are still too young to ride, so I got the Bronco, but it doesn't fit in trailer with the slide and it is too much weight for my truck. The next best alternative is a class A. I already have a trailer for all my toys.

I want to be able to take trips up to see my dad in Idaho and other friends in AZ and Utah and two little kids don't travel as well in a fifth wheel as they would in a motor home. This way I can get on the road and drive until I am there rather than stop every 6 hours to camp or 30 minutes for someone to go pee.

If you know anyone who is looking, let me know. I am asking 36k but that is never for sure.

Rod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Rod!!

Doggoneit...lost another one to Ditech...err...a Class A.

Hey- I totally understand the change- youse gotta do what ya gotta do. I know we're kinda out of the cmaping season, but when we get bakc into it we'll have to get hooked up and go cmaping somewhere- it's been a while!!

You take care and give FebDeb and the kidlets hugs and kisses for us, OK?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #8

Im not gone yet Sean. We still have to sell ours.

WW LE3505
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Rod, You DO know that once a toyhauler, always a toyhauler, no matter what you drive. In other words, we'll still enjoy your company around here.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #10

Hey Guys,
I found out today that the lawsuit settlement will only re-emburse for damages and repairs to the trailer. It will not fix the HUGE issue of the toung weight of the trailer being "ILLEGALLY OVERWIEGHT".( over 12K) I am going to weigh my trailer tomorrow and find out exactly how much WW lied to me about the weight of my tongue. Apparently WW will own up to the actual tongue weight, I think that will put everyone on the hook for knowing that the trailer is overweight.

Try and ask your insurance company if they will still insure you and your trailer once you know that the trailer tongue weight is overweight, try and ask the CHP for an exemption of the Vehicle code. It is different if you get stopped by the CHP driving an overweight Fifth Wheel, you can always get a bigger tow vehicle to pull your trailer for you. Not so with an overweight pull trailer. There is NO WAY to make an overweight tongue "legal" you cannot get an exemtion from the vehicle code. The only option is to have the trailer flatbedded to the WW factory and have it dropped off. It is illegal to pull a trailer with a tongue weight over 12k!

And now this class action lawsuit didn't have enough gumption to get WW to buy the illegal trailers back. They are only going to fix the damage that is occurring to them.

I dont think, now that i know the trailer is probably illegal, that i can drive it ANYWHERE. The only thing this lawsuit is doing is putting the owners of this lawsuit on the hook with WW. Now everyone is accountable, how can you say now that you didn't know the trailer tongue weight was oveloaded when you sign onto the lawsuit you are just doing that!

Im opting out, WW needs to take all of these trailers back or FIX them!

2004 30' fs. I love the trailer... wished i could use it... now that i know it is ILLEGAL, how could I?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Kind of like the same thing as the Dometic Frig recall, Instead of fixing the problem, they deal with setting the trailer on fire and let "you" deal with the failure of the frig. Don'cha just love it!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok just how much tongue weight you guys carrying?
1600 lbs or more?
i carried 1200 on my last tt and it wasnt a toy hauler. never broke the factory hitch or damaged my dually ?
not picking just curious
our fiver we pull 3300 pin wt.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mp5medic:
Hey Guys,
I found out today that the lawsuit settlement will only re-emburse for damages and repairs to the trailer. It will not fix the HUGE issue of the toung weight of the trailer being "ILLEGALLY OVERWIEGHT".( over 12K) I am going to weigh my trailer tomorrow and find out exactly how much WW lied to me about the weight of my tongue. Apparently WW will own up to the actual tongue weight, I think that will put everyone on the hook for knowing that the trailer is overweight.

Try and ask your insurance company if they will still insure you and your trailer once you know that the trailer tongue weight is overweight, try and ask the CHP for an exemption of the Vehicle code. It is different if you get stopped by the CHP driving an overweight Fifth Wheel, you can always get a bigger tow vehicle to pull your trailer for you. Not so with an overweight pull trailer. There is NO WAY to make an overweight tongue "legal" you cannot get an exemtion from the vehicle code. The only option is to have the trailer flatbedded to the WW factory and have it dropped off. It is illegal to pull a trailer with a tongue weight over 12k!

And now this class action lawsuit didn't have enough gumption to get WW to buy the illegal trailers back. They are only going to fix the damage that is occurring to them.

I dont think, now that i know the trailer is probably illegal, that i can drive it ANYWHERE. The only thing this lawsuit is doing is putting the owners of this lawsuit on the hook with WW. Now everyone is accountable, how can you say now that you didn't know the trailer tongue weight was oveloaded when you sign onto the lawsuit you are just doing that!

Im opting out, WW needs to take all of these trailers back or FIX them!

2004 30' fs. I love the trailer... wished i could use it... now that i know it is ILLEGAL, how could I? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Could you post a link to where it says that it is illegal to tow a trailer that is over 12,000 lbs?

I have looked at RV and towing manuals from several states' DMV, including California and I cannot find anything that states that it is illegal to tow a trailer that weighs more than 12,000 lbs.