Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #29

IMO if someone with a capable (CCC) wants to tow a 10,000 lb TT then they should invest in a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride WDH. I bet the towing won't be any different than a guy with 6000-7000 behind him. I might be pushing it a bit with 10,000 lbs so maybe 8500-9000 lbs. I've used an HA with an F150 and a 31' 7300 lb TT. It felt no different than my current 2500 and 9300 lb 5th wheel. One hand on the wheel and non eventful going by semi's or in windy conditions. Until you use an HA or PP you just don't understand.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #30

I know that my Drawtite WD hitch really seemed to tie the trailer to the truck. If the wizz bang Hensley or Pro-Pride can do a much better job of tying the trailer to the truck then it would be easily worth it. I never tried a Pro-Pride or Hensley but heard other say they do a good job.

That would be a lot less expensive then buying a bigger truck.

I think the 2011 Ram is a real nice truck and should have the power needed to tow an 8,000lb trailer. Couple that with a Pro-Pride or Hensley WD hitch with sway control and you might be good to go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #31

I tow a 8,400lbs dry, 9,900lbs max 37ft TT with a 2018 XLT F-150 HDPP, 3.5 E.B. 6.5 box, with a 11,500lbs rating, 2,475lbs payload, 1,320lbs hitch.

The truck tows and handle the rig very well, even up to 30 MPH winds. Big rigs have more problems with the wind staying in their lanes than I do, and I wouldn't want to tow in higher winds even if I had a larger and more capable truck.

Big rigs gives a "push" as it comes alongside the cab, but no pull, and the setup is not upset, I just need to put both hands on the wheel and give slight counter pressure against the push. The closer and faster they pass by, the more noticeable the push, but half the time, I don't feel anything.

I won't try to tow my TT with the Max Tow, nor would I want to try towing without those super stiff Goodyear Endurance on the TT, which provide a solid feeling, and the trailer stays in the lane, even when being passed, or in the middle lane with big rigs on both sides... no wandering or movement from the trailer.
Maury82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #32

Wow, that is a lot of trailer for any truck. What speed do you tow that giant trailer on the freeway?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #33

I get around 8.8 - 9.0 mpg pulling my TT that is loaded around approximately 9,300lbs with my HDPP F-150 E.B.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Wow, that is a lot of trailer for any truck. What speed do you tow that giant trailer on the freeway?
I tow at 65 MPH, and get close to 9.0 MPG, and that is more to save gas versus anything to do with the handling. At 70 mph, I was getting 8.0 MPG to 8.5 MPG. The HDPP trucks handles its towing ratings well. This is my first year towing, and I gain my confidence because the setup handles great.

I'm not a truck guy, and even with the truck is unloaded it was uncomfortable to me, as I prefer to drive a car versus a truck. The truck is for towing, and it get very limited use when not towing... its fast, but wide, gets low 20s MPG, bulky, long, sits high, and cumbersome, and there is nothing enjoyable about driving it. It does what I purchase it to do very well, and that is to tow.

I'm sure it handles great for a truck though, and its tolerable to drive versus a car.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
By the way, I have never towed with less than a half tank of fresh water (43 gallons), and most of my towing has occurred with full fresh tanks, or full gray and half full fresh tank. The truck tows with full tanks well, but when I do empty the tanks (except half the fresh), the difference is noticeable a lighter feeling, which is probably due to less sloshing around.

The truck was a great compromise of meeting my towing needs, but tolerable enough to driver when not towing. A heavier truck would be more capable, but can't hold a candle in braking, speed, nimbleness, etc, to the F-150 EB, 10 speed when not towing, and it was the only truck on the market that offered a compromise I could deal with.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat2017 View Post
Hi Earl, advice prior has been good but I'll add one item that hasn't been stated. I drive a 2016 3.5EB Max Tow Package pulling 7200lbs fully loaded TT. I've been across the US north and south up and down high mountain passes with NO issues. One hand on steering wheel and other with coffee cup. However... I'm likely pulling over sooner than F250/350 in cross winds and certain I'm leaning on my little V6 harder than the big boys with their power stroke engines. Agree with others 10K load puts you in F250 range and you will be happy with your decision.
My max wind gusts are 30mph, and while those gust's does move my rig, it does so as a unit and doesn't toss me around like I thought it might have based on those guys tried to portray the doom and gloom. I can travel in such winds, but it is the big rigs that can't stay in their lanes.

That is what scares me.

My HDPP scaled at 5,600lbs with full tank and only me in the vehicle.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #37

That 3.5 Eco-Boost engine is really powerful. I know that truck is fast. Sounds like you do have a good set-up. And I bet that is a comfortable trailer. When I test drove trucks the 3.5 Eco-Boost was the fastest. And they are making travel trailers like 5th wheels.

Does you trailer have 3 slides? I bet it does and again is very comfortable.

Humm, I kinda like driving my truck vs the car and it is a F-250. Gas milage sux but the truck is smooth, quiet and comfortable to travel in.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #38

A travel trailer with a slightly lower profile will pull amazing. People get to hung up on numbers. The key is low profile tt and know how to set up the hitch. The rear bumper should drop exactly the same distance as the front bumper when hitched. If not then you will have handling issues.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #39

Quote:
That 3.5 Eco-Boost engine is really powerful. I know that truck is fast. Sounds like you do have a good set-up. And I bet that is a comfortable trailer. When I test drove trucks the 3.5 Eco-Boost was the fastest. And they are making travel trailers like 5th wheels.

Does you trailer have 3 slides? I bet it does and again is very comfortable.

Humm, I kinda like driving my truck vs the car and it is a F-250. Gas milage sux but the truck is smooth, quiet and comfortable to travel in.
Yes it has 3 slides.

The truck is a nice truck and fast, but the physical size and bulkiness is just a big disadvantage in getting through traffic, and most of the time I'm driving it, I'm constantly wishing I drove the car instead, and is definitely not my preferred type of vehicles for a daily driver or traveling vehicle when not towing.

As a matter, I'm out of town now for the holidays, and I never even considered taking that big tank.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post
I pull a Jayco 29 RLDS with a 2018 F150 3.5L Ecoboost, Trailer Tow package. Truck has a 1932 lb. payload capacity. I have added LT tires as well.

Trailer weighs 8270 loaded with a 1400 lb tongue weight with no water on board. I use a Propride hitch. With 160 lbs of batteries on the trailer A frame. I am pushing the load limits of the truck. It is just fine for the 100 mile trip to the state park. The 3500 mile round trip to SD last summer, no so much. F250 would have been much better I believe.

Get a 3/4 ton. I would if I was doing it over again.
That is a heavy tongue weight, even for my HDPP, and my hitch is rated at 1,3200bs. An extra 500lbs of payload capacity would smooth out any bounce I hear the Max Tow has when towing heavy.

My tongue is 1,200lbs or a bit more, and my rig comes in at 9,500lbs when carrying grey and some fresh water, but it's a relax tow, but you can feel the water sloshing around back there.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
A travel trailer with a slightly lower profile will pull amazing. People get to hung up on numbers. The key is low profile tt and know how to set up the hitch. The rear bumper should drop exactly the same distance as the front bumper when hitched. If not then you will have handling issues.
Not sure how that works. When you drop the coupler on the WDH the rear lowers and the front raises. Every truck/SUV MFG never say to drop the front as much as the rear.
They all say to return the front to OEM height or partially back to OEM ride height. The front should always be at OEM or slightly higher than OEM ride height and the rear usually drops 1"-2".
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrahn View Post
As an RV tech I have seen many peoples haul 10000 lb. trailers with half tons. However, the question is do you really want to put your truck at pretty much maximum effort hauling this trailer. It is hard on the truck. It also depends how often you pull the trailer. If it is short trips a few times a year I don't see a problem with that. If you are doing allot of long distance trips I personally would use at least a 3/4 ton truck for that size trailer. I also would not personally haul anything over 8000 lbs. with a half ton. But this is just my opinion. It all comes down to how much you want to push your truck.
Me personally, towing heavy is the only reason why I need a truck, and manufactures designed and engineered heavier duty payload and towing packages just for that very reason,so I don't get your reasoning.

To me, you are saying to not use the truck for what it is designed to do. I can see had you said to change fluids and filter sooner, or to even use a higher quality fluid, but to not use a vehicle for what it was designed to do, that doesn't add up to me.

Tags
ford, tow, towing, trailer