Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
I have a 2011F 150 Ecoboost with twin turbo v6 and 3.55 rear end that can tow 9800 lbs. I am pulling a 2012 Jayco White Hawk Ultralite. Dry weight 6200 lbs and we weighed each item as we packed it 800 lbs cargo. With the trans in tow haul mode the trans is in 6th gear at 1600 rpm at 60 mph and I get 10 to 11 mpg. There are many Ultralites today that do not require heavy duty trucks. We had 3 motorhomes in 20 years of RVing and I have less stress with the TT. I can get repairs done anywhere with the rig I have now verses the motorhome.

Good luck

Jymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Funfor4 View Post
07 silverado 1500 2wd. 5.3 v8. Has the tow package, never towed anything though.
I had a 2005 2wd 5.3L crew cab Chevy that I pulled the Outback mentioned above with...although I could definitely pull it with all my gear, I always felt I was right on the edge...it porpoised quiet a bit and sagged, even with a wd hitch...short trips, 200 miles or less, are doable.

Justen & Kelly
Mico, TX
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
tThe 5.3L will be the biggest hold back. Weigh your truck and work out the numbers for your actual limits. Get LT series tires, HD shocks, external transmission cooler and good WD/sway control hitch...setup properly. More than likely, you will have a 3.55 rear axle. You will do better with a4,10 or a3.73 axle.

I would limit myself to max trailer length of 26' with in it's tow rating.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I like motorhomes and my wife thinks we should get a TT. she's worried about gas prices and possible engine problems.
Gas prices are the same whether towing a trailer or steering a motorhome. Don't count on more than 10 MPG with either one. Engine problems are the same whether in a tow vehicle or a motorhome - maintenance is the key to troublefree motoring, so keep fresh oil in the crankcase.

With a motorhome, you also need a "toad" so you won't be stuck afoot when set up in the campground. That adds a whole 'nother dimension to the discussion.

I prefer a smaller RV trailer with a tow vehicle rated more than enough for the max weight of the trailer. When set up for camping, the tow vehicle is available for transportation to other places. For 11 years we toured the USA in a CrewCab diesel pickup pulling a 25' fifth wheel. In 200,000 miles, we had engine trouble only once, when the main engine computer went on the blink. Now we have a 20-foot TT towed by an F-150 SuperCrew with the EcoBoost engine. When not towing, the pickup gets ~20 MPG unloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Nor'easters Club
I am hauling 27' app. 6500 lbs. loaded. I drive a F150, 2007, 5.4 engine. Longest haul was Portland Maine, to Home (Nova Scotia). Truck and trailer worked well, truck loves to drink gas, but that is the cost of RVing. Love it and can't wait for these season to start again
Paul Nauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
I have a 2010 F150 w/5.4l v8 towing a 6200lb Puma and Husky WDH. We get about 9mpg in tow haul mode.
Good luck!
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
1/2 Ton

Thanks guys, really helps
Having the WD Hitch is what it is all about. The developement of this system is what allows you to tow the larger trailers. I have seen a video that shows a 1/2 ton towing a larger trailer with the rear wheels removed using a WD hitch system, don't remember which one.

The largest issue you will see is a little slower on the long, stipper upgrades. But hey, your on vacation, so take it ez. If you find that you are sitting low in the rear end even after proper adjustment to the WD Hitch then you could look into air bags for the truck. Make you level in the rear end..... Good Luck

2002 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX , 4X4,SB,CC
6" RCD Lift,StackedChips,S&B Air Intake
1996 Aljo Skyline 30'~14' Slide-out,EZ Lift WDH/elite
dasu450 is offline   Reply With Quote