Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Toy Haulers Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #1

I finished my first inside mod today....installed the XM radio. The sony CD AM/FM radio that came with the coach didn't have any inputs, so I used a FM modulator. Its nice to have XM since many of the places we go have zero radio reception.

Wes

high desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #2

I finished my first inside mod today....installed the XM radio. The sony CD AM/FM radio that came with the coach didn't have any inputs, so I used a FM modulator. Its nice to have XM since many of the places we go have zero radio reception.

Wes

Old 08-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #3

Wes:

PLEASE forgive me for saying this, but that's EXACTLY why I didn't buy their 12v system. Ninety percent of the reputable systems that can push any power to speak of have RCA inputs on them, which you can use for adding an AMP, or piggyback a XM receiver into to. IT's the other 10% that OEMs use because they're cheaper. And our first Roadys we used the FM modulator and just got pure crap because of the density of radio stations here in the LA region.

THAT said, looks like you did an A-Class install, but where did you enter the system? Do you have separate speakers for them? Im' not familiar with the XM model you used- do they have line-level output?

Glad to see you're on the MOD bandwagon...wow...if you're able (and willing) to do everything that's been done here, it'll be a decade before you can camp! (get your calendar out and schedule them out evenly and maybe you've got a shot at gettin' out earlier!).

Sean
Old 08-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #4

Sean,

The Sony has line level outputs for an amp but no inputs for adding things like XM radios with line outs.

The XM radio we have is the Delphi Skyfi, We can hook it to our home system, a matching boombox or a 12 volt system that I bought for our old burb and never installed. Thats what I used in the coach.

I'll change the head unit in a year or so with one that has input jacks to clean up the sound, but we don't have the station density here that you have, so interference isn't as much of a problem.

Wes
Old 08-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #5

Sean, dont beat Wes up too bad. I'm sure he's smart enough to know that if the FM modulator does not work he can repalce the Sony in his rig with one that has inputs for the XM for around $200. Give it a try, maybe it will work out. I used an FM modulator with a CD changer about 5 years ago. Worked great. So who knows. Besides, it looks great Wes.

Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #6

Wes,

Looks great. I have the roady and bought a home kit that plugs into my trailer stereo unit. I ran my antenna up the slide wall and siliconed it to the roof of one of the slides. That way it is protected when I'm traveling and is exposed when were set up. So far it has worked everytime...

Clark

2005 F350 PSD CC DRW Tow Boss
C.CARNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
that does look really nice ...
i am going to get the Roady for carry around myself. When satellite radio first came out i at first thought it was an unneccessary luxury, but now can't do without it.
And where we camp typically, i think we would get perfect sound via modulator or hardwire.

where's everyones presets at?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Well, you know, I still haven't figured out if this is my deal or not. We just don't use it enough to make it worthwhile. Thats my opinion for now. I'd like to have it but I got to use it enough to make it worthwhile.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #9

Tom,

My wife at first thought it wouldn't be worth it, but after getting it and having clear music and whatever everywhere we went around the US, she can't believe we didn't get it sooner. I never listen to regular radio anymore. On this trip I'm on, my daughter and her inlaws would were following me kept complaining about no radio reception thru Montana, Wyoming, or Nebraska unless we were going thru a big city. I had music and fox radio the whole time.

It's awesome!!!!

Mike, presets:
A Band: all music, country, blend, deep tracks, top tracks, 60-90's
B Band: Talk radio, Fox, ESPN, ESPN News, Fox Sports, Weather Channel, Golf Channel, Local Traffic
C Band: All Major League Baseball

Clark

Old 08-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #10

Clark,
my presets are very similar to yours on my B Band. Thats almost uncanny. And thats one reason why i never initially figured I'd be a satellite radio man, because i like talk radio and news and that is typically found on any radio. But, get XM for a month, and i was hooked.
I do like that station #40 though. Deep ol' album rock. That is preset numero uno on A-band for me. And i also like that #150 - comedy. I tell you, every time i listen to that comedy channel, i laugh just thinking about that night camping with you dirty dozen and sitting 'round Sean's rig listening to some of his vast archive of comedy. Split a gut that night i did.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #11

Mike,

I like a variety, here are some of my presets:
16- highway 16, country
40- deep tracks, album rock
46- top tracks, classic rock
74-bluesville, blues
121-fox news
164-old time radio, it's great to listen to the old serials.
166-america right
144&145-nascar

Wes
Old 08-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #12

Wes
i believe i am going to have to give your #164 a spin. Sounds cool.
and i need a Blues as well. I take #74 for a listen as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #13

How could I forget NASCAR!!! On B Band and yes I have the comedy channel on A Band also.

I'm going to try the old time radio on the trip home, it sounds like it could be cool.

Clark

Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #14

in the morning, the comedy channel (150) is so-so, ... but by evening time, i have almost had to pull my truck over to the side of the road.
I mean, where do these guys think that stuff up??
and i heard part of "the Love Master" the other day while driving along ... i could have been pulled over for driving disabled and i couldn't have argued. seriously