Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

05 Honda Pilot -- which travel trailer?

I have an 05 Pilot and need to find the right trailer to pull. Requirements: queen island bed, weight no more than 3500-4000 lbs empty.
Wants: dual axle, slide. The Pilot is rated at 4500 towing cap. I think it could be stretched some with proper weight distribution. Total GVW 10,000.
Price less than 10k preferred. Used in good condition. John
Jnlgaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Slides are heavy... Not many trailers below 6000gvwr with a slide... How many campers? 2 adults? Kids? Do you need an oven? A freezer? A furnace? Do you want a walk-around bed or can it be wedged on the side or front of the trailer?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

I have a 05 pilot. I installed both coolers as required per the manual. This gives 3500# camper and 4000# boat towing capicity as per the manual.

I bought a starcraft 176rb hybrid. It had 3500# gvwr. The dealer said I didnt need a wdh. I suspect it was because I was already at the max tow weight with normal cargo (no water). The wdh weighs approx 70#.

We used monthly for 9 months in Texas(read-no hills). I can tell you this, it was so unstable at the speed limit the trailer and the pilot were constantly arguing about who was in control. I NEVER allowed my family in the pilot when pulling. When it was windy I had even less control. Further, it was such a white knuckle drive that I could never drive for longer than 1.5 hrs, it wore me out.

I believe a wdh would have solved the problem but I was at the max capicity already.

We have an entirely new rig now and I can drive all day (and do frequently) towing our 10k# TT. It is so stable my wife will often drive half days when we are trying to make time. The tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world.

Hope this helps
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Tent trailer is about the best you should consider.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
There are a number of people who use a Pilot to pull an Escape trailer.

Escape Trailer Industries > Home

They are fiberglass units which are very lightweight, with each one custom built. If you want a queen bed, you would need to go with the 19 footer, I think. Owners just love them. You don't get some of the features of other units, but you will get a very high quality, unique trailer that holds its value like none other I've ever seen!

We had 2012 Pilot and originally planned to go this route, but then decided the 19 foot was too small for our needs. So we sold the Pilot and replaced with an F-150 and just recently bought a 24 foot Jayco.

Good luck.
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #6

A tent trailer with a 12' box gives you 2 large beds (king and Queen), stove, heater and Fridge for well under 3000lbs. Some even have a cassette toilet and shower. However, you need to consider how many people and how much cargo will be in the Pilot as that affects how much trailer you can pull and how heavy the tongue weight can be.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

You have to keep in mind that the rating of the trailer is based on the rating of the axle. 1-3500lb axle gives you a rating of 3500lbs, 2-2500lb axles gives you a rating of 5000lbs. Most dual axle rigs will put you over 4500lbs, you'll be overweight. You are almost entirely limited to single axle. There are a few exceptions like livin lite, you could get the Camplite 21bhs or 21rbs which will give you exactly everything you want, but you'll have to be careful how you load it.

You could get a trailer manor, with it's low profile, i wouldn't worry too much about sway. No walk around bed.

You could get an escape trailer as mentioned before.

You'll also need a weight distribution hitch. For any box trailer you'll be towing with a pilot. I can't believe YKCAMOM drove without one. Could have been seriously hurt if a large wind gust came around. If you are using a marginally adequate tow vehicle, i'd get a hensley arrow or propride hitch for sure. These hitches create a virtual pivot point closer to the rear axle, you'll be far more stable like a fifth wheel.

However, none of these options really keep you under $10k and give you a walk around bed. If you forgo the walkaround bed, you can probably get a small 16 foot in your weight range that has double twin beds so you can walk in the middle. If you are a handy kind of person, you can find some late 90's airstreams with double axles with twin beds for your price range. You would probably be limited to the 19 foot. Even then, you'll be pushing your weight limit hard. Airstreams are more aerodynamic, especially from side winds which helps immensely with sway.

I can't find a twin bed model, airstream calls those the A models. Here's a late 90's bambi who's GVWR is right at 4500lbs. Dry weight at 3500lbs. But it's a double bed.
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...81ac5fa27b.pdf
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

We just purchased a 2008 Rockwood MiniLite 1809 from a couple here in BC who towed it with their Pilot. The guy said he never had any issues, ever, and it towed like a dream around BC, in the mountains and all over. We towed it home over two mountain passes two weeks ago with our Nissan Xterra and so far I couldn't agree more with his observation.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Take a look at the Vibe 6504. One slide, sleeps 5. Only has one axle, two wheels, which concerned me some, but so far hasn't been an issue. Pulls easily. I do have a wdh, but to be honest I can't tell too much difference whether I use it or not. I have a Ford Van E150 which I pull it with but my daughter has an 04 Pilot and it does okay with it too. I'm a "newbie" as far as TT are concerned, so take this as FWIW.... good luck.
peglegPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Honda TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnlgaines View Post
I have an 05 Pilot and need to find the right trailer to pull. Requirements: queen island bed, weight no more than 3500-4000 lbs empty.
Wants: dual axle, slide. The Pilot is rated at 4500 towing cap. I think it could be stretched some with proper weight distribution. Total GVW 10,000.
Price less than 10k preferred. Used in good condition. John
Go look at Escape Trailer Industries. They build trailers in the 17ft,19ft,sizes you can pull without any problems. The trailers are molded fiberglass designed for medium size tow rigs. Also look at Scamp,Casita,and Parkliner.
Chuck
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel