Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

1yr old Vs 2018 closeout - value proposition

Hunting for a 2017 model year or 2018 "return" and also contemplating the value proposition between those or just buying a 2018 closeout model for near dealer cost.

I'm allergic to depreciation. But I may not have any other options.

What are the pro/cons here?

Thank you!
Sactogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:24 AM   #2

If you are allergic to depreciation then a trailer is not for you. These things depreciate a lot, no matter which way you go.

You need to get your enjoyment out of what never you buy to make it worthwhile.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Maybe I overstated a little. I realize they depreciate quickly. In my case, the new ones are about $30k and the used ones have asking prices in the 25-28k range. For the same make/model.

Trying to learn if there is any tangible advantage to being the first owner. That I’m not thinking of.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

To me, brand new has the tangible advantage that you know the complete history of the trailer. Now that advantage is much smaller if you are looking at just a 1 year old used model.

New is $30k
Used 1 year is $25k

I would 1st try to buy the new one for $26k. You never know until you make an offer.

2nd try to buy the 1 year old one for $23k. You never know until you make an offer

You can buy the NADA guide which I know for a fact dealers use to low ball trade-in value.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

The only advantages of buying new is you have a warranty and in most cases any particular model or trim level you want can be found somewhere or maybe still in production if you are willing to wait. Used you might wait a long time for a particular model to show up so your choices are more limited.

As far as buying new old stock you'll save a little but not as much as buying a used model of the same year. I don't know what you mean by a "return".

Other than that they both depreciate.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
To me, brand new has the tangible advantage that you know the complete history of the trailer. Now that advantage is much smaller if you are looking at just a 1 year old used model.

New is $30k
Used 1 year is $25k

I would 1st try to buy the new one for $26k. You never know until you make an offer.

2nd try to buy the 1 year old one for $23k. You never know until you make an offer

You can buy the NADA guide which I know for a fact dealers use to low ball trade-in value.
Well the "new" I'm referencing has an MSRP of 39k (verified etc) and they are selling for $30,200. I'm somewhat certain there is only about $2k margin left in it. I've done a bit of homework on the margins for this particular maker.

The used ones have all been private party, where in most cases, the prices are a little inflated for a variety of reasons. I feel, but maybe I'm wrong, it's more difficult to wrangle a deep discount from a private party. Vs a dealer who took it on trade for low or below low book. And price it at high book.

But what I'm really looking at is a 5k gap between new and used. And trying to rationalize if there is any tangible value there. And the answer is "it depends".