Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

1st time - Winterization help.

I think I've got everything sorted out with the winterizing process, but I bought some plumbing antifreeze which says good for RV's, but I thought I should seek assistance in determining that this is actually what I want to use.

It's Ethanol based, not PG, which I'm not entirely sure about, and on the store website, (Canadian Tire), it says Non-Toxec, but it's not labelled on the actual product on manufacturers website, per se.

Here's the product link (top of the page is the PG version, and scroll down for Ethanol version):
Products | Prestone® Plumbing Antifreeze | Anti-freeze, windshield wash, solvents, Global supplier of automotive liquids & household chemicals - Recochem Inc.

Am I safe using this one?

thanks!!!
ryguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are using this in the P traps and not in the fresh water lines yes it's safe to udrain any ice cube tray lines if you have them se. I don't know what you do but I always just blow the lines out using compressed air and fill the sink, bath and shower drains with anti-freeze. We do not like the taste of RV anti-freeze so we never use it in the fresh water lines. If you use compressed air and run the water pump until it's dry then blow out ice maker lines if you have them as well as any outside shower lines we have never had any problems. In fact in 2014Wwinnebago listed two methods of winterizing, the traditional way of filling the lines with RV anti-freeze and using compressed air to blow out the lines then filling the traps.

TeJay
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2

Yes the "suitable for RV" antifreeze will do the job for p traps or to fill the pipes. The blow out system is easier to clean in the spring with little or no smell from the antifreeze.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice... maybe I'll return the AF and try the blowout method.

I can only get this locally.
Plastic Blow-out Plug | Canadian Tire

Not sure how I'll affix it to my small compressor. Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You could use that fitting and screw it into the city water fitting. Adapting an air line to it might be a problem. Most plumbing supplies will have adapters which would allow you to use a garden hose thread on one side (male) and a 1/2" male or female screw for an airline fitting on the other side. I always use a small paint gun air regulator at that location and adjust the pressure way down to about 5 lbs before I attach to the fresh water inlet. After the lines are mostly clear you can turn the air up but initially it's best to keep the pressure down so you don't blow a line off.

Either go to a plumbing place and tell the guy what you want to do or maybe some of the big box stores could help. I realize you are in Canada but they still do plumbing stuff. You need a garden hose thread on one side and something to allow you to screw a quick disconnect air fitting on the other side.

Do a search here. There are several discussions using compressed air to clear lines. Don't forget to run your water pump to clear it out. You can run it while the air is going through. If you have a filter remove it when the lines are empty. Like I said earlier we've used this for years and never had any problems. One more thing that you can do is take the MH for a short drive because some water may be setting in a low spot. Driving it may move it around some and allow you to get it out as well. It really depends on how the unit was built. Even if some residual water is left behind it usually is not sufficient enough to break a hose or fitting because it can expand into the open areas and not create much pressure.

When we lived in MI we did the same thing and our winters were a bit colder than here in AR. Still no problems and none of the bad taste in the spring. I think I can still mentally taste my coffee with the anti-freeze in it but I do drink it black so I can't hide the taste with cream and sugar.

Best of luck and I know you can figure it out.

TeJay
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
Thanks for the advice... maybe I'll return the AF and try the blowout method.

I can only get this locally.
Plastic Blow-out Plug | Canadian Tire

Not sure how I'll affix it to my small compressor. Any ideas?
I bought the same blow out plug but never ended up using it. I use a old garden hose cut in half, with the male end of a garden hose thread it into the city water inlet and a air line fitting that plugs into the coupler on the compressor gear clamped to the other end of the hose. And the regular turned down to about 40psi.
Now you said you have a small compressor, so i'm not sure if it has a coupler on it or and end for a tire valve stem or other. If it has one for a tire valve you could clamp half of a valve stem in to hose and blow it out that way. You would need two people, one to hold the line and one for the faucets.
Hope this helps

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2151779370.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	47723
bt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

thanks for the advice guys, I'll rig something up with an old hose. I had already started to think of something along the lines of what you made.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rvguy:
Here is a pic of what I use to blow out my lines.
All is available at Canadian tire.
When I'm done blowing out the lines , I will fill the lines with RV plumbing anti freeze for extra protection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1918905013.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	484.6 KB
ID:	47752  
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Don't forget the water heater.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

I have that same adapter. I just hooked it to the city water connection then with the pressure turned to 40 PSI I used a valve stem chuck for filling auto tires.
Coachman322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #11

I hope I did it right...I drained all tanks and lines the best that I could. Then I just put 5gal of antifreeze in the freshwater holding tank and closed the valves off to the water heater and turned on my pump. Had pink running out of every faucet. Closed all faucets. Then opened the valves to the water heater let that fill up with the rest of the antifreeze. Then drained the water heater. Then I put some more antifreeze down each drain. Any feed back on how I winterized would be great. I'm a first timer Rv winterizer.
05Adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may have done it correctly but you'll know next spring. I don't know if adding the anti-freeze to the fresh water tank would have been diluted enough to freeze.

Now my only question is if you considered using compressed air then why the anti-freeze?? Blowing the water out of the lines is done so you don't have to add the awful tasting antifreeze into the system.

If you choose to use the standard method you simply drain all tanks, close the by-pass valve at the water tanks so you don't have to fill it with 6 gallons of anti-freeze. Then you remove the hot water tank valve so it gets drained. The next step may depend on how old your unit is. Most newer coaches allow you to suck anti-freeze from gallons jugs into the water system (you don't have to put it into the fresh water tank) using the regular water pump. There's usually a valve and small 1/2" clear plastic line in that area so it can be inserted into the gallon jug of anti-freeze and sucked into the system. When you are done all lines are full of anti-freeze. Then you dump anti-freeze into all the drains.

Good luck next spring with the awful taste of the anti-freeze in your freshwater lines. We did this twice over 3 MH's and 3-TT's and I will never use the anti-freeze in the fresh water lines again. We were never able to get the taste out of the water. It is also easier these days to get gallon jugs of water. That's the only water I'll ever buy. I refuse to pay $$$$$ for bottled water that is usually dirtier than tap water. We just fill a few jugs of water from home and use that for Coffee. We have used an on-board filter as well.

TeJay
Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #13

The fresh water tank was empty before I put the antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank. And we never drink water that runs through the camper. We have gallon jugs that we fill at home.
05Adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
KISS blowout

I used air this year to winterize too. I wanted to use my small compressor with the least amount of hassle as I live in northern MI & when going home to freezing temps it has to be easy to winterize (KISS). My Thor ACE had a T in the water line which ended with a plug. I drilled the plug to fit a bicycle tube valve, pushed it out from the inside and siliconed it in place. The valve stays in place all the time and, of course, doesn't leak.
So now I just open the (L)ow (P)oint (D)rains and, when they're done, I close them, drain the water heater, turn the 3 valves to horizontal under the bed to take the WH out of the loop, close the water tank service line just above the T & pressurize the system while my DW opens the spigots & toilet upstairs (and the sprayer in the basement)....done. Here's a picture.
If you want to fill the system with antifreeze (suspenders & a belt), remove the plug & insert this fitting, put the hose in the antifreeze jug & turn on the water pump. DW opens the spigots & toilet upstairs (and the sprayer in the basement) until antifreeze comes out...REALLY DONE. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air fitting.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	47844   Click image for larger version

Name:	antifreeze syphon.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	47846  

Tags
winter