Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2018, 03:44 AM   #1

2017 Whitehawk 27 DSRL vs 2014 Arctic Fox 25Y

I am looking at either of these units. I welcome any thoughts.
oldfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Arctic Fox are better built than most any other brands. Still dependent on how it was maintained.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I might be biased but just completed what feels like years of research, exploring, comparing, evaluating, crossing off my list, adding back to my list...

We began with the budget- what did we want to spend? Once we figured that out, we looked at numerous Jaycos (my first camping experience was as a teenager traveling across the country in a Jayco pop-up with my family) as well as just about every type of RVout there: Class A, Class B+, Class C, and travel trailers. We had a litany of models and manufacturers that were the choice of the day: "A 26N, huh??" "A 36Y???" "The 235RLS is the one!" We then narrowed our search to travel trailers as we needed to replace our aged pickup regardless of what else we did.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or perhaps I was being reactive instead of evaluative, but after a while we began to make quick, initial assessments of build and material quality. We know that this is impacted by how well each one was kept during its life but at this point, we were checking out new travel trailers.

If the trailer looked as fit and finish was good and felt solid as we opened doors and poked around, we would look further into it. If our first impression was less than stellar workmanship or materials, we would move on. We were not able to do this when we first began our search but in the last year or so, we realized that is what we were doing.

I have to confess that once we had an opportunity to walk inside an Arctic Fox, it was to AF we then compared all other TT's.

We chose an AF 25Y for lots of reasons. For two of us and our two dogs, the amount of room and layout was what we needed. It has a residential queen, two doors, a (more or less) roomy shower without much of a step-up, shared space with shower/sink and bedroom (which we really like!), good size oven, lots of windows, solid steps (and four instead of three!), good insulation... the list can go on. (OK, maybe I am a bit biased... :-) )

We found a pristine 2016 25Y within our budget limitations and are so happy with our choice.

Ultimately, I have learned that all TT's are good. I was advised repeatedly that you need to be comfortable with your choice- whatever that choice might be. If you like your TT, you will use it! If you don't like your TT, it will sit in your driveway... and what fun is that!?!

Good luck on your search! I hope you find the TT for you!

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

While I absolutely love my Jayco, I have heard/read very good things about the Arctic Fox, especially for winter camping.
On the other hand, I have read/heard a lot of complaints on the newer Jayco's after THOR took them over. It seems quality took a dive and more shoddy workmanship has left the factory ☹️
Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

I'm in the midst of trailer shopping this year and I have researched so many brands and put so many hours that I'm at a point of analysis paralysis! The whitehawk and freedom express where at the top of my list at one time but now a Nash (northwood) and ORV is at the top. More than likely going with the nash. But I also plan on doing some boondocking so the frame, ground clearance, solar prep ready, true 4 seasons camper are some of my big reasons. But the Jayco would have that nice 2 year warranty so that's gotta count for something. Good luck in your search!
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #6

The new whitehawks are beautiful, I just have a problem with some of the junk Jayco puts out. If you get a good one and take care of it I'm sure you'll be happy. Have them both inspected, wisest money you ever spent.

Now ask which one is more solidly built? Hands down no comparison AF.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And give their cousin company a try. ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing

AF, Nash and Outdoors RV were all started by Ron Nash and operate within miles of each other, although they are separate companies. They build their own frames under Northwoods Manufacturing.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

If we ever go back to a towable it would be AF.