Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Anything I can do to stop the potential cracking again once I put on the new Maxxis tires and store it next winter.
Rule 1: Never park the trailer tires on cement, concrete or dirt. Best but not necessary is to jack up the trailer and put it on jack stands. But if not on jack stands, then at least put lumber between the trailer tires and the surface. I use 2x10 or 2x12 construction lumber, or left over plywood, long enough to put both tires of a tandem axle trailer on lumber. 2x6 will work, but then you have to place the lumber in exactly the right spot. 2x4s are too narrow.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
then at least put lumber between the trailer tires and the surface. I use 2x10 or 2x12 construction lumber, or left over plywood, long enough to put both tires of a tandem axle trailer on lumber. 2x6 will work
So even in the summer, when it's in my driveway I should be driving it up on some scrap plywood. What is the reasoning? Doesn't plywood also "wick" up moisture?

Here is picture of the cracking tire cracking
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #31

Jayco Owners Club
If it's going to sit for more than a month in one spot, mine's up on 2X12 lumber. I leave it there and somehow always manage to put it back in the same spot... keeps my storage neighbors happy since it's never encroaching on their space. I drilled mine and used 12" nails to keep them from moving on the gravel. I don't believe any of the moisture will wick up through an inch and a half of wood. Exterior plywood might even be better since the glue between layers is generally waterproof.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
So basically, it's the moisture you don't want "wicking" up?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #33
ODH

Tires crack on the bottom when it sits for a long time because the sidewall is deformed in that area by the weight of the TT. Rubber tires are not absorbent and don't wick up water. If you do any diving you will find tires that have been under water for decades and are in perfect shape. UV and heat destroy tires by making the sidewalls brittle.
ODH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #34

Cover them and use Aerospace 303 protectant, not Armorall, etc. Wireman
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Cover them and use Aerospace 303 protectant, not Armorall, etc. Wireman
Yes, I have used Aerospace 303 for about 10 years now which is water based and not oil based like most of the others. But one tire dealers said not to use "ANY" auto detailer products on my new tires. When I mentioned I use 303, he said he never heard of the product.

Talking to a good RV friend last night very knowledgeable on everything RV. I asked him what are my tires enemies? Keep them covered up when in storage if one side is facing the sun. #2 Yes, if left long term in contact on concrete that will "pull" the oils out of the rubber. So any wood or plastic just under the tires can only help.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #36

I first saw the 303 protectant at an RV show 12 years ago. Never heard of it before that.

It is expensive, and I'm sure that's why you don't see it in the auto parts stores. I've used it on the Class A I owned for 12 years. I was able to get 7 years out of the expensive 22" Michelins.

Also always covered the tires. When the tire store replaced them they found no evidence of cracking inside or out. I replaced them because of the years on them.

I swear by this stuff, and will use it on my new TT I'm picking up next week. I'll also cover these tires even though they are a lot cheaper.

Wireman
Old 04-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
How often do you guys reapply this stuff?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use the 303 maybe once a month. It doesn't give the high gloss finish like the oil based stuff. More of a satin finish. Besides tires, I use it on my Tundra's running boards, front bumper plastic sections and mud flaps too. It helps in keeping those items looking cleaner between washes.

Amazon has a 32 oz. bottle for $17.50 (Prime). In the past I have paid anywhere from $16 to 20 for the 32 oz size.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #39

Same as superslif, probably 1 a month. It can also be used on the fiberglass if that's what you have and many other uses.

I buy it by the gallon and refill a spray bottle when needed. A little more cost effective.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #40
RPr

There is no best tire. The most you can do is buy a name brand and depend on their reputation.

I really doubt that the tires you are looking at are still made in America, could be but I would be surprised.

Keep in mind that even the best tire will go flat if you hit a road hazard. Road hazards are the main cause of tire failures.

Good luck
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, there are no USA made RV trailer tires. A few dealers told me there were, but they are mis-informed. The Maxxis ones I purchased 2 weeks ago are Taiwanese. Today will be my first trip ( 120 miles ) with them, over very familiar roads. So I'll get a good sense on how they ride.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, there are no USA made RV trailer tires. A few dealers told me there were, but they are mis-informed. The Maxxis ones I purchased 2 weeks ago are Taiwanese. Today will be my first trip ( 120 miles ) with them, over very familiar roads. So I'll get a good sense on how they ride.
The Goodyear G614 RST is a trailer tire and its made in the USA.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, travel trailer, travel