Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
2014 Freedom Express 242RBS

We are seriously looking at this travel trailer, anybody have any comments, good or bad?? Looks to be in excellent shape, $16,5K. Does anyone know the EXACT length from bumper to hitch? We'll be towing with a half ton Chevy Silverado.

Thanks for any advise!

calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
This unit is made by Coachman, should have clarified that!!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to some previous posts that may help. Good luck with your decision.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Free...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Hi Calico,
My wife and I bought that Coachmen model last year and are not satisfied. We have owned two TT and a MH, so we have some experience traveling in an RV.
My first complaint is that the roof air conditioner is very loud and if you have the vent open you cannot hear the TV or carry on a conversation. Next is the bounce; it is the worst "jiggle" than any RV we have owned. The scissor-jacks in the corners don't give much stability. I think that part of the problem is the axle design on these has an extra wide gap (they say for stability in towing) which makes it impossible to use the spreader locks and tough to make tight turns when parking. We have take four trips and so far the microwave had to be replaced, the furnace didn't work, the grey and black gauges don't work right, the stove exhaust fan doesn't work, the trim is coming loose inside, the shroud around the wheels cracked, and the deadbolt lock on the door won't work unless the thing is absolutely perfectly level (had to sleep with door unlocked while on the road a couple of times as door wouldn't lock from inside). I paid $21,000 for it and can only get $14,000 in trade, I've tried several dealers. Don't think I'd buy a Coachmen again as they just throw them together without much quality control.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

We looked ar a few Coachmen products but none passed the sniff-test. There were some nice floorplans, but everything seemed cheap. The Winnebago Minnie towables are in the same size range as the one you mention and are very well made.

After 2 years, 107 nights, and many many miles with 2 kids and 2 dogs, we have had no issues and certainly nothing requiring a trip to a dealer. A couple of loose screws and a drippy faucet that needed to be snuggled up at camp, but that can happen with any RV.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #6

We bought a 2015 Freedom Express and have had nothing but problems. As stated earlier, Coachmen lacks quality control. We've replaced water pumps, TV wiring, air conditioner, shower head and the list goes on. The radio was mis-wired and then fell out of the mount. The speakers weren't wired correctly. Latest problem: our black tank just fell out of the trailer (luckily it was at a campground). So far everything was under warranty, but I shudder to think what will break next.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. We ended going with a totally different unit. Purchased a 2013 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite Elite 23RB, pickup on Friday. The length was important to us. The very max we wanted to buy is 27'6. I read the Coachman above is 27'10 from bumper to end hitch.

Any feedback on the 2013 Keystone????
Old 07-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

I have a 2015 coachmen freedom express 292bhds. We've had it out on 7 or 8 trips and I've only had one issue, the converter didn't work on day 1. They replaced it. I've had no issue with trim. The AC vent in the living room has a slider that can be closed forcing all the air into the ducted vents and is much quieter. X chocks makes an XL version that works on the spread axles.

Basically none of the issues noted above have been issues for me and I love my TT.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Loraura, I'm glad that you haven't had many problems with your Coachmen 292. I looked at the XL spread chocks but thought they were expensive; but they would be worth the price if it would lesson the "bounce" while camped. Do you use them? Also, do you notice an excessive bounce when people walk or move around in the camper?
Yes, the slider on the roof AC can be closed to make it a little less noise, but compared to other TTs we have owned it is exceedingly loud. Have you had trouble with your tank gauges yet?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #10

2014 Freedom Express 242RBS

I ordered the xchocks that will fit but they haven't come in yet. I'll report back once they are in.

It does bounce a bit when my 18yo son or husband stomp around and it does seem a little Moreso than with our previous 19ft HTT, but I wasn't surprised by it and it's only noticeable when my lead-footed men stomp around. I ordered the xchocks not for the stomp-deadening but for actual chocking. Sometimes when the pavement isn't level on the low side and the tires are up on Lynx blocks it's hard to get the chucks good and snug.

I haven't had problems with my sensors yet, but I'm diligent about cleaning the tanks out, making sure they are full before dumping, etc. my last HTT had the sensors off from day one. It's very common if toilet paper or gunk sticks to the sensors. I always dump some ice from the ice chest into the toilet before we leave our spot so when I drive and the loops it can help clean the sensors.

This is the first ducted AC unit I've owned, so the AC seems quiet to me unless that vent on unit is open.