Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

XLR Battery Disconnect Failure

XLR 380, 13 model, our second time out and the auto leveling system kept saying low voltage and stalling out. I hooked up the pigtail from my truck and pulled up the hydraulic leveling. Drove home and had no lights at all inside - no 12 volt unless truck was hooked up and turned on. Started looking around and found the battery disconnect had MELTED! The cables leading to the disconnect switch were on loose enough where I unscrewed it by hand. We bolted the cables together to complete unloading the rig. Yes I taped it up!

Will loose cables cause the disconnect to overheat? Did I melt it running higher voltage when truck was hooked up (this was through the trailer pigtail)? Do I need to keep looking for any other significant power problem or grounded cable?

Anyone suggest a battery disconnect replacement?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #2

Loose connections = increased resistance = increased current flow = HEAT

In a word - yes.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Any recommendations for a replacement disconnect? Wasn't fond of the key type in the xlr. Too easy to catch on things in the pass through storage
Old 11-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
This is one I like....

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-Ba...connect+switch
Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
And the disconnect probably doesn't disconnect everything.
I've got two batteries, we use a marine-type dual battery disconnect:
http://www.amazon.com/Perko-9601DP-M.../dp/B00144BF9Q

6ga wire, although you could go bigger, 6ga is good for 60-70A in short runs. End connections crimped and soldered. 2 batteries can provide for 120-140A, configured like this... Way more 12v than a trailer needs.

West Marine is a good place to get exact-fit wire like this.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

I have a blue top Optima deep cycle battery. The auto level system kept showing 13.6 volts but kept studdering and display low voltage before shutting down. When the truck was hooked up and running, it pulled amps from dual 850CCA batteries. We really like the camper although it's a bit much for my 7.3 dually. I'm researching airbags and other towing upgrades i can make to my truck.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Loose connections will make the auto level system shudder, skip, and low voltage out. Get your new switch in and all should be well.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

Voltage drop to leveler

The voltage drop is produce from the large current draw, something is not giving the leveling system the current it wants/needs. This could be the batteries are large enough or the wire from the battery to the leveler needs to be larger. Some vendors seem to set the wire size at just enough so on a longer run the voltage drop becomes significant.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots you can do with a 7.3L to make up for a heavy trailer.

Like meter and taken are indicating - the issue may not be the battery, likely the associated current path. This assumes that the 13+ V reading is coming from the battery itself and not a temporary charge path (converter or truck) and the battery itself is really DOA.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I get low voltage even with a full battery bank due to low temps sometimes too. Low temps = thicker fluid = harder on the pump. Only on the way in though and never on the way out.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

Cb1000. Interested in mods to my 7.3 dually to make it feel like i can take the family on a trip

I have heard about fluid being thicker. It should just be atf fluid and could probably use a change being 3 years old. The temps that day were around 60 degrees, hardly cold enough to slow flow of atf in my opinion
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
It is indeed ATF and at 60 I can hear my pump start to work harder. I have added a quart of anti stiction fluid to help mine but it still struggles retracting below 60. I usually run it for a bit and then give it a rest. It keeps the auto reset breakers from tripping and low voltaging out the system.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #13

On our XLR 395 I have found the level up will do the same unless the generator is running or if it is plugged into shore power. It is a large amp draw for just one battery. As to the truck we have a 2013 F350 dually and added airbags to it and they seemed to help everything a lot except for the ride when unhooked. But I am hoping to add an onboard air compressor this year, that way we can air down when we unhook and air back up for the ride home.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect