Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

Dealer in Baird, TX.................
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #16

Thank you all so much!!!
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #17

I had a few problems with my Dutchmen and got the run a round from their (Dutchmen) customer service department. If you don't get the results needed, send me a message and I'll share my resolution strategy with you. Good luck
doctorlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #18

This may be slightly off topic.....so.....if it is moderators please remove.....

But....just seems like at the end if the day everyone w problems has to go back to the factory at some point. I wonder how long before manufacturers decide to open regional factory owned service centers / dealers? I wonder if the market would embrace these type of service centers?
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
This may be slightly off topic.....so.....if it is moderators please remove.....

But....just seems like at the end if the day everyone w problems has to go back to the factory at some point. I wonder how long before manufacturers decide to open regional factory owned service centers / dealers? I wonder if the market would embrace these type of service centers?

Very few go back to the factory. I've been reading these forums for 3-4 yrs and have only read a handful of posts about owners having to go back to the factory for repairs. If your dealer can't fix it then find another dealer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

That's part of the concern I have fixing this leak... I don't have faith in the dealer or the maintenance guys.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorlock View Post
I had a few problems with my Dutchmen and got the run a round from their (Dutchmen) customer service department. If you don't get the results needed, send me a message and I'll share my resolution strategy with you. Good luck
. Thank you. Taking it in Jan 10
Old 12-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #22

Go somewhere else. You don't have to go to the selling dealer. Anyone who deals with their warranty will work on it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Go somewhere else. You don't have to go to the selling dealer. Anyone who deals with their warranty will work on it.
thank you.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #24

I've had various campers (Class A's, TTs, TT Hybrids, Pop Ups) over the years. Only bought one new (a TT about 12 years ago). My experience with that was good, not much in the way of problems. That being said, I prefer buying used for a couple of reasons. 1st, you dont get hit with the incredible depreciation on an RV. 2nd, if something is a couple of years old (and you can spot mechanical problems, or know someone you can trust who can), you will be able to see all these big and little issues. Of the things you list, the leak issue is probably the biggest and you should be able to get some sort of warranty satisfaction from the dealer/mfg. But never having gong through that myself, I couldn't say. I would suggest keeping a blog on the forums of the situation and how the mfg does or does not help resolve the issue (I'm pretty sure they look through these forums to keep tabs on how their products are doing). That being said, be factual not emotional on what you write.

As far as the other things go, all I can say is RVs are complicated beasts. A mighty compromise of customers desires and ability to pay for something, and the manufacturers desire to build a quality, light weight, cost efficient product. My latests TT, a 2012 Forrest River Shasta 28 Bunk (used) looked very nice when I inspected it. It wasnt until after the first couple of trips the warts started to show. The main door hinge froze up, the power awning leaks at the center near the roofline (possibly abuse from previous owner). The screen door latch screw stripped out. The glass shower door would not close properly (turned out the wheels on the top track had come out, again, possibly something the previous owner did). Worst of all, we were giving our 4-year old a bath in the little tub in the shower when my wife says she sees a leak on the floor. I saw the drain was not fitting securely around the tub. I ended up having to remove the paneling under the shower/tub and found that the bottom of the shower/tub pan was about 1/4 inch above the wooden base it was supposed to be resting on. Incredibly shoddy workmanship by whoever installed the shower. Fortunately, I was able to shim up the gap with some flooring tiles I had laying around, resealed the drain, and all is well.
My long-winded point here is that I don't consider my TT a lemon. The workmanship on these units is usually marginal at best. We were out window shopping for newer class A DPs last week and I was astounded that the same crappy lighting and plumbing fixtures in my 2012 TT were in $200K + DPs. Ceiling lights were unevenly installed, doors would not latch correctly etc. When you buy into RVs of any flavor, you should be prepared for these kind of issues. Hopefully you are handy at fixing things or know a reliable RV mechanic. I found a good shop in the Kissimmee Fl area for trailer frame work, breaks, gas etc, but they dont work on the coach.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #25

Thanks for your time to respond... No. Lol. I'm not handy- I try and can do little repairs. We think we isolated the slide leak not sure. You're right, that's the biggy. We are taking it in this Friday for repairs. I hope the main stuff gets repaired well. Again, yes, I know there is always work to be done on any camper, motor home, etc but it's brand new. I had hoped these major issues wouldn't pop up so soon. Anyway, better now under warranty I suppose. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #26

Unless you pay $$$$$$$ for an RV (and that's not always true) you're basically getting nothing more than Yugo technology. How many people would pay $30-40,000 for a Yugo?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote