Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

2013 V-Lite 30WRLST, roof bubble

Hello everyone. I have a 2013 V-lite 30 WRLST, it is an awesome trailer and it tows great. I have had it about 6 months and am very excited about it. Only minor issues so far, have taken it out a couple of times. I was inspecting it today and I noticed that I have a small hole in the roof material near my Awning. Last year my awning was ripped off by the wind and I had it replaced at the local RV place. They did an acceptable job and I was happy with the work. The hole I have found is about the size of a nickle and should be a simple repair with some eternabond tape. There are two separate spots that need attention and I expect it will be a simple process.

With all of that said, I did notice that the sides of the roof material bubble up and are not glued down like the rest of the roof material. There doesn't appear to be any damage, stretching or any other indicators of damage. I just found it odd. I wanted to ask if this is acceptable? I live in the High Desert of California right now so no concerns with current rain or weather, however I expect to keep this trailer for a very long time and this is the time to repair something, before a problem starts.

If it is a problem, then I have an idea of how I would go about effecting a repair and am confident I can do so without replacing the whole roof. I didn't take any photos but can when I repair it this weekend.
mfsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

Should have had insurance pay for the awning and new roof when you had the chance.

I bet water got in the hole, loosened the glue adhesion, and now that roof will flap in the wind, causing it to keep coming loose.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Do your best to repair with Dicor or roof tape. The places loose are common in rubber roofs
drgcont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

The roof tape is going on this weekend, do I need to worry about the bubbles? it spans the full length of the side, about 3 inches wide roughly. The hole is an easy fix, but what comes to mind is to take a razor and make a cut every foot or so, put some dicor in and use a roller to push it all around, squeezing the bubble out. I think it would be messy, but doable. I live in a very arid place and there is no damage from water at this time, we have had 1 shower, not even enough to call it rain this year so far.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #5

Loose roofs are not common, I've seen plenty.

Dicor lap sealant is not for gluing. Dicor 901BA is for gluing, and that would be a temporary fix, but it might last a while.
Since you don't want to pull the roof, even if it loosened glue all over, I'd remove the roof trim down that side, flap the roof up, apply glue, reseal it all, and screw it back down.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #6

Do no worry about bubbles. You are taking a chance repairing it that way. Don't worry about it. You can't get where you need to get all the glue into all the areas.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #7

How are bubbles not good? How are they not flapping in the wind traveling? How is that flapping not chaffing against the OSB decking underneath. Why else would they glue it from the factory?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

I've installed many roofs. Who said it was flapping. Being loose in areas is some what normal. When it is installed some glue does not take especially on the outer edges, running the length is some what Norma on the Radius. There is no way to get glue into bubbled areas, you will open a can of worms that you can't close.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #9

But don't listen to me. When you have tried it, and it doesn't work. Come back
For advice and instructions on rubber roof replacement.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

WOW, DR, who said I wasn't going to listen? My prefered method of repair is to patch the holes and continue on. I asked so I could leverage the advice from the net into a workable solution using your experience in areas where I have none. I appreciate you chiming in and pointing me in a direction based on your experiences, in a way that adds value to the conversation, at least initially.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #11

No problem. Someone else was giving you advice I felt was like making a small thing huge. It will be fine . All roofs that are one piece have wrinkles and everything
Else. Loose areas are not un-common
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #12

I think this is a case of we have both installed multiple roofs and have ideas of what is acceptable, and have seen different results from loose roofs.

In my book, a loose roof is not acceptable, new or used.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #13

10-4 buddy.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #14

I told him not to listen to me. Check all RVs. Portions of roofs are always loose

Tags
roof