Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #1

2014 Kodiak- lemon? Hmm

We purchased a Kodiak Dutchmen 2014 in August. It's been back for repairs once for a frayed cable on the kitchen slide, mini blind repair, and shower door alignment. It needs to go back for massive leak on slide, under part of slide is tearing the metal trim when it goes in and out, Formica on kitchen slide counter is bubbled up and looks bad, the bathroom window latch is stripped and won't open, and the screen door catches on the lock mechanism when you open it. How much of this should I put up with or should I demand a new unit?

The picture is not my TT but one I found on the internet that's tearing up in the exact same way that mine is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2682634277.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	52142  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

I would be at the dealer , service managers office. Ask for a meeting with the owner and Kodiak rep all in the same room . Start with all the repairs , ask them on this model how many others have had he same?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfloyd View Post
I would be at the dealer , service managers office. Ask for a meeting with the owner and Kodiak rep all in the same room . Start with all the repairs , ask them on this model how many others have had he same?
X2
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Good idea- just gotta get it back from the deer lease. Lol. I sure hope it's not a lemon. I know it's not a high end unit but sure thought it'd fair better than it has.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

The latch, shower door, shade, and window latch are small things that are common, unfortunately.
The frayed cable is an issue and, of course, the leak. Big issues. But a lemon? I hardly see that.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
Good idea- just gotta get it back from the deer lease. Lol. I sure hope it's not a lemon. I know it's not a high end unit but sure thought it'd fair better than it has.
The deer lease roads I use are pretty rough.......A flimsy trailer will come apart. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

You are right. But the leaks and the torn up slide were prior to the deer lease trip. This unit is tearing up in multiple places to be so new.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

I'd demand a new unit. Another brand also. Seriously doubt you will get a new unit though. I would venture unless the dealer will back you 100% then you may end up needing a lawyer to get rid of the current one and step into a new one. Even then it still may not happen. Just another reason to stay away from Dutchman.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

So Dutchmen isn't too good? Hmm. I know they throw most of these units together so fast and use cheap materials to keep cost and weight down , but I'd sure thought it would last longer than 4 camping trips!

What's a good fifth wheel to look at for future purchase?
Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

I would look at Arctic Fox by Northwood. Enjoy shopping.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #11

I find many folks equate buying an RV or TT to buying a vehicle like a Ford, Honda, BMW ect. I opine you should consider buying a RV or TT more similar to a HIGHLY customized home or a one of a kind custom engineered product. Automakers manufacture at the least tens of thousands of a particular model in a single year. More popular and mainstream models may see yearly production at a million vehicles per year. (Ford F150 or GMC& Chevy 1500 combined sales) Even the most popular RV or TT model sells in minuscule numbers compared to cars. Relatively speaking cars are very simple compared to an RV or TT. In an RV not only do you have the chassis and drivetrain but you have a plumbing system, wastewater system, power plant (Genny) ect ect ect. Further, each coach is handmade unlike a car that rolls down a robotic assembly line. As much as I hate it.....and I've had multiple new coaches over the years......no matter how much or how little you spend.....you will spend days, weeks, months and sometimes over a year chasing problems, construction mistakes and poorly engineered designs. RVs manufactures don't have the luxury of computer simulating everything or the feedback from hundreds of thousands of owners in every conceivable operating environment. Additionally, when you buy a car.....yes its made of many components.......but its a complete unit by one manufacturer....engine...drivetrain...AC ect. In other words its vertically integrated. The RVs industry just isn't even close to that.....an engine from here.....tranny from there.....brakes from here.....ect. Its a conglomeration of components many of which have little if any testing being used in conjunction with each other. So if you buy an RV or TT its more like a very customized one of a kind house than anything you are used to buy than anything thats mass produced. That's just how the industry operates. Its just not possible to make 900,000 Monaco Knights or insert you favorite brand here...... So as bad as problems are with your coach or TT.....and I had one where Forrest River only tack welded the entire house to the chassis and had the chassis separate while driving......lots of fun........as bad as the problems are don't consider it a lemon.....consider it an engineering work in progress. --Jim
Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
I would look at Arctic Fox by Northwood. Enjoy shopping.
x2, they're heavy but solid. In house built frames too.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
I find many folks equate buying an RV or TT to buying a vehicle like a Ford, Honda, BMW ect. I opine you should consider buying a RV or TT more similar to a HIGHLY customized home or a one of a kind custom engineered product. Automakers manufacture at the least tens of thousands of a particular model in a single year. More popular and mainstream models may see yearly production at a million vehicles per year. (Ford F150 or GMC& Chevy 1500 combined sales) Even the most popular RV or TT model sells in minuscule numbers compared to cars. Relatively speaking cars are very simple compared to an RV or TT. In an RV not only do you have the chassis and drivetrain but you have a plumbing system, wastewater system, power plant (Genny) ect ect ect. Further, each coach is handmade unlike a car that rolls down a robotic assembly line. As much as I hate it.....and I've had multiple new coaches over the years......no matter how much or how little you spend.....you will spend days, weeks, months and sometimes over a year chasing problems, construction mistakes and poorly engineered designs. RVs manufactures don't have the luxury of computer simulating everything or the feedback from hundreds of thousands of owners in every conceivable operating environment. Additionally, when you buy a car.....yes its made of many components.......but its a complete unit by one manufacturer....engine...drivetrain...AC ect. In other words its vertically integrated. The RVs industry just isn't even close to that.....an engine from here.....tranny from there.....brakes from here.....ect. Its a conglomeration of components many of which have little if any testing being used in conjunction with each other. So if you buy an RV or TT its more like a very customized one of a kind house than anything you are used to buy than anything thats mass produced. That's just how the industry operates. Its just not possible to make 900,000 Monaco Knights or insert you favorite brand here...... So as bad as problems are with your coach or TT.....and I had one where Forrest River only tack welded the entire house to the chassis and had the chassis separate while driving......lots of fun........as bad as the problems are don't consider it a lemon.....consider it an engineering work in progress. --Jim
Well said. TT's and 5th wheels are nothing more than a manufactured home on a trailer frame.
Like the saying goes. You need to be either rich or handy when you own one.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #14

He will have a hard time looking at Northwood units in Longview, TX. I would suggest Jayco and KZ as potential buys.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote