Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

2013 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21fbrs tires

We have 10,000 plus mles on original tires and they still look great. Very careful to keep pressure at 50 lbs..concerned about when to put on new tires.. Tires are kept covered and use 303 aero space uv protectant frequently..tt weighs about 4500lbs..comments

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

Depending on production date they could be coming on 5 years old. There is a build date code in the serial number. I would replace at least before the next travel season starts.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Commercial Member

It would help to know the size and if the tires were ever driven with less than 45 psi along with the tire DOT serial
Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #4

always at 50 psi.check before each trip.205/75r14 kinda carrier load star DOT 7YT8 DATE 3212(MARCH 2,2012) ALWAYS CRAWL UNDER TT TO CHECK INSIDE OF TIRES FOR ANY DAMAGE, SO FAR NONE. THANKS
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

You are close. Made the 32nd week of 2012. I would still replace due to age. Cheap insurance against a failure. At that weight may be load rated C. Can probably be upgrade to a D rated tire for close to the same money. If done traveling til spring wait and do it so new tires are not just aging while stored.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
You are close. Made the 32nd week of 2012. I would still replace due to age. Cheap insurance against a failure. At that weight may be load rated C. Can probably be upgrade to a D rated tire for close to the same money. If done traveling til spring wait and do it so new tires are not just aging while stored.
having a problem with tt tires vs light duty truck tires which can go 60,000 miles, are not covered and air pressure not checked very often on average
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
always at 50 psi.check before each trip.205/75r14 kinda carrier load star DOT 7YT8 DATE 3212(MARCH 2,2012) ALWAYS CRAWL UNDER TT TO CHECK INSIDE OF TIRES FOR ANY DAMAGE, SO FAR NONE. THANKS
Getting old. Have you done a "Free Spin" inspection as covered in my blog?

You don't have X-Ray vision, do you

Tire failures such as tread or belt separations start from the internal part of the tire (not the air chamber) in the thickest part.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Getting old. Have you done a "Free Spin" inspection as covered in my blog?

You don't have X-Ray vision, do you

Tire failures such as tread or belt separations start from the internal part of the tire (not the air chamber) in the thickest part.
plan to do free spin in spring. tt in storage for winter
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

I thought tires were good for 7 to 8 years as long as no cracks and bubbles.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
plan to do free spin in spring. tt in storage for winter
Good plan. It looks like I may not have included the link to the video on what I mean by "free spin"
Its covered in THIS post.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
I thought tires were good for 7 to 8 years as long as no cracks and bubbles.
Tire life depends on many variables including where you live and where you travel.
Here is PART2 of a 2 part post on tire age.

Tags
tires