Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

15 " tires for towable trailer in dual axel

I am towing a Jayco Jayflight 26 rls and need to put new tires on it. Any recommendations for new tires in 15 inch with high rating and high ply ???

Rating D and above to G and ply 10 to 14 --- any info is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Most manufacturers put the bare minimum on for tires from the factory, so up-grading is a good idea.
A word of caution though, it is possible to over-do it , and end up with a ride so stiff that the trailer, or contents, are damaged by rough ride. Also you need to examine the rims for max allowable air pressure, and match that to any tires purchased, and for sure you'll need to replace the rubber valves with metal ones, for tires that run higher PSI.

JMHO: Avoid any tire " Made in China " if possible.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Unless you can put 16" tires on your TT then you won't find any tires with more than 10 ply and an E rating. There will be those that will come on here and say to go with LT tires. They are clueless. There's no LT tires in a 225/75/15" size. BTDT.

Also they are all made in China or Taiwan. No ST tires in that size are made in the U.S.
The two that seem to get good reviews are Maxxis and Goodyear Marathon. Carlisle is another.

JMO but if you have the room I'd jump to 235/80/16" and go with an LT tire. Your TT doesn't weigh enough to have load issues with switching from ST to LT.

I've ran GY's 225/75/15" on my last two trailers. Both trailers were no where near the load limits for the tires. IMO that's why I had good luck with them. I run 65 psi and keep speeds under 65mph. I had 10,000 on the 1st set and now have over 11,000 on the second set that's on the 5th wheel. I had one tire develop a bubble. Changed it out before any thing catastrophic happened. Still running the rest and they look fine. The current set is 3 years old. If I were to get another set I would go with Carlisle. They have a higher speed rating which even though I wouldn't be towing any faster it gives an extra cushion of safety.

There will many that post they have X brand and had blowouts and there will be those that have the same tire with good results. Basically you just opened anther can of worms thread.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

I've had good luck with Maxxis but they aren't sold everywhere. If I was shopping today, I would consider Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. I use 225 75R 15 E rated.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtman View Post
I am towing a Jayco Jayflight 26 rls and need to put new tires on it. Any recommendations for new tires in 15 inch with high rating and high ply ???

Rating D and above to G and ply 10 to 14 --- any info is appreciated.

If your trailer still has a factory warranty or extended warranty package you should use replacement tires that are the same size as described on the trailer's certification label. Otherwise all warranty coverage could be voided by any other replacements. Or get permission in writing from the trailer manufacturer for approved options.

Here is a link the an owner's manual. Its quite self explanatory about replacement tires.

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...light%20OM.pdf
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

Maxxis is the accepted best of the worst.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
If your trailer still has a factory warranty or extended warranty package you should use replacement tires that are the same size as described on the trailer's certification label. Otherwise all warranty coverage could be voided by any other replacements. Or get permission in writing from the trailer manufacturer for approved options.

Here is a link the an owner's manual. Its quite self explanatory about replacement tires.

http://www.jayco.com/files/downloads...light%20OM.pdf
I'd be interested to see if someone that had a misaligned slide that took their TT in for warranty work and the dealer checked the tires and declined work because the owner put different tires on it. Same goes for a fridge not working, leak in the shower, etc.
Might be different if they were looking into an axle issue. But I highly doubt most dealers even have a clue about tire size.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Cumminsfan;2793138]

Also they are all made in China or Taiwan. No ST tires in that size are made in the U.S.
The two that seem to get good reviews are Maxxis and Goodyear Marathon. Carlisle is another.

/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between China and Taiwan when it comes to ST tires. Also I had the Carlisle and they didn't make it a year.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #9

[QUOTE=powderman;2793633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between China and Taiwan when it comes to ST tires. Also I had the Carlisle and they didn't make it a year.
Maybe so on china or Taiwan. Does it really matter? Like I said there will be those that have trouble with brand X and those that love brand X. Means nothing.

Problem with all these questions about which "fill in the blank" product is best, is that there's no definitive answer. It's like political polls. Only select individuals are asked for answers. The OP is only going to get an answer from those reading at this time. Not from all those that have used brand X product.

How do we know what % of Carlisle, GY or Maxxis tire users read these forums. Verdicts can be swayed by just a few individuals posting opinions.
I've seen it happen all the time on forums.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #10

russTman, what is the info on your tires....what the brand and model, what is the size, and what is the weight rating? I probably can aim you in the correct direction.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #11

imo maxxis ue168 lt tires.I use them and like them and they are lt tires.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL259 View Post
imo maxxis ue168 lt tires.I use them and like them and they are lt tires.
Good find. Only a couple issues is they're de-rated as far as an equivalent ST tire and the dia is different.
If the OP needs 225/75/15 then in the Bravo series he would need the 235/75/15. But the load rating is only 2337 compared to 2540 for a stock 225/75/15. Also the dia on the stock is 28.4" but 28.9 on the Bravo. May or may not be an issue. I know in my case I only have 2.25" between my 225/75/15 ST GY's on my 5th wheel. If I went to the Bravo in a 235/75/15 then I'd only have 1.25 between the tires. Not sure if that would work. I would also loose 812lbs for payload. Not an issue in my case but could be for others.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #13

Cumminsfan,
I'm with you on the warranty issue/tires. If he needs new tires while under warranty, something is probably wrong with the trailer. Just can't imagine taking a unit in and being told "all warranty is void" because you have the "wrong tires on it." Laughable....
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #14

I put D range Carlisles on my 2 axle 4800# TT They are made in New Zealand and 2 years old. I check the pressures every trip and have almost 20,000 miles on them and they are only worn 40%
I credit it all to having weight capacity on the tires above the carried load of the TT.
All ST tires come with a 65 MPH rating. I'm usually 60. Just my way of traveling.
My opinion, most tire failures on TTs are caused by low pressure or over loaded with weight or too old (years of parking with no use but good looking tread).

Tags
tires, tow