Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #1

2015 Keystone Laredo 299BH

Wife and I are seriously considering buying this unit. It is beautiful. My only concern is the tongue weight. My truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 with the tow package. It has a max tow of 8800lbs and a max payload of 1650, with a GCVWR of 14,150. The trailer weighs (empty) at 6880 and is rated at 8200 for a full load. The camper has a tongue weight of 830lbs which leave me about 830lbs of cargo. I know this is close. I think the weights are OK, but am concerned about pulling 29ft of sail behind my truck, I'm worried about sway and buffeting in high wind. Any co mments? Here's a link:

Laredo
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

We pull a 28' Jayco (8100lbs loaded on the CAT scales) with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost. I have more towing capacity (9,200) but less payload (1200), so we are in a similar situation. With the WD hitch and sway control, I do OK but you will know its there. Most trailer tires are only rated at 65mph, so I set the cruise at 60 and keep in the slow lane. That removes a lot of the stress. Had a pretty windy drive home last week, but no issues. Ideally, you will want a bigger truck to avoid the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. But, I'd say go for it and have fun until it's time to trade in for a new truck. The 2500 is not much more and everyone swears that they make a huge difference in towing comfort. You have 400lbs more payload than I have, so more room for the wife, kids etc. Good luck!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Ok, picked the camper up Saturday, drove home Sunday. I was surprised how smooth and easily my truck towed the camper. Much better experience than I expected. Had to travel about 50 miles, mostly flat with an termperature hoving around 90 -95* outside. Watching my gauges, my oil temp rose to 230* while on the interstate and dropped as soon as my RPMs did. Probably gonna put in synthetic oil at my oil change. Other than that, I'm pleased with the combination.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

You really should weigh the tongue with the trailer loaded and ready to go. My guess is that it will be much more than the sales brochure.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:13 AM   #5

..started leaking last night. ..actually two leaks. Noticed the left window in the master bedroom was leaking. There is an occasional drop of water running down the wall and onto the carpet. It appears to be coming from under the frame of the window, which makes me think the window is not sealed properly allowing water in at the top which then works its way around the frame and out the bottom. If so, I wonder about the wall board, if that is getting any damage. I also have water on the floor on the left side, just underneath the slide. The trailer is not level and the water was beginning to run into the master bedroom. Probably a cup full. Just got this camper Saturday, I hope this is not indicative of the quality. Back to the dealer.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #6

The windows need to be pulled and properly sealed. Quality and RV are not be used in the same paragraph.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The windows need to be pulled and properly sealed. Quality and RV are not be used in the same paragraph.
I hope you're wrong. My first camper was a 14' Coachmen Clipper that we had for over a year and a half. Never had a leak. From what you're saying, all the windows need to be resealed, I certainly hope it ain't that bad, I've already got a warranty issue with the bathroom.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavagrand View Post
I hope you're wrong. My first camper was a 14' Coachmen Clipper that we had for over a year and a half. Never had a leak. From what you're saying, all the windows need to be resealed, I certainly hope it ain't that bad, I've already got a warranty issue with the bathroom.
It is my understanding the windows in some trailers are now being installed with a poor foam gasket, not the caulking type used in the past. It would be best to pull a leaking window and see what the issue is. Should you find inferior products sealing it, then they all should come out.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #9

Think I found the problem. The window has a two piece aluminum frame with a seam on the outside edge. You'd think the frame would be installed where the seam would be on the bottom, it's not, it was on the side. As I was wetting the window down with a water hose, wife was inside and saw a drop of water slowly weep thru the seam and begin running down the inside of the frame. I applied silicone sealant to all the windows that had that seam. Hope it worked.

Looked around the slide and couldn't find any obvious problems. It appeared to be pulled tight against the camper, all the gaskets looked tight so I don't know. It was raining hard and windy so I'm wondering if it was just due to rain getting blown in. The camper is not completely level, would that affect the seal on the slide?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

If the slide is out and it is on the high side of the unleveled trailer, yes that would contribute to the water problem. Those slide seals aren't perfect. Always move the slide in or out in one continual motion so that the wipers lay the right way.

As for the windows; if rain enters from the side, how could you travel on a rainy day?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #11

"Always move the slide in or out in one continual motion so that the wipers lay the right way" ... Thanks for this info, I did not know that. This particular slide was in at the time. I'm gonna give it the ol' water hose test after work today and see if I can duplicate the leak.

"As for the windows; if rain enters from the side, how could you travel on a rainy day?" ... I know, right, kinda like screen doors on a submarine. As a side note, there were a total of four windows with the seam/joint on the side, all of the seams were partially caulked, makes no sense why they wouldn't caulk the whole seam.