Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

1998 Fleetwood Prowler antenna

Hey all, I bought this camper in November and have been working on it the last few weeks. What I found was the roof was made of 1/8th plywood covered by EPDM roofing. The stock wind up down antenna was mounted thru this roofing ino a piece of supporting wafer board that was tied into the roof trusses. This was right near the front seem whhere the metal meets the EPDM. It seems the weight, age and lack of care allowed the roof to leak. I have started replacing the complete roof and EPDM rubber (Big Job). What I did was removed the rubber, replaced the area of bad 1/8 plywood with 3/16 luan and then covered the complete roof with 3/8th exterior plywood. it is really shaping up and now I need to decide about the antenna, at first I was going to discard it but now thinking I should put it or a replacement up there. My question being what to do?

The old antenna was most likely raised only a few times in the 12 years or so it had been used and when I brought it home we had quite a time getting it down. It all seems to be in good working order and laying on the shop floor I really do not want to invest a lot of money and most of all I dont want its weight to cause future issues.

TV isnt really all that important to me but I do think I should have at least that basics.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

the antennae is mots probably a Winegard. they recomend spraying the gears. and hinge areas with spray Silicon. I suspect a good cleaning and lube job will get it working again.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Jim, yes it is a Winegard, I will look it over. I see they sell all sorts of parts for them on ebay.

I wonder is that antenna ampliphied? If so is there a was to test it ?

I also see they sell new heads both add on and aftermarket that claim will improve the reception.
Any thoughts on this.

Thank you again for any help.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

The Winegard antennae is amplified. Somewhere in your coach is what looks like a receptacle plate. It has either a red or a green LED and a small Off/On switch. On the back of the plate is the cable connections and amplifier.The cable from the antennae goes to this and the cable for your TVs comes from this. When the LED is lit, the amplifier is On.

As to the addons. They work well for us. They provide a stronger digital signal pick up , but it seems to me, make the antennae more directional. If you're using your coach close to strong TV stations, you may not need the addon. It's not expensive ~$25.00 and hooks onto you existing antennae if your antenae is a batwing type. The batwing type is the antennae the is a long rectangle with the tips turning down.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, fleetwood