Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #1

12 v converter problems! Help!

We installed a new battery on our new to us TT (the old one was shot) and still none of the lights work. We checked all breakers in the breaker box and we checked the fuses in the converter distribution panel and they were fine. We replaced them anyway as there were only two to speak of We also changed the bulbs in the lights There is no shut off that we can find and my husband checked the voltage and it reads an output of 12.82 coming out of the converter from battery. The slides are working and so I believe our battery is installed correctly so what am I missing? He said he did believe there was an internal fuse he has yet to check and will do that in the morning. If it is not the fuse what else are we overlooking? What can we do to run our lights at the campground this weekend if it doesn't work other than replacing the converter which is out of the question this week. Thanks so much! We are sooooo close and this is another setback that is VERY frustrating!
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
there are generally 1 or 2 fuses on the convertor itself. The few convertors I've looked at seemed to have them next to, or near the power cord.

Also make sure the outlet that the convertor is plugged into has power. It could be wired behind a GFI outlet that has tripped. That almost cost me a new convertor (I was about to buy a new one when I realized the outlet had no AC).
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply but there is not a GFI where it plugs in just a regular outlet. We did locate an internal fuse that appears to be good but has some corrosion on the ends. Gonna try to replace or clean it up to see if that will help. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I'm wondering if our lights will work at all if we cannot get it working. Are the lights hooked solely up to converter or both converter AND breaker box (shore power). I am thinking if all else fails we can take a couple lamps and still should be able to use our outlets right? Or will anything work of we don't get the converter going?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

The regular outlet for the converter could be supplied from a GFI outlet in another location.
The 12v light power comes from a 12v fuse panel. The fuse panel is supplied from the converter with shore power or the battery without shore power.
All the 110v wall outlets are powered from the main 110v breaker panel.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Appearances can be deceiving. You really need to start checking fuses using a VOM. If you do not have one, they are cheap and easy to use. Be sure to get a digital model as they are easier to read accurate voltages. All of your lights are powered from fuses not breakers. So if you have no lights, you either have a blown fuse or no power to the fuse panel. start at the batteries and trace the wiring. I suspect you will find several breakers. My guess one of them is tripped.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
The regular outlet for the converter could be supplied from a GFI outlet in another location.
My point exactly. The outlet for my convertor is in line after the bathroom GFI Outlet so it is protected by that GFI outlet.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
My point exactly. The outlet for my convertor is in line after the bathroom GFI Outlet so it is protected by that GFI outlet.
Oh ok I see. Well we checked all outlets and there was only one with the GFI and it was not tripped. BUT we clicked test and it tripped and now will not reset since there is no power :-/ we checked all breakers and traced the lines from battery and all breakers we reset and were not tripped. Next we removed the main fuse that was located inside the converter (tube fuse) that we "thought" was ok. It was blown after closer inspection we determined. So gonna try to replace that and keep our fingers crossed. I really appreciate your help.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
The 12v light power comes from a 12v fuse panel. The fuse panel is supplied from the converter with shore power or the battery without shore power.
All the 110v wall outlets are powered from the main 110v breaker panel.
So to be clear, if we do not get power back up through the converter wie will not be able to have any lights with shore power because it must go through it? I' electronically challenged remember lol!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #9

After checking every local store including camping world Walmart home depot lowes ace hardware trailer world and anything else we could think of we could not find the same fuse. It is a 6.25 amp slow blow fuse. So we ended up ordering from eBay. Bad thing is we will probably not have it in time for our trip :( so I'm still wondering if we will be able to use lights through the shore power without that fuse in the converter working. ? I'm assuming not. But could we use lamps plugged in to the outlets? Boy am I hoping so!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #10

Radio Shack may stock one. I would not have a problem using a 7.5 amp slow blow if that is all that is available. It will still protect the unit if there is a serious overload.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have the rig at home how about just running an extension cord from the house and plug the converter into the extension cord, that would bypass the RV 110V system. If the converter works you have a problem with the RV's 110V system, if it doesn't work it is probably a converter problem. Does that sound logical to everyone? Just a thought.

Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #12

My 5er had a 4"x4" hole with a plastic door on it where the shore power cable was stored. Inside that hole, that tore up my arm getting the cable back in, it had a fairly large switch. They usually have a red key like thing on them. Look for something like that where your shore cable is stored. It turns on the 12 volts to the trailer.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
My 5er had a 4"x4" hole with a plastic door on it where the shore power cable was stored. Inside that hole, that tore up my arm getting the cable back in, it had a fairly large switch. They usually have a red key like thing on them. Look for something like that where your shore cable is stored. It turns on the 12 volts to the trailer.
Well I've checked it up and down and cannot find any kind of switch. We've traced all the wires to and from the box and doesn't seem to have a shut off switch anywhere. I'm thinking it probably is just that main fuse cause it is definitely blown so once we get the new one in I'll let you know what happens. It's suppose to be here some time this week. Hopefully before our trip!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Just to see if the converter works, temporarily stick any fuse in the converter. I don't mean 20-30 amp, but something that fits, just for test purposes. If you smell smoke, remove it immediately.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter