Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
14" Travel Trailer Tires "What is best"? Marathon's ?

We have a trip planned to Alaska here in a few weeks. The 4 year old tires I have now are showing some signs of sidewall cracking. So new tires are in order. Back about 4-5 months ago while getting new tires for my wife's car I mentioned I'll be back in the spring for RV tires. (205/75R/ 14" load range C) I was quoted 3 different brands, one being the Goodyear Marathon's. I asked if the Marathon's came in load range D in the 14" size. At that time he said they did.

Fast forward to this week. I have China made tires on the RV now. He said the Goodyears are American made. I come to find out, I don't think any RV trailer tires are made in the US. And they don't make a D range in the 14" size.

I popped over to Tirerack.com just to see the price on the Goodyears, and happened to check out some of the reviews. It was a horror story of all the blow-outs on Goodyear Marathon's that happened in the first year of use. Now I'm confused.

I had thought all these higher end big 5th wheels had Marathon's, so the extra cost should give one added peace of mind. Now I'm second guessing what I should buy.

We got Marathons, Carlisle, TowMax, TowMaster....

Was quoted a hair under $400 for 4 Marathons including install.

Any help would ease my trip worries on our trip up north.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #2

Maxxis or Sailun
Old 03-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Seems the closed Maxxis dealer is over 100 miles away.

I just saw the brand Kenda makes a D range trailer tire in the 14" size.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

Try Kumho. KumhoÂ*Radial 857
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #5

anything but marathons.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
I had really bad luck with Marathons but that was some years ago. Lotsa folks swear by them. I went to Maxxis last year and so far, so good...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
If I ran 14" tires, I'd check into these.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
anything but marathons.
I just had 4 imported tires installed on my boat trailer, same size as above for $284.00 out the door, but I'm not sure what the load rating is. My boat weighs 4K, so I wasn't to worried about it. It had Carlisle that were badly cracked and lost air fairly rapidly.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Any help would ease my trip worries on our trip up north.
Step 1: take a deep breath, hold it for a beat, and then breathe out.

Step 2: realize that the internet attracts complainers. Most people don't have a problem and don't bother to post about a non-event.

Step 3: accept that you can deal with a problem if it happens. The remotest part of Canada or Alaska is still part of a 1st world country. You can get replacements if you go through your spares, even if it will require patience and a little extra $$$.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Step 1: take a deep breath, hold it for a beat, and then breathe out.

Step 2: realize that the internet attracts complainers. Most people don't have a problem and don't bother to post about a non-event.
Your right... I thought it was a "no event" this week I was on vacation and was going to make getting new tires for the RV trailer one of the items to do this week. I'll just go to my local tire place which usually has the best tire prices and get the higher priced Marathon's....for piece of mind. Was just about to pull the trigger and I saw all the reviews on them. I thought they were still American made, which they were but not any more.

I did see some Kenda / Karrier load class D tires listed online in my size.

Also the Kumho Radial 857 has a D range (8 ply) Of the local dealers I called who carrier that brand, no one could get the 857's trailer tires. They seemed pricey ($130) but they were a 8 ply / D load range.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Your right... I thought it was a "no event" this week I was on vacation and was going to make getting new tires for the RV trailer one of the items to do this week. I'll just go to my local tire place which usually has the best tire prices and get the higher priced Marathon's....for piece of mind. Was just about to pull the trigger and I saw all the reviews on them. I thought they were still American made, which they were but not any more.

I did see some Kenda / Karrier load class D tires listed online in my size
The majority of the complaints on the Marathons were from people that have trailers weighing 16000 lbs. The manufactures were putting tires on that were marginal for that kind of weight. I would have no problem running them on a 10000 lb trailer
Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The majority of the complaints on the Marathons were from people that have trailers weighing 16000 lbs. The manufactures were putting tires on that were marginal for that kind of weight. I would have no problem running them on a 10000 lb trailer
Yes that could be the issue. Wet I'm going to be in the 5500lb range loaded with extra gear for AK. My 26' Aerolite has a 2400lb cargo cap. So I'm way under the max.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My smaller TT came with Marathon ST205/75R14. They had plenty of weight rating to handle the 5,600 pound GVWR of my TT. But I've had blowouts with Marathons before, so after a few thousand miles I decided to replace them all with one-size-up Maxxis ST215/75R14.
ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

I've had excellent service from Maxxis trailer tires on my other trailers, so I was hoping to find Maxxis tires to fit my little TT.

205/75R14 are rated up to 1,760 pounds each, or 7,040 pounds for all 4 trailer tires. With the max trailer weight of 5600, and with the max combined axle weight of 5,040 that 7,040 tire weight capacity is plenty for my trailer when loaded for bear. The 215/75R15 tires are rated even higher, at 1870 pounds per tire. So even more cushion between max combined GAWR and max trailer tire weight capacity.

But because of my experience with Marathons, I decided to replace the tires with ST215/75R14 tires. We were on the road near Charleston SC and I couldn't find Maxxis trailer tires around there. But TowMax tires have a good rep, and the dealer had ST215/75R14 in stock, so I mounted TowMax tires on my trailer. Only a few thousand miles on those tires now, but they have been flawless.
Towmax STR Tires | Own The Road
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just received an email back from Maxxis, and I do have a dealer 10 minutes away. He confirmed that when the Marathon's were made in the US, before 2002 they were a premium tire, but once production moved to China their now a normal Chinese tire with Goodyear name and price. He went on to say he was 99% sure the Maxxis RV trailer tires (ST Radial M8008) are made in the USA. I received a quote for 4 Marathons + install + tax of $390 the 4 Maxxis out the door will be $460.

I email back Maxxis to confirm these are a USA made tire. I'll hear back from them on Thursday. At this point I'm heavily leaning towards the Maxxis tires. I'm OK with spending more, if I know I'm getting a better product.

On a side note, I had thought if I could find a D load range tire, they would be more durable. But that is not the case as the D's are for a heavier load, and will run hotter. I'm way under may max weight, so I have gotten off the bandwagon that a D range was durable. So the C's will be fine.

I was doing some work on the trailer today (clean and seal roof) and undercoat the wheel wells and the exposed frame under the diamond plate on the lower front cap. I figure my trip to Alaska on some gravel roads will kick stones up. I'm debating about putting a short mud flap behind the trailers rear wheels. The one side about 18" behind the wheel is the sewer pipe from the gray tank running to the main dump valve. I was thinking about wrapping rubber from a old inn-tube around the pipe to protect it from a stray chunk of gravel being kicked up.

Thanx everyone..

Tags
tires, travel trailer, travel