Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #15

Marathons were made in USA, then in China, and back to USA and once again in China.

The Kumho's that I mentioned before are D rated. D rated tires will run cooler than C because of less flex. They are not made in the USA, but they are made for commercial use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
That link shows their current stock were made in Vietnam & China.

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
The majority of the complaints on the Marathons were from people that have trailers weighing 16000 lbs. The manufactures were putting tires on that were marginal for that kind of weight. I would have no problem running them on a 10000 lb trailer
Their problems is probably across the board. Read about them in the tire section of this link.

Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires - Airstream Forums
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
Maxxis are good tires, but they are made in Thailand, not USA.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #19

I put Maxxis tires on my Minnie before a long trip out west (last year) and have just travelled to Florida and the tires are doing well. I had Maxxis tires on another trailer and they held up very well. I had one set of Marathons, and they were the only tires that started having irregular wear and I had to replace them. So, I will stay with Maxxis but I know that any tire can fail. All you can do is monitor the air pressure, don't overload the RV, and keep the speed to 65 or less. I've been on the road with trailers since 1984 and haven't had a blowout...."knock on wood!"
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
anything but marathons.
Why? I've put 10,000 on two different sets of Marathons. Only reason I only put 10,000 on the 1st set was because we sold it and got our current 5er. We have close to or over 10,000 on them.
I plan on running them most of this summer as well.
Just like anything else you buy there's always going to be someone else that had trouble with it.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #21

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the M8008 14" tire is made in Thailand. Not China or USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I just received an email back from Maxxis, and I do have a dealer 10 minutes away. He confirmed that when the Marathon's were made in the US, before 2002 they were a premium tire, but once production moved to China their now a normal Chinese tire with Goodyear name and price. He went on to say he was 99% sure the Maxxis RV trailer tires (ST Radial M8008) are made in the USA. I received a quote for 4 Marathons + install + tax of $390 the 4 Maxxis out the door will be $460.

I email back Maxxis to confirm these are a USA made tire. I'll hear back from them on Thursday. At this point I'm heavily leaning towards the Maxxis tires. I'm OK with spending more, if I know I'm getting a better product.

On a side note, I had thought if I could find a D load range tire, they would be more durable. But that is not the case as the D's are for a heavier load, and will run hotter. I'm way under may max weight, so I have gotten off the bandwagon that a D range was durable. So the C's will be fine.

I was doing some work on the trailer today (clean and seal roof) and undercoat the wheel wells and the exposed frame under the diamond plate on the lower front cap. I figure my trip to Alaska on some gravel roads will kick stones up. I'm debating about putting a short mud flap behind the trailers rear wheels. The one side about 18" behind the wheel is the sewer pipe from the gray tank running to the main dump valve. I was thinking about wrapping rubber from a old inn-tube around the pipe to protect it from a stray chunk of gravel being kicked up.

Thanx everyone..
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the M8008 14" tire is made in Thailand. Not China or USA.
Yes, received an email back from Maxxis this morning and they confirmed they are made in Thailand. All ST (trailer tires are made over-seas) BUT, recently there was a 30% tariff put on all Chinese tires. So the US manufacturers are second guessing moving production over-seas to avoid paying Americans a living wage.

With that said I went ahead and ordered 4 Maxxis tires for my trailer. I ended up with the same 6 ply (C load range) tires. If I was closer to my RV's max cargo capacity, I might have looked at the Kumho's for a D load range tire. I too, drive more defensively, usually 62 -64 mph. Taking it easy over rough terrain.

Over the last week one theme being stated over and over again was when towing at a tires max capacity or over, causes excess sidewall heat which is your tires worst enemy leading to failure.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Just like anything else you buy there's always going to be someone else that had trouble with it.
This is true. So I tend to discount the occasional negative review on items and services. But when it's overwhelmingly negative that speaks to an issue with the product or service and not just a handful of isolated incidents.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
This is true. So I tend to discount the occasional negative review on items and services. But when it's overwhelmingly negative that speaks to an issue with the product or service and not just a handful of isolated incidents.
That was exactly what worried me. Just Googling "Marathon RV tire reviews" I was over blown away of all the failures. It just wasn't one here one there. Some reported "bought 4 new ones for my 5th wheel and 3 blow in the first year" Or "one blew and caused $2500 damage". Or "One blew and replaced it and another blew the next day, now I have no spare"!.

Yes in Goodyear's defense, they do sell a lot of these tires, and most are put on large 5th wheel RV's, where over-loading can happen. Or people who drive 75mph +....

But I don't have to worry as much as we make our to trip to Alaska. After I get these changed out to Maxxis tires, I'm going to keep the spare that is on the RV trailer now. It is a 2013 trailer produced in early 2012. Should I keep one of the un-mounted old tires and strap it to my bumper as a 2nd spare for a Alaskan trip? Two of the old tires have noticeable sidewall cracks. Nothing serious, the other two there might be a few hairline cracks which look very minor.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #25

I have been running carlisle dura-trail E rated tires on 6 different trailers, including my 2015 nash, it came with good year marathons.
I never had an issue with the marathons, i just wanted a wider tire on my tt.
The carlisle dura-trail is a great tire and extremely rugged. And they last a long time.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #26

[QUOTE=Superslif;3000634]I just received an email back from Maxxis, and I do have a dealer 10 minutes away. He confirmed that when the Marathon's were made in the US, before 2002 they were a premium tire, but once production moved to China their now a normal Chinese tire with Goodyear name and price. He went on to say he was 99% sure the Maxxis RV trailer tires (ST Radial M8008) are made in the USA.

Maxxis trailer tires are 100% made in one of their plants in Thailand. This comes from one of their reps. He states it is a state of the art plant...in Thailand.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
On the crap Chinese OEM tires I have on my trailer now which is entering it's 5th season, I notice from winter storage, the spot of the tire resting on the driveway has a whole lot more cracking on the side wall in that spot than the rest of the tire. Just the 5" or 6" that has contact to the ground. Is this normal?

I have heard of others jacking up their trailer off the ground so the wheels don't touch. Not sure if that is good for the frame. Or is this just from being cheap OEM tires. I started noticing minor side wall cracking last year, so I knew then for our trip to Alaska, they needed to be replaced.

Anything I can do to stop the potential cracking again once I put on the new Maxxis tires and store it next winter. Were in Northern Ohio and camp till usually mid Nov. and start up again early April. So she is really is only sitting for 4 and half months.

Here is a picture of the area of the tire touching the driveway. touching the cement
And here is a picture of farther up the sidewall where it is not touching. Not touching And we had a very mild winter. Fact the mildest in 70 years.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #28

I have that same tire on our travel trailer. The Marathons have been about 10,000 miles, so far so good. The good news is Walmart carries them, so if a replacement is needed help should be near. They are made in China, but hey my truck was buit in Mexico.

Tags
tires, travel trailer, travel