Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #1

2013 Coleman 30' TT

I have owned only pop ups. I am buying a 30' Coleman "dry weight" is 6900 lbs. I own a 2013 GMC 1500 w/ a 5.3 w/ HD tow package. Am I going to have any problems pulling this? The hitch weight is 936 lbs. thanks for the input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #2

There are many posts about towing info, and all the answers have one thing in common . DRY WEIGHT , means nothing when you setting up to tow a trailer. Most often the dry weight is understated from the manufacturer, and the only time it will be truly empty is on the trip from the sales lot to your house.
You need to start with your trucks GVWR , FAWR, RAWR and GCWR to start to get an idea of the GVWR of the trailer you can, safely handle.
Then a trip to the scales with you and family, pets and other stuff on board the truck, and a full tank of fuel . to see how much , weight carrying capacity you have left in your P/U.
Most , factory trailer tow weight calculations are done with only a 150 lbs driver in the truck. so are greatly over rated.
Your going to have to allow another 100 lbs minimum on the trailer hitch weight for reciever and bars and of course the hitch weights aren't always accurate. Another poster found his trailer weight listed at 580 lbs tipped the scales at over 900.
JMHO. Your going to need a properly equiped 3/4 ton for that trailer.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

If you haven't already read through this post in
Trailer towing & tow vehicles
the first post
Tow vehicle sizing and Weight calculations.
Please do; many links and more info on obtaining weights.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. forget the dry weights. Once you add the options and your camping gear, you will be 1000 to 1500# more and the hitch weight will increase by another 150#.

YOu need to see what your GVWR and GCWR limits are for you truck, engine and axle ration. Then weigh your truck loaded with passengers, full fuel, cargo and hitch.

Personally, I'd not pull a 30' trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I'd step up to a 3/4 ton truck with a larger engine.

Ken
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. I did look at my GCWR and its 15,000. Since I own the truck already I will probably see if they will let me tow around the corner before purchasing. The truck has trailer tow package already installed. Also, looked at trailer specs and I was incorrect on the "dry weight" by 800. It's 800 lbs less. I'm hoping I can make this work. I will keep you both in the loop. Again, thanks for the help! If I do purchase I will probably be on here a lot!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Seems like a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton truck but that's just my opinion. Have you checked other manufacturers' floor plans for one similar to the Coleman. You may find that another manufacture might make an ultra lite design in the same floor plan that could knock 1000# off the weight.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

.take the 800 lbs back on that would be the weight you b put in the TT , chairs , tables, food , clothing etc
Take it to the scales and weight

I tow a Flagstaff TT 831 RKSS 2012 model , TV. Is 09 dodge ram 5.7 crew cab took mine to the scales and it weighs 6800
Equalizer 4 way on truck with sway control , pull great
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraus View Post
I have owned only pop ups. I am buying a 30' Coleman "dry weight" is 6900 lbs. I own a 2013 GMC 1500 w/ a 5.3 w/ HD tow package. Am I going to have any problems pulling this? The hitch weight is 936 lbs. thanks for the input.
I'll tell you a little story about this and if you want to talk to this individual personally I'll put you in touch.
Friend had chosen a TT GVWR of 7900lbs. He asked me about truck size. I told him get a properly equipped 3/4 ton. So he went to his local Chev. dealer looking for a 3/4ton truck. Salesman asked what he was planning to tow , and said " 1/2 ton will tow that no problem ". So off he went with his new 1/2 ton. Two shortened week end trips later ; after spending hours stopped waiting for the trans temp light to go out; he was back at the dealership, and after meetings with the salesman, sales manager , dealership owner and threats of legal action , he got full credit towards the 3/4 ton he should have had in the first place.
Turns out the dealer had sold out of 3/4 tons so was pushing to get rid of the 1/2 tons they had in stock. They had to go to a dealer 350 miles away to get him the truck. The dealer that had the truck was in his son's home town. Two years and many RV adventures later he's happy with his 3/4 ton.