Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite and weight distributing hitch ?

Hi all

I just picked up a new 2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221. I called Jayco today and ask them about installing my weight distributing hitch, I was told that they don’t recommend using one, does this sound right?

The reason I called them in the first place was, I was not sure if the A Frame was strong enough to handle the stress of a weight distributing hitch, It’s just made like a c channel, the whole frame is lightweight as far as that goes.

Does anyone here have a Jay Feather Ultra Lite that has an A frame made like this ? And do you use a weight distributing hitch ?

Thanks !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Contact distributers for Reese and Easy-lift weight dist. kits and they will give you correct info. The factory will never put their okay on aftermarket items
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Result?

Did you end up putting the weight distributing hitch on? We are getting ready to buy a 221 this weekend.

Okle Miller
Valrico, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchpin View Post
Hi all

I just picked up a new 2013 Jay Feather Ultra Lite 221. I called Jayco today and ask them about installing my weight distributing hitch, I was told that they don’t recommend using one, does this sound right?

The reason I called them in the first place was, I was not sure if the A Frame was strong enough to handle the stress of a weight distributing hitch, It’s just made like a c channel, the whole frame is lightweight as far as that goes.

Does anyone here have a Jay Feather Ultra Lite that has an A frame made like this ? And do you use a weight distributing hitch ?

Thanks !
oklemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklemiller View Post
Did you end up putting the weight distributing hitch on? We are getting ready to buy a 221 this weekend.

Okle Miller
Valrico, FL

Yes, I called BAL/NORCO, they are the ones that made the frame, they said it's ok to use a weight distributing hitch as long as the spring bars are not over 1,000 lbs. I am using 800 lb. bars, I had a set of 600 lb. bars but they would have been to lite.

I called Jayco and they said that the hitch height for the 221 is 22".

I ended up setting the ball height on my 1500 truck at 23 1/4" this extra 1 1/4" allowed for the truck squat when loaded.

We like our 221 very much, I wish you the very best.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Thanks, good to know. We bought ours today and got the hitch install included in the price. We can't wait to get her on the road.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklemiller View Post
Thanks, good to know. We bought ours today and got the hitch install included in the price. We can't wait to get her on the road.
After I got to looking around there is a sticker on the frame up by the Coupler, that says 1000 lb. spring bars max.

What size bars did they install?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Hitch

Not sure, it hasn't been done yet, but I will be sure to ask when I schedule to appointment. That's why I'm glad there are forums like this!

Tags
weight