Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1

2013 Coachmen Clipper 16B

Will be picking one up Friday from Lazydays in Tampa, Florida. Never owned a camper and wife and I are excited. This is the new model, it's a hardside, not a pop up. Lazydays wants us to spend the night on their campground Friday as a "shakedown", says to check it out thoroughly and they'll adjust/fix anything we find during the night. Kinda cool. Lookign forward to it. Any suggestions to a couple of newbies?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Dont forget the bbq grill.

Seriously, I would run every systen on the thing...plumbing, every appliance, Hook up to shore power, then try running off batteries. Run Furnace and fridge both with and without shore power. Try all the lights and appliances. Run the A/C even if it is cold outside. Just have fun playing with everything. Keep a list of questions that come up so you can ask them in the morning or whenever.
Bruce

Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

Bought the camper yesterday, stayed overnight. Kudos to Lazydays. I don't know how they could have made my buying experience any better. I got a new camper at a good price and was made to feel welcome at the same time. Good job to all involved.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats, hope you guys really enjoy your new camper
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Yah, I am not picking mine up until March....I can't wait. Good luck and let us all know your first couple trips turn out.
Bruce
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
Yah, I am not picking mine up until March....I can't wait. Good luck and let us all know your first couple trips turn out.
Bruce
Make sure you have a class III hitch if your buying a Coachman Clipper. Even though the Clipper falls in the 3500 lb category, it has a 2 5/16 inch coupler, requiring the 2 5/16 ball. Ford, as part of the tow package on my 2012 Escape, installed a Class II with the 1 1/4 inch receiver...couldn't mount a 2 5/16 ball on it. Lazydays is paying to install a class III hitch on my truck. Once again, I can't complain about Lazydays, but wish either Ford would install class III on the Escapes with the 3500 lbs tow ability, OR Coachmen would have built the camper with a 2" coupler.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

The camper I have bought and will pick up this spring requires a 2" ball. But I have a question for you. From what you say, it sounds like your Ford Escape has a 3500 pound towing capacity. And then you said the coachman is 3500 pounds. Do you expect any problems towing with such a tight window. My camper dry is well under 3000 pounds and my 2004 Blazer has a tow rating of 5000. But I am still worried about it's ability to tow the camper on anything much beyond level ground.
Bruce
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

My camper's dry weight is 2499 lbs. Once you add my wife and I plus luggage and freshwater...I think we will be close to the max. I'm not too worried about the Escape towing it. I've done a lot of research and think it will handle the load fine. Unfortunately, the camper is at the max limit of my installed class II hitch and, since Coachmen installed a 2 5/16 coupler, I gotta step up to a class III hitch.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

OK, this has been an adventure. Finally got the Class III hitch installed. They didn't have to remove the factory hitch so now I have two. Kudo's to Lazydays...after spending most of the day there, they did not charge anything, said it was a gift for my patience. Got home and hooked up the camper, now, I've never towed anything this heavy before but it towed "OK". I could feel the Escape rocking a little if large vehicles passed us, but nothing drastic. Not sure if I need sway bars are not. I've heard people say they didn't even know they were towing anything, well I knew the camper was back there but the truck didn't seem to struggle with pulling it. It was mostly a little rocking from wind and road conditions. It has electric brakes and I gotta figure out how to set them. Wife and I are looking forward to camping.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

Yes, you'll feel the rocking when a large truck passes by. We tow a 17' EggCamper that is about the same weight as your new trailer, and even with our large 2011 Tundra with a tow capacity of 8200 pounds we "know it's back there." We have never needed the anti-sway bars with ours, but if you ever experience any sway you might need one - does the escape have built-in anti-sway control?

We used to tow the EggCamper with an S-10 V6 that had a tow capacity of 5200 pounds but only a four-speed automatic. It was fine on flat ground but with the four-speed it had to drop into third on any significant grade and then we had to slow way down. If it had had a six-speed like your Escape, it probably would have been fine even on hills. I like "going with the flow" and don't like blocking traffic so we gave the S-10 to a son and bought the Tundra with a six-speed automatic - now we have never had to slow down on even the steepest hills we've encountered.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #11

I just registered to this forum so I could ask some questions about this specific model. I can't find much in the way of reviews with respect to build quality etc.

At the moment, it fits the profile for the trailer we'd like to buy so the family can start camping and enjoying the great outdoors. My apologies for highjacking your thread, but can anyone comment on this brand/model to vouch for it's quality? Currently, this has the edge for me, but it's narrowed down to this vs. the Dutchmen 815BH.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Congrats on the new rig and just remember everyone around here likes alot of pictures of all your travels and of the camper inside and out.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Travels
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy76 View Post
I just registered to this forum so I could ask some questions about this specific model. I can't find much in the way of reviews with respect to build quality etc.

At the moment, it fits the profile for the trailer we'd like to buy so the family can start camping and enjoying the great outdoors. My apologies for highjacking your thread, but can anyone comment on this brand/model to vouch for it's quality? Currently, this has the edge for me, but it's narrowed down to this vs. the Dutchmen 815BH.

Thanks!
I've owned mine for about a month. Haven't had a chance to overnight in it yet, except for the one night at LazyDays when we first bought it. I can tell you it appears to be well built, especially the cabinetry. IF your talking about camping with a family (there's only the wife and I), I'd go with the Clipper 16fb, a little longer and better sleeping accomodations. Sorry such a short review, but I haven't taken it out yet.

Tags
coachmen