Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

2011 Dutchmen Rainier-do we have a lemon?

9/2/11 we bought brand new a 2011 Dutchmen Rainier 30'TT. Have had multiple problems small & large I can't begin to enumerate here. So far have replaced defective power tongue jack, LCI remote control/power board and some other control panel under the trailer that controlled the slide room. Had drawers that weren't installed right, ceiling lights not straight and were hit/pushed up when slide room retracted, fresh water intake hose installed wrong so couldn't fill tank, loose/vibrating water pump, now the carpet inside the trailer along the dinette is soaking wet. Have only had it out camping 3 different occasions, it's been unsuable since mid-October. So very disappointed in the "quality" of the components used and having to send it in over and over for service. Paid $495 for a delivery inspection yet all the cosmetic problems/water fill existed from day 1 and were missed. Already concerned about planned road trip next summer. Is this Dutchmen or the various component manufacturers poor quality?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #2

Check your states "Lemon laws". Usually, these will be based on how many days you lost use of the RV due to problems. You may consider turning the trailer in to the lemon law process, to convince Dutchmen to repair everything, but some lemon laws (like Texas) can't be turned off once initiated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintMyra View Post
9/2/11 we bought brand new a 2011 Dutchmen Rainier 30'TT. Have had multiple problems small & large I can't begin to enumerate here. So far have replaced defective power tongue jack, LCI remote control/power board and some other control panel under the trailer that controlled the slide room. Had drawers that weren't installed right, ceiling lights not straight and were hit/pushed up when slide room retracted, fresh water intake hose installed wrong so couldn't fill tank, loose/vibrating water pump, now the carpet inside the trailer along the dinette is soaking wet. Have only had it out camping 3 different occasions, it's been unsuable since mid-October. So very disappointed in the "quality" of the components used and having to send it in over and over for service. Paid $495 for a delivery inspection yet all the cosmetic problems/water fill existed from day 1 and were missed. Already concerned about planned road trip next summer. Is this Dutchmen or the various component manufacturers poor quality?

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
In the interests of avoiding a brand war and trying not to bruise anyone's feelings, I will only say that the symptoms you describe are among the reasons I've never owned a Dutchmen RV product. Good luck in getting them resolved to your satisfaction.

By the way, since this is your first post,

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
i know how u feel, have had two new tt. both had problems as u listed. on our first trip water ran out of the wheelwell for three days. it was raining so i didnt think anything of it. got home and found out the connection for the outside spray connection was leaking down inside of trailer wall,onto floor under sink and onto steelwheelwell dripping on tire. fixed that myself as dealers are far away. wonder how this could pass manufacturers pressure test? slide floor on new tt was not lined up, in process of adjusting the flooring was ripped. tiook it home, and researched on internet, adjusted properly myself. all tt's are mass produced quickly and have issues. b patient and let them fix up, then get handy and learn the systems yourself. always keep an eye on things yourself and look for future problems bfore theuy happen. its a great trailer choice and u will have tons of fun with it once sorted out. just my opinion of course
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thor products in general are pretty low on my list of desirable RVs. But they manage to keep getting new customers.

Ken
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #6

Wow, and here I was concerned because our new EggCamper had a loose hot water heater fitting and one window leaked! I guess I had nothing to be upset about.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintMyra
Wow, I am sorry to hear about your issues. I purchased a used Dutchman Freedom Spirit in November and I have not gone camping yet because the unit is winterized.

I often check my TT after it rains and thus far It appears to be dry.

I am sure your unit has a warranty. Keep your documents and depending on the state you reside in may warrant a claim in small claims court.

Keep us posted, and welcome.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #8

Which dealer did the $495.00 inspection?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #9

A neighbor had one parked in his side yard a couple of weeks back. I was surprised how vulnerable the waste system exterior plumbing was. The manifold where the grey and black dump lines came together was almost at the back bumper and very low to the ground.

I could easily imagine a sharp transition from a street to a parking lot resulting in the manifold, both dump valves, the pipes from the tanks and the contents of the tanks being all over the street.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #10

Unfortunately a lot of these companies expedct you to be the quality control once you purchase it. Apparently they prefer to get them off the line as quickly as possible and wait for you to find all the stuff wrong with it during the warranty period.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with yellowreef. selling dealers dont seem to care much either.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is under warranty and is now at day 10 this go around for the wet carpet. Haven't heard a word since late last week so figure they are still looking for/repairing damage. We bought it from Poulsbo RV and were surprised how many things they didn't find/notate in the mandatory $495 inspection we had to pay for. We were originally looking at a Jayco of same floor plan but it had zero kitchen storage for foodstuffs or dishes/cookware. Just couldn't figure out where to put everything we need for 2 wk trips or we would have bought the Jayco. Keeping detailed notes in case we need to talk with an attorney. Very upsetting to shell out many thousands of dollars and not be able to use it.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ClintMyra--so sorry to hear of your frustration with the new RV. I can only imagine your disappointment and I hope that everything will be fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #14

Just an update: found it leaking yet again last weekend in the slide. Dealer has had it a week now and after they couldn't find the source we told them we suspect a window so they removed it to find 8" of sealing missing on the lower inside and another 4" from a top corner. Add the gap in caulking WE found and of course water will get in. Sure no quality control at the factory. It's now spent approximately 29 days total in the shop and we've no idea when we'll get it back. We've owned it just 6 months.

ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote