Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

1999 suburban 1500 5.7 v 8 engine

We have the suburban mentioned above. I have searched the net to find out how much trailer we can tow with conflicting results. I want a cruiser rv s280qbs. Will the suburban tow it? I plan to buy food at location and fill with water at location to reduce weight towed. I hope to camp with 4 other adults and 4 grandchildren ages 8,7,6 and 5. If necessary they can follow us in their own vehicles as they obviously won't all fit in the suburban.
If this is not feasible, what other qb quad bunk trailers could the suburban tow.
any advise would be greatly appreciated. tanks
birdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #2

I worked at GM dealerships in service for 13 yrs and have seen folks tow up to 26' racecar trailers (enclosed) for several seasons with no issues.The WEAKEST LINK is the transmission in the Suburban,not the towing capacity,if you have a class 3 or better hitch get electric brakes for the rig and watch your trans with an aftermarket cooler and temp gauge---the lower temp the better,200+is disaster for the 4L60 trans in there.
A team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

My husband is also a GM tech. So, if we do watch the trans temp the suburban will be fine with this trailer?
birdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While the 2500 (3/4T) would be a better towing rig, your 1500 'Burb should be OK for the job IF it has the towing package with 3.73 gears. Check for a label in your glovebox that lists equipment codes.
GU4 = Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio
GU6 = Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio
GT4 = Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio
The 3.42 axle is IFFY for towing a 28' trailer and the 3.08 gearing on the 1500 just ain't gonna cut it. Basically the lower the number, the harder the engine and transmission have to work to pull a load.

I concur on the added cooling for the transmission as well.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Should be....how many miles are on your Suburban????
A lot of extra weight on a worn trans is NEVER a good thing.
Possibly think about getting a programmer or tuner to modify the shift programs for your trans.That will lessen the wear from long shift times and shift overlap,slippage and decrease overall stress and wear to the clutches and overrun band.
The sunshell is the BIGGEST failure part in that transmission,It is 38.00 but requires a full teardown to replace and the aftermarket part is 80.00 and 20xbetter.
Not trying to scare you,just give you very important info so you aren't 650 miles from home with a dead trans.(and at the mercy of the trans shop).Been there-it stinks!!!!.
A team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolute minimum axle on the 'Burb for that trailer is a 3.73. You will also spend a lot of time in 3rd gear at the mere mention of a hill. In the hills, some 2nd gear and high RPMS. Max towing speed will be 60 to 65 mph and about 8.5 mpg.

We tried 1992 5.7L 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 4.10 axle and a 28' Silver Streak trailer. It would tow it but not well. I would limit the "Burb to closer to a 25 or 26' trailer and watch the weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote