Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS purchase?

I've been researching all I can over the last couple of months and oddly I have that crazy feeling I want to actually buy a TT. After a while looking at so many models they all start to blend. The two that seemed to fit what our family is looking for in terms of layout / level of finish was the Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS and the Keystone outback. The cougar line was really nice as well but a bit more $$. The Jayco eagle seemed to be a decent quality and built pretty solid. Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding the Jayco Eagle TT line as right now we're leaning that way?

This would be our first TT purchase and any suggestions what I should be asking about or negotiating are much appreciated. e.g. extended warranty, any particular options, also what %off of MSRP should we be looking for. The dealer offered 18% off MSRP.

and I would be pulling it with a Ram 2500 6.7 gasser shortbed.

Thanks in advance.
franknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

I would buy a Jayco before a Keystone, that's for sure. I've been in/under/on/opened lots of trailers, and usually Keystone is the least well built.

Look at Coachmen Freedom Express. The 297 is close to that floor plan, but instead the bed slides out in the front.
And the Freedom Express 298 is kind of like what you showed but the recliners get their own slides.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Thx jesilvas - we just went for the Jayco 298 eagle. It was closest to what the whole family wanted. Hopefully I keep feeling it was the right choice.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Only issue that stands out about the 289 is the relatively small grey water tank. 32.5 gals won't take very long to fill up if not hooked up to sewer. With an 82 gal fresh water you would think they would at least have a 40-50 gal grey water tank.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

My wife and I are picking up our first new TT on Thursday, a Jayco JayFlight 269 RLS. I spent hours researching TT's and found a few things that lead me to the Jayco Family.

The first was the construction on the walls and roof. I felt the construction and everything tied into it was a step above most of the other brands.

The second was that Jayco is a privately owned company. I appreciate the fact that corners are not cut on quality to make stick holders happy.

Happy shopping!
lane raker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco, jayco eagle, purchase