Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

205/70r/14 load range D??

Another poster suggested I get load range D tires to give me more capacity on my new TT. I have looked around a bit and didn't spot any. Has anyone else upgraded this size to a load range D before?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

What is your current load range on the factory equipped tires ?
How does the weight carrying capacity of the tires compare to the axle weight rating and GVWR of the TT?

Installing a stronger tire will help the stability of the TT , BUT it will not increase the carrying capacity.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Maybe you could use these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Sizes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

If it was my trailer I would go with the commercial grade Kumho 857 euro size tires.
The Kumho 857 are a all position tire and are very popular with trailer owners of all types.

Your ST205/75-14 probably is a C load range at 1760 lbs capacity at 50 psi with a 26.1" diameter.
The Kumho 195R14C is a load range D at 2094 lb capacity at 65 psi with a 26.2" diameter.

Check them out.
ooops look like lynnmor made home first.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #5

Thanks for the replys

As noted by a previous poster, the tires on my TT are load range C 205/75r/14 (not 70r). I will look into those tires. I will want to be sure my rims are good for 65PSI also. I am not wanting to exceed the axle rating just looking for a decent margin of comfort. The tires on it are Constancy LY188... definitely Chinese made.

Sometimes I wonder if the Chinese aren't getting better at making tires. Since most tires are now made there, surely some are decent. I hear lots about Maxxis brand but what is that based on? Anyway, I remember when made in Japan was a automatic indicator of poorly made and to be avoided.... then as the years went by their products became a standard of well made items. That being said.... I drive a RAM and a Chevy. Too bad the RAM was assembled in Mexico??

Bottom line.. does anyone have first hand experience, good or bad, with the Constancy brand?

I realize this has morphed into a coupla threads.. kinda hijacked myself.

Have fun. Mike

Edit... just followed the link to the suggested load D tires and saw two of three comments were negative and involved unexplained blowouts. ???
Old 08-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

I went from the original equipment Chinese tires that were completely worn out in about a year to Maxxis tires and they are holding up well. Mine were actually made in Thailand. They are Taiwan based. The maximum inflation pressure of the wheel should be stamped on the back of the rim. Upgrade to metal stem valves when you change tires, too.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Edit... just followed the link to the suggested load D tires and saw two of three comments were negative and involved unexplained blowouts. ???
This will probably get me some deserved derision from some folks, but when I hear about "unexplained blowouts" on a trailer that simply tells me that there was most likely an issue with tire maintenance or cold inflation pressure. IOW, folks aren't checking their tires properly. Without any other information about what caused the blowout, I can only speculate, and most of the time I'd bet money that I'm correct on this, that the owner/operator isn't taking proper care of their tires.

You'll notice that on those reviews, not one of the two folks with the problems mention anything about how they check their tires, the cold inflation, or the condition of the tire in the morning when they pre-trip inspection their vehicles.

This stuff isn't rocket science, folks. Check those tires before you drive.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Although I don't have any experience with Constancy tires I do agree with the above post. I purchased a full set of Carlisle tires two years ago and am pleased to report no problems at this time. Many folks here have reported having issues with this brand however.
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
This will probably get me some deserved derision from some folks, but when I hear about "unexplained blowouts" on a trailer that simply tells me that there was most likely an issue with tire maintenance or cold inflation pressure.....
No derision here, just disagree a bit. I've been following ST tire threads here and on other RV forums for more years than I'd like to admit. Anecdotally, a lot of folks with blowout or tread separation complaints say they properly set their PSI, stayed within the 65mph speed restriction, used tire protectant or covered the tires when not in use, yet still had problems. In those instances, I believe it more likely the tires just aged out because that's what most ST tires do.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

If it helps I went from 205's on my TT to 215's... the slight increase in diameter of the tire is hard to notice, but it does bump up load capacity some.. made me feel alittle better about it!

chertz is offline   Reply With Quote