Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #1

2015 Silverado 2500 Integrated Braking System

We have been towing our 30 foot trailer with the setting at 6.0 on the braking system since we have owned it. On our last trip I plugged in the trailer to the truck and anytime I gently applied the brakes the trailer wheels locked up. I then reduced it to 5.0 and they still locked up. We came to a stop and I went out and unplugged the trailer and then plugged it back in. The brakes then worked fine for the trip home. I left it at 5.0

So, what could have caused this and should I be concerned? Is this common fix?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

6 or 5 seems high. I have a 40' fiver, and use 3.5 to 4. How does it react when you test with manual slider?
You could have no break pads if you run the brake bias too high.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Re:2015 Silverado 2500 Integrated Braking System

I also own a 2015 Silverado 2500 HD towing a 36 foot Cougar and I have my system set at 9.0. Now I am thinking I have mine set too high?

Ed I can't be of much help with your issue, sorry.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Every trailer is different. It depends on how the brake shoes are adjusted and the weight being stopped as to what controller setting is correct.

Suggest you check the brake adjustment on each wheel, then follow the correct procedure for your controller to determine the correct setting.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Re: Integrated Braking

Thanks Shiggs for your input.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

It's time to pull the drums and check the brakes.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

The trailer is still new. plus it did fine after I un-plugged it and plugged it in again and reduced to 5.0

So I think the settings are fine. Been driving at 6.0 with no issues since we bought it last summer. Probably just a fluke. If it happens again I will be more concerned.

Thanks..
Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

I've been told by several experienced "campers" that the proper way to adjust the trailer brakes is to first find a lonely stretch of road. Start by setting the brake kind of high, 5 or 6 and go 25-30mph and then apply the break manually. If the trailer breaks lock up repeat the process but with the trailer break gain a little less.....maybe 4.5. The objective is to get the break gain set to a point just below the point of the breaks locking up.

I too have a 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax with a 30' TT and my break gain is set to 3.5 or 4.0. If you have to set the gain at like 7 or 8 to get to the "just below lockup" then I think I would definitely have my trailer breaks inspected..
tsm1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1975 View Post
I've been told by several experienced "campers" that the proper way to adjust the trailer brakes is to first find a lonely stretch of road. Start by setting the brake kind of high, 5 or 6 and go 25-30mph and then apply the break manually. If the trailer breaks lock up repeat the process but with the trailer break gain a little less.....maybe 4.5. The objective is to get the break gain set to a point just below the point of the breaks locking up.

I too have a 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax with a 30' TT and my break gain is set to 3.5 or 4.0. If you have to set the gain at like 7 or 8 to get to the "just below lockup" then I think I would definitely have my trailer breaks inspected..

Your procedure is correct. However, the actual setting varies and as I stated above, it depends on the weight of your trailer and the adjustment of the trailer brakes.

The OP has reported, the trailer is new and the condition has improved. I would suggest that neither is a good reason to ignore the problem as it is the safety of yourself, your family, the other vehicles around you, and your investment you are gambling with. The problem may be as simple as a loose wiring connection that will again cause problems.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #10

Re: Integrated Braking System

Guys,
Being a newbie with this towing process, only towed the trailer on the road twice now, I need a better understanding of the braking system.

TSM, you state set the brake at 5 or 6 and drive 25 -30 mph and apply the brakes manually. By manually, does that mean stepping on the brake pedal? or squeezing the "tabs" on the dashboard braking system. I did this previously to test the brake system and the brakes did lock up. But I don't think I followed this procedure correctly. So I want to make sure that the next time I take the trailer out I do this correctly so i can get the brakes set properly.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Tim
Old 04-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #11

Yes, you squeeze the dashboard tabs to test.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

Yes as Parkerbill stated.......squeeze the tabs together...I believe it's actually the tab on the right that moves....if it locks up lower the setting a "smig" and try again. Repeat until it no longer locks up the trailer breaks.
tsm1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

Re: Integrated Braking System

Thanks guys for the info. Next time I am up at the trailer I will perform these steps to ensure I am set correctly.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timcharlie View Post
Guys,
Being a newbie with this towing process, only towed the trailer on the road twice now, I need a better understanding of the braking system.

TSM, you state set the brake at 5 or 6 and drive 25 -30 mph and apply the brakes manually. By manually, does that mean stepping on the brake pedal? or squeezing the "tabs" on the dashboard braking system. I did this previously to test the brake system and the brakes did lock up. But I don't think I followed this procedure correctly. So I want to make sure that the next time I take the trailer out I do this correctly so i can get the brakes set properly.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Tim
Yes the one on the break controller.