Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

1980 Elkhart

Hello, everyone, I am new to the forum. I have owned an rv in the past and I am thinking of purchasing a 1980 Elkhart Travel Trailer. For the most part it is in good condition, but I am having trouble finding any information on this type of trailer. They were more popular as a 5th wheel manufacturer, and this seemed to put them out of business. (the 5th wheel business, not manufacuring trailers in general!) I know that Elkhart, Ind. seems to be the rv capital of the world, but that is all I could find out. This rv is in good shape, everything works, but the black waste water tank has been removed. My husband thinks I am crazy, because he said the trailer will be hard to haul, but I think it would be fun to restore. Fun for me...work for him. Has anyone any experience with these? Thank you.
7mileisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on iRV2. I have never heard of a brand named Elkhart. If you have never owned an RV, restoring a older can be a real challenge. As you start to open up things, problems have a way of growing. Visit the Vintage RV section here on iRV2 and see some of the projects people have undertaken.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #3

Thank you, I will do that. 7mileisland
Old 11-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My uncle bought a Elkhart fifth wheel in 1978 and he kept it until 2005. He had over 200 K miles on it. It was towed by fiver different trucks. He was 88 years old when he sold it and it always gave him good service. He use to spend the winter down in Florida and the summer in the mountains of Virginia. He told me once the only thing he had to replace was the fridge and tires. Welcome to IRV2 .
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #5

Thank you for the message regarding Elkhart. I my husband, Tom and I are getting closer to making the decision to buy. He wants a fifth wheel, and I want the travel trailer. We shall see who prevails!!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I would rather have a fifth wheel anyday than a travel trailer. I had one once. Much harder to hook up and not a lot of storage, but it depends on what you want it for. I got a friend that will not have anything else but a travel trailer. He only goes short distances and does not want the hitch in the bed of his truck.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote