RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

1st post! I'm nervous about getting too big of TT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The GVWR is the maximum the SUV can weigh on the 4 tires when wet and loaded with a full tank of gas, driver, passengers, pets, trailer hitch receiver/shank/ball mount/ball, and anything else (such as tools, spare parts, extra fluids) that might be in the truck when towing. You should weigh the wet and loaded SUV with all the normal payload in it, and subtract that weight from the GVWR of the SUV. That number will be the maximum hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that hitch weight by 0.12 and the answer will be approximately the max weight of a travel trailer you can tow without being overloaded. And I'll bet it's a lot less than Chevy's so-called tow rating.
I posted this on a very old thread last night (sorry, I'm new to this). So I thought I would ask here in a new one. -->

Good evening. Apologies if I'm doing this incorrectly, this is my first post. My wife and I (+2 kids) are very interested in getting a TT. I also have a Chevy Tahoe (2010) with the 8200# rating.

We are trying to determine the largest weight possible for the TT that is appropriate for our vehicle. I was trying to follow along with your math, but got stuck on the "divide the hitch weight by 0.12..." section.

My attempt to follow along -->

GCWR = 14,000#
GVWR = 7,810# [Tahoe curb weight: 5,636# + payload: 1,774# + the four of us: ~400#]

GCWR - GVWR = 6,190#

Is 6,190# the max weight of a trailer I can pull?

What do I do with the 0.12? 6,190# x 0.12 = 742.8#. Is 742.8# the hitch weight limit?

Per the Tahoe owner's manual: Maximum tongue weight for a "weight carrying hitch" = 600# and maximum tongue weight for a "weight distributing hitch" = 1,100#.

Can I pull a TT with a dry weight of 4941# and a hitch weight of 694# if I use a "weight distributing hitch" AND don't exceed 1,249# of cargo, water, propane, etc. (6,190# - 4941# = 1,249#)?

Wow, this gets confusing quickly. Thanks for looking.
Nate

n8cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I am a bit concerned that through out your post you seem to be looking for "largest weight possible" and the word "maximum" shows up repeatedly. I'd suggest you read the information on this website and heed the cautions expressed.

I'd want to look for a trailer that falls somewhere in the middle of my TV's capacities, not close to the maximums. After all, your whole family will be in the vehicle and you do value them, right? SUVs are compromise vehicles to begin with, while issues with instability and roll over has been reduced over the years, why push your luck? Start small and let experiences and needs dictate your upgrades.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

X2 on BFlinn181's comments. You don't want to get yourself into a white knuckle situation with your family in the car. Keep in mind as your children grow they will increase in weight and will bring more stuff. Give yourself some margin and enjoy.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Thanks for reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I am a bit concerned that through out your post you seem to be looking for "largest weight possible" and the word "maximum" shows up repeatedly. I'd suggest you read the information on this website and heed the cautions expressed.

I'd want to look for a trailer that falls somewhere in the middle of my TV's capacities, not close to the maximums. After all, your whole family will be in the vehicle and you do value them, right? SUVs are compromise vehicles to begin with, while issues with instability and roll over has been reduced over the years, why push your luck? Start small and let experiences and needs dictate your upgrades.
Thanks for the Welcome, glad to be here. I couldn't agree more, I obviously value family and communicated poorly in initial post. Meant to emphasize the "appropriate for our vehicle" more than "largest weight possible".

With nothing to compare to, I'm having trouble determining how to be conservative and have a good first experience hauling.

The TT specs I listed came off the 2017 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 230BHXL.

Tow Vehicle is 2010 Chevy Tahoe, 3.42 ratio, K5L Heavy Duty Cooling Package.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

That is a lot of stuff to carry around in the Tahoe. Almost 1800 pounds?
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Nate! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
That is a lot of stuff to carry around in the Tahoe. Almost 1800 pounds?
Yeah, that was just the max listed in manual, not sure how I would come up with 1800 pounds of cargo (gear+people+gas) in the Tahoe.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

1800 is a lot of payload. Is this the actual weight of fuel and cargo you will carry in the Tahoe?
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
1800 is a lot of payload. Is this the actual weight of fuel and cargo you will carry in the Tahoe?
No, I don't think I would ever get that high. It was just the max amount of cargo possible according to manual so I wanted to include it in my calculations to help be conservative.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

Does your Tahoe have a payload sticker on the door or door post? If so that will tell you the payload for your specific SUV with all its options.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
Does your Tahoe have a payload sticker on the door or door post? If so that will tell you the payload for your specific SUV with all its options.
I would be very cautious on overloading the SUV. Both CCC is needed for max load and the short wheel base and longer trailer tend to be a making for sway.

I would say 25 ft range would be safe for length.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Another piece of advice: the dealer is likely to talk to you about "maximum" tow capacities for purchasing an RV. Don't let them talk you into something you don't feel comfortable with! You will NOT have a pleasant experience in a TT with a maxed out TV! Let's suppose that you do like driving white knuckled dangerously, your TV "usable life" will be limited from that extreme wear on it! With a Tahoe, you should either consider upgrading to more TV or less TT, or if you're wealthy, you can buy a larger TT AND TV! Once you pull out on that road, you (the driver) are on your own.
LA_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_RV_Guy View Post
...Don't let them talk you into something you don't feel comfortable with! You will NOT have a pleasant experience in a TT with a maxed out TV! ...Once you pull out on that road, you (the driver) are on your own.

X2. I let them talk me into max trailer. I NEVER let my family ride with me while towing. It was freaking white knuckle and scary enough alone.

I can tell you it was a long drive home the day I took delivery. I knew pretty quick I goofed. Got a new gig 9 mo later.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:38 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the forum - I am sure you will find us a helpful bunch of RVers.

Your Tahoe is a great tow vehicle - up to a point. I had a 1999 one with the 5.7L engine, 3.73 rear end and 4x4. It towed 4000lbs just fine but struggled with a larger TT with a wet wt of 5600 lbs.

The numbers you want to pay attention to is the CGWR which for most Tahoe's is between 12,000 and 14,000 lbs depending on rear axle ratios - 3.08 vs 3.42 (not sure if your model actually had a choice I know the later models do). The Maximum tow rating is this number minus the curb wt of the Tahoe and any cargo in the Tahoe = driver, passengers, gas, any cargo in the back etc. The only caveat on trailer wt. is that you can't go over the GVWR of the Tahoe or the GAWR of the rear axle. Remember that anything you add to the Tahoe must be subtracted from the Tow Rating. You might be surprised how much this stuff adds up. I suggest that you load up you family and some camping gear in the rig and take it to a scale.

Your spec for the hitch is more about the difference between a weight carrying and weight distribution hitch - you will probably have a WD hitch so I would use that number.

Now onto the TT - here you are going to find what is called the dry wt or shipping wt or maybe the axle wt. along with a hitch wt. and a GVWR.
Here is where things get complicated. If given a total dry wt in includes the hitch wt. If given an axle wt you need to add the hitch wt to get the total dry wt. Total wet weight is what the tt weighs loaded and ready to camp - usually including a full tank of water, propane, batteries tec. it should be less than the GVWR. I like to use the GVWR as the wet weight in my figures - it just makes things easier. Also for the dry hitch wt it does not include the wt of propane and batteries which usually add around 100 lbs directly to the hitch.

Running the numbers for a 2017 3.08 4x4 with a full payload in the Tahoe (including the hitch wt of the TT) your maximum wet wt for a TT would be around 5000 lbs.

This I a realistic number - I know that it is less than what the book says - but experience has taught me that a Tahoe (or any vehicle) at or close to its maximum ratings is not a fun drive.