Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MM you need to ask where it was built. If the answer is Pendelton OR then the unit should be of higher quality than the east coast units. There is also nothing that says the unit spent all of it's time in the dry SW. I see lots of Cougars up here in OR. They seem to be good units.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #58

https://winnebagoind.com/products/to...oorplan-27RBDS

MM,This is your dream on wheels I know of 6 people with Ford F150's that pull and love this unit. One lady full times. Well made,light weight,great value. CaN YOU FIND ONE IN YOUR PRICE RANGE? I LIKE THIS BETTER THEN KEYSTONE.sorry for the caps.
The link picture is not the unit click on 27rbds...
Give it a look.

Just my 2 cents worth.

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalMama View Post
Opinions on Keystone Bullet? This floorplan is almost perfect. They have not given me a price yet. It is used but coming from AZ so I feel comfortable bc of the dry climate.

http://www.desertautoplex.com/defaul...=xAllInventory

thanks - Peace, MM, BnB

I know several people on the Keystone RV forum that love their Bullets.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #60

You are right - this is my dream TT!!!!!!!!!!!
MysticalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #61

MM, your initial question was about traveling with at 24-28 foot TT and a F-150. This is my current rig on our way to a dump station before heading home. Tows very well. No issues with power from the truck, I have plenty of acceleration from any speed. 350 mile long driving days haven't bothered me - after a few hours I just run the seat massage system. With my PP hitch, I'm as comfortable towing as not, often drive 1 handed.

Trailer specs -
Box size - 26 feet, 2 slides (recliners & kitchen table in one the other is a wardrobe).
Length Hitch to bumper - 29'11
GVWR - 7642
Trailer cargo - 1531

Truck CC is 1468. That is more than enough for our needs.
GCVW 16,100
GVWR 7,050
Mileage - high 27+ on highway not towing, 18-19 mixed city driving, 12-13 towing.
Truck will tow well over 300 miles on a single tank.

Nice thing about the Ford - you can get Eco or Boost, depending on your needs. Just not both at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_full rig.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	163694  
Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #62

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MM one thing to consider is what is in the slide - one thing I try to avoid is a kitchen with a slide since the gas lines need to be able to move with the slide. Some simply use flex hose, others use swivel joints and hard lines. Either way, there will be wear and tear on that system.

Another thing I have learned is that outside storage is important and the size of the doors is also important - the larger the better. I can finally store my WeberQ in the trailer instead of the truck

Bullets are the lower end of the Keystone line - Cougars are a step up.

My daughter tows a Cougar 26SABWE with a Ford F150 and says it is OK here is a line to their trailer http://www.keystonerv.com/cougar-half-ton/#/floorplans

Our neighbors had a 24SABWE and towed it with a 1/2T truck.

Good Luck in your search
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #63

Here is another option. It is a Grand Design and is at the high end of your budget. It is also a bit heavier and longer than other trailers you have been looking at but definitely towable with a properly equipped F150. For full timing it gives you FAR MORE living space and IMO, comfort than any other TT people posted. Link to the unit and also a link to the GD spec page.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...50RL-121629410

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2950rl
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #64

What does that mean - properly equipped? The F150 has 3 different towing packages (I think) but I feel like most of the trucks I've seen have just the basic tow package and many do not even have a hitch.

What are the other things I will need to invest in if the truck or TT doesn't come equipped?

Some things I have read about are weight distributing hitch (an Equalizer) and a sway bar and some kind of brake system integrated into the truck?

Are these all normally after-market? If yes, Where do i go to have them installed and what is the rough estimate of equipment and labor?

If I have learned anything, it is that car salesman know nothing about trucks and even less about towing!

peace, Maria B, Bug n Bean
Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #65

First I am not a Ford man. However if it is not equipt with a factory installed hitch under the bumper. Walk away. There are add on mounts so if equip that way make sure that sway bar is installed. Some newer trucks will have a built in brake controller many will have wiring for controller already. I use a prodigy 2 controller. Hope I was able to help.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #66

Well, this thread has brought me out of "lurker" mode...great site for reasonable information and real world camping help.

Lot's of good advice given above, it really gets overwhelming. Let me offer a few more thoughts and a recipe.

If your tow rig is going to be an F-150 (or equal) consider getting the smallest camper you can stand to live with/in. Campers always sell us on having everything "just like home". Home can be heavy and cumbersome. We are going camping aren't we?

Looking at your list of requirements and discussions, I'm going to add to the previous recommendations for an Outdoors RV camper. Used would be better but they are hard to find. Hmmm, must be something good about them?

If you liked the Nash 23D, you'll love this Outdoors RV example:
2017 Outdoors RV Creek Side 23RBS Stock: RV517 | Lassen RV

So hear me out on this, all aluminum superstructure, heavy duty frame, 4 seasons, outdoor kitchen, blah blah blah. It's a great medium-sized camper, with fantastic manufacturer support. Watch their videos, go tour the plant.
ORV | Video Resources

You mentioned a desert trip, see what these guys will do on this new 2016 model, my second favorite for you, the rear bunks, which you won't often use, have a great storage space when tipped up.
http://www.rvsrfun.com/default.asp?p...=xNewInventory

Spend some time here reading through the Outdoors RV owners forum. Look for posts from "Dexters", or PM him, he's from my neck of the woods, full times in an Outdoors RV Creekside, I think he even drove across country to buy it. Appears very knowledgeable on the product.

Tow rig, well now here we are. Forget worrying about gas mileage unless you buy a diesel. We're going to get around 10 MPG towing average, I don't care what they tell you at the dealer, so we might as well try to enjoy the ride. No matter what you get, envision your camper as pulling a barn door down the road behind you, wind is the mpg killer. We really do better when we give up, and settle in around 62 mph max.

With that said, here is the recipe, you'll have to work to make it fit your budget. Pick one of the two campers above, offer a cash price that fits your budget, check out this truck, go ahead and pay a local ASE certified mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. You said Northern Cali, take a look at this truck:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6151393381.html

It already has everything you need, factory receiver hitch, 7-way plug, factory trailer brake controller in the dash (to activate camper electric brakes), on top of that it is an F-250, so you can now buy a bigger camper, or much more easily tow either of the above, loaded with gear. It is 4WD as a bonus. If you chose one of the above campers, a weight distribution hitch might not be needed, but always a great upgrade. In short, this truck could literally hook up and tow your camper with minimal setup, or additional accessories, and boy howdy, will it pull. Also note he has a front receiver hitch installed, a good recovery point if you ever get stuck, but the best part is you can hitch your camper to the front and use it to "spot" or park the trailer in a tight spot at your home or at the campsite.

Now the Ford V10 is thirsty for gas, but I hear it doesn't much care whether it is towing or not. Legendary reliability and toughness. Looking at the pictures in the ad, the seller appears to be an avid camper, and by the looks of his gear, he doesn't skimp. Hopefully the truck has been well maintained. If he has any ethics at all, he could be a great source to get you what you need, and an education to boot.

So there it is, take your time, keep researching, I would compare everything you look at to the campers and truck listed above and decide. Last resort, get a newer model F-150 XLT with the factory towing and 5.0 Coyote engine. It is the best kept secret in terms of power and torque for the dollar. All the other trim packages really jack up the price.

Good Luck, I'm putting away my soap box for now.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #67

Well that didn't take long, I'm back, soap box in hand...several have recommended Sunnybrook Harmony. I agree, but they are rare, and not made anymore. Winnebago, who bought them out is close, but they've cut a few corners along the way.

You said you'd go anywhere to get the right trailer, well how about Bowling Green, KY? Nice looking Harmony, has all your requirements except true 4 seasons.
https://bgky.craigslist.org/rvs/6124447043.html

Copy of 2011 Harmony brochure: All aluminum superstructure, quality cabinets, and hinges, very well built.
http://www.jerrystrailers.com/fckima...%20Harmony.pdf
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalMama View Post
What does that mean - properly equipped? The F150 has 3 different towing packages (I think) but I feel like most of the trucks I've seen have just the basic tow package and many do not even have a hitch.

What are the other things I will need to invest in if the truck or TT doesn't come equipped?

Some things I have read about are weight distributing hitch (an Equalizer) and a sway bar and some kind of brake system integrated into the truck?

Are these all normally after-market? If yes, Where do i go to have them installed and what is the rough estimate of equipment and labor?

If I have learned anything, it is that car salesman know nothing about trucks and even less about towing!

peace, Maria B, Bug n Bean

MM, when I say properly equipped I mean that if you are looking at F150 truck, not all will be able to tow the same weight trailer nor have the same payload capacities. As a general rule, the higher the trim level of truck the lower the payload and tow capacities. I.E., an F150 XLT model will have higher capacities than a fully loaded Platinum Edition.

I mention all this because I don't want you to fall in love with the "perfect" trailer and the you realize the truck you bought is marginal at b st or overloaded for the perfect trailer. This is why I mentioned early on and is mentioned all over this forum that it is best to buy your dream trailer first then match the appropriate truck to tow it. I know you are not necessarily able to do this which is why you should be aware of the actual tow and payload capacities of the truck you buy.

Now I will have to agree with Normal Dave on one of his recommendations. I think the F250 V10 gasser he linked to would be a great buy. Couple items on it. It gives you plenty of room for you and your dogs to travel but since it is only an extended cab it makes it that much easier for your to park in various lots and parking stalls. It will tow any trailer in your budget with ease and will alleviate all headaches on trying to find a half ton capable of towing what you want. My opinion is that if you don't have a long commute for work, I would not worry about MPGs on a larger gasser. I have also heard great things about the durability of the V10. The mileage on it is real low for being 9 years old and the rest of the truck looks to be in nice condition. I would also add a cap/she'll on the bed of the truck for storage and keeping things out of the weather.

While we are two totally different people with different needs I think you should be looking at a TT with at least two different sitting areas or even three (dinette and couch or dinette, couch and one or two recliner type chairs). Four seasons would be mandatory with at least one A/C unit. Storage would be important too. Keep in mind that you will probably need to purchase an inverter generator too for general use and Boondocking. There are plenty of people and some on there that seem to full time in trailers that are in the 20' +\- size range and are happy. I'd guess that these individuals are unique and definately not the norm. There are very few places in the US where you can count on the outside of your trailer to act as an additional living space all year long. Three seasons, yes, in many places, but those locations are limited to small parts of the country.

I posted a lot of opinion here so please don't take what I say as gospel. I just don't want you to get convinced that you can handle living in a small travel trailer because others can do it. Only you know your limits.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #69

Difference between engine size, horsepower and torque?

I really need to narrow down my options to find my truck. The local F250 found on Craigslist is just too old for me, even with the low miles. I want the updated safety features and really, really want the rear-view camera. My cervical spine is fused and I have limited range of motion in my neck.

With that being said, I could not understand why so many people think the 3.5 L F150 tows better than a Dodge 1500 Ram with a 5.7 L Hemi so I started digging around into the numbers.

(I am an analytical person and an ex-math teacher, so over-thinking, crunching numbers and trying to understand things is simply my nature - so I might be driving some of you crazy lol)

F150 Ram 1500
2.7 L 3.5 L 5.0 L 5.7 L
325 Hp 365 Hp 385 Hp 395 Hp
375' T 420' T 387' T 410' T

So, now I get it - the 3.5 L has the most Torque! (pulling power) (Of course, I want to know why...but I can wait for that answer)

But, I am back to my original issue that the F150 XLT does not have the rearview camera and a bunch of interior options I've gotten used to with my Pilot (driver side power seats, great sound system to name a few) and driving it felt no different than driving my Pilot.

The Ram I drove was also limited on the interior but did have power seats (no rearview camera - which I may end up doing after market) but I really loved driving it. I am not even sure why...it just felt smooth and powerful and comfortable. It may be due to the larger engine and more horsepower.

So, I either go with the Ram V8 or the F150 3.5 L V6...right now, there are very few 4x4's available so I guess I am waiting for the first one to show up in my area.

I am willing to travel to get my TT but not the truck - too much time/money etc.

As for the comfort of living full-time in my TT - the bigger TT's are quite beautiful and comfortable - but I'd rather save my money and put it into a larger tiny house (8' x 24") than invest in the size of the TT. Right now, I live in a 400 square foot "granny unit" that only has one sitting area (my couch) and then the bedroom so having an actual dinette (place to eat and do work) will be an upgrade!

While I LOVE the kitchen island in the Winnebago Ultralite 27RBDS, I think I am pushing it with the GVWR of 7,700 and the kitchen slide-out makes me nervous. On the other hand, the Keystone Bullet 248RKS has very decent counterspace, and a good layout at (correct me if I am wrong - dry weight plus cargo capacity = GVWR??) 6,500.

However, I do not know if either of those are 4 season (yet) I have a motivated salesman in Arizona who took pictures of the Bullet's chassis (what the heck is THAT?) for me plus a few others to show no rust.

Sigh - the search continues - but the time to push the button is upon me - I have to start packing up and be out of this rental by June 30!!!!

Peace, Maria B, Bug and Bean

ps: Please keep sending me links and suggestions - your input, advice, opinions etc are invaluable and my Dad thanks you from "Heaven"
Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #70

The Bullet is most likely considered extended season. It can be used in the winter but will need some additional work if you have severe winters.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote